General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

get a safe low 11/high 10 sec car, boost or na?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default get a safe low 11/high 10 sec car, boost or na?

i dont need specifics yet, but i would like some opinions. Which is the smarter. most cost effective, and safe way to make 450-500whp and have a solid 10 sec to low 11 seccar? which set up would last longer and be cheaper..a turbo/sc set up or a na setup on a new ls6 engine? WITHOUT SPRAY!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

a F.I. setup is usually always more expensive and puts more wear on internal parts, but either setup should last if done/tuned the right way.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are Heads/cam/intake cars with sticky tires on here, easily hitting those numbers with autos. I would think it would be alot cheaper to hit low 11's that way than FI. Now if you wanted to hit 9's, FI is the way to go. Either way, you are going to need some drive train mods to be able to withstand the power.

TSP has some nice setups with ported GM heads, and their cams that make 450 rwhp. I intend to go this way eventually, but i'm building up my drivetrain before hand, cause i hate breaking ****.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say big stall, gears, H/C, Fast, supporting mods, suspension, and chop a little weight would be the easiest/cheapest way.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you an m6 or a4? makes a big difference.

N/A
making 450 rwhp wont be hard. with a well thought out setup, you can do that on ls6 intake and (ported) heads. the higher you wanna go, the more you spend. a FAST becomes nessecary here, then the big TB to go with it, maybe porting on both. youll probably want to swtich to AFR/TFS or the PRC(not ls6 or 5.3) big cc castings. maybe you want porting/millign on these as well? building a vavletrain to hold all of this with confidence is where more money comes in, as well as the bottom end.

FORCED INDUCTION
i would give this MULTIPLE LONG lookovers. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
basically, its saying you be made of cash and have even more on deck to spend. 500rwhp isnt hard at all on boost, but then you need to start thinking of building the motor(top and bottom end), trans, converter/clutch, rear will become an issue if launching hard, getting a lot of fuel to that thirsty combo, suspension and tires to get the power to the ground. all of that REALLY adds up quick. on top of those major things, its the little **** that will eat you apart. ive looked VERY hard into FI and convinced myself i could afford it, but then i kept rethinking it and i just would not have enough to keep pouring into the build to get where i wanted.

with all that said, why are you so opposed to nitrous? when used correctly, it is perfectly safe and TONS cheaper than either of the other 2 routes. you could add a cam, and make up the difference in spray. 500rwhp becomes EASILY doable.

you should really pick which one you want, a dyno # or a track time. dyno #s are for bench racing, if you want to run a number at the track, build the car for that number and deal with whatever numbers come out of it. would you be pissed to only make 440rwhp but run an 11.00? autos have it alot easier, but definitely not impossible for a manual.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need a budget!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

NA... Aside from that, why would you not want to spray a baby shot... You could make a VERY mild H/C setup to get you mid 11s and spray a 125 shot to get you into the solid 10s.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stall, cam, heads, spray... and save a few bucks for when the rear end blows up.

ok.. "WITHOUT SPRAY" and WITH A LOT OF MONEY, i'd go with a front mount turbo and forged internals setup.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Teching In

The car is a m6. im not completly opposed to nitrous, im not to knowledgable and it seems i only hear bad things in the long run. i would rather prefer cam only for now and hopefully get into the 11s. it is a daily driver for now, its just it only has 2000 miles on it so i want to make sure whatever route i go, it lasts to its full potential.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
NKAWTG...N

FI will always cost more.

Why no spray? That would definitely be the quickest, cheapest, and safest route.

A bullet proof 10 sec motor car isn't gonna be cheap either.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

The easiest was is usually the most expensive. If you want power all the time(cause spray runs out) and you want a pretty reliable setup, just get the normal bolt ons and buy a procharger. you can install all of it in one day and tuned the next and be running 500rwhp at around 7psi. Very simple.

N/A requires you to get inside that motor and sometimes depending on the parts you buy can be more expensive that the FI setup I just mentioned.

Oh by the way, do not forget about your drivetrain! clutch, tranny, rear end, etc.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dgu1rt
im not completly opposed to nitrous, im not to knowledgable and it seems i only hear bad things in the long run.
From who? Ricers? Uninformed car people? Non car people?
Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
The easiest was is usually the most expensive. If you want power all the time(cause spray runs out) and you want a pretty reliable setup, just get the normal bolt ons and buy a procharger. you can install all of it in one day and tuned the next and be running 500rwhp at around 7psi. Very simple.

N/A requires you to get inside that motor and sometimes depending on the parts you buy can be more expensive that the FI setup I just mentioned.

Oh by the way, do not forget about your drivetrain! clutch, tranny, rear end, etc.
Hardly any NA setup, especially for his times, is not going to cost the same, or close to a procharger setup that is going to be as reliable and safe as the NA setup.
The procharger setup will be able to make more power, but not for the same price.

I have priced it... I decided to stay NA.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've built my car from the rearend forward. Next upgrade will be the motor. I'm in the 11's and hoping with the new tune on monday and some time at the track will be in the 10's this year. It cost money either way so just do it right the first time.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Step 1. Don't use the words "long lasting" and "cost effective" in the same sentence.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will tell u this..
if i could do it all over again, with the money ive spent on mods.. heads/cam/intake/nitrous, clutches.. yada, yada
i would have thrown a turbo on the car and called it a day. Easy 500 rwhp all day long.
theres a local guy out here whose put 7XXrwhp down with a stock LS6
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Step 1. Don't use the words "long lasting" and "cost effective" in the same sentence.
LMAO I agree to this

From what i have been seeing basically if you do a all motor setup you'll be building the motor and if you go F.I. you will be still building the motor just a different way and the paying for the F.I.. (that is if you do it right) So if all you want is 500 rwhp i would stay N/A. If you want closer to 700 rwhp i would lean more to F.I.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

A lot of money and time whatever route you go. Good luck!