General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I bother sticking with synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I bother sticking with synthetic oil?

I have been running 5w-30 Pennzoil platinum for the past 13k miles, but now I am considering going back to conventional. Mainly because I NEVER go over 3k on my oil changes. Even with synthetic I just can't bring myself to do it. I am completely **** about all my other maintenance too, and I typical service other fluids twice in the time they recommend changing it once.

FWIW I get full synthetic oil changes with wix filters for like 33$ after tax.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't change it.

I'd never run conventional in my ls1, but thats just me.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would not run anything but syn in my ls1. i never go over 2700-2800 miles. pepboys always seems to have mobil 1 5quarts/filter for 29.99 when i need it. just don't forget the 2 extra quarts, but lets not start that thread again.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,205 Posts

It will run just fine on conventional. Unless you're really pushing the engine to extremes (in terms of rpm/WOT operation, tons of miles/time between changes, or severe temperature conditions....like cold starts well below 0°F), conventional is just fine. Your factory fill was conventional, it won't hurt a thing.

I use synthetic because I don't like to be bothered with oil changes every 3 mon./3k miles.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To me, using conventional oil would be like....using a lower grade ammunition for a gun. You could use it, and it may not "hurt" anything, but as long as you can afford the better stuff, why not?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Your factory fill was conventional, it won't hurt a thing.
Don't forget the Factory fill for Corvettes was Mobil 1 synthetic for LS1's. I have had 13 LSX vehicles and never used conventional oil.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We run conventional in just about everything around here unless the customer requests otherwise. One of the owners did some oil analysis tests a while back and the results were pretty surprising. A lot of the big name synthetics didn't prove to be worth the money.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
We run conventional in just about everything around here unless the customer requests otherwise. One of the owners did some oil analysis tests a while back and the results were pretty surprising. A lot of the big name synthetics didn't prove to be worth the money.
x2 running good quality conventional oil and changing it at 3-4k is just great.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Don't forget the Factory fill for Corvettes was Mobil 1 synthetic for LS1's.
.....and the factory fill for the LS1 F-bodies was conventional (unless you ordered the synthetic fill package from SLP).

Corvette has been receiving a synthetic factory fill since the LT1 introduction in 1992; but the F-bodies never did.

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
I have had 13 LSX vehicles and never used conventional oil
I've had 4 LSXs spanned over 10+ years time, and I've always used synthetic too..... but that's only because I've fit into the "severe" category for one reason or another. If I was doing 3mon/3k changes with basic daily driver operation, I would not waste money on synthetic.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Short intervals using synthetic is a waste of money. PP is a good oil, but if you're just going to change at 2k or whatever, there's not much point.

Since oil changes at short intervals is simply for entertainment purposes, if you want cheaper entertainment go to any name brand conventional oil. Neither you nor your car will know the difference.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i was told by several vendors on here that conventional is just fine for these cars. I was running synthetic and switched to conventional and no issues. Mabye if your car had alot of miles then I might consider but otherwise conventional is just fine.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

if you dont go over 3k on your oil, your an idiot. Why do people stick to the old train of thought. Many many many many many many many many many test have been done on OEM engines to show that more than 3k is fine. Its been proven time and time again. Why not just change the oil everytime you drive the car, it makes just as much sense.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i tend to take a long time between changes so ill stick with synthetic.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
if you dont go over 3k on your oil, your an idiot. Why do people stick to the old train of thought. Many many many many many many many many many test have been done on OEM engines to show that more than 3k is fine. Its been proven time and time again. Why not just change the oil everytime you drive the car, it makes just as much sense.
Ah I am an idiot for treating my car to good......

There are a lot of things that *can* wait or *can* be done less, but why chance it?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
Oh good, I went 3100 miles before my last oil change so at least I'm not an idiot . You're probably the guy that believes in the once a year oil changes because you bought the 15K mile synthetic right? The 3K mark is a guideline that we've been using in our family and we have a 99 grand am with 255K original miles, a 01 chevy express with 210K miles, and my 98 TA with 252K original miles so I think it has worked well for us. Oil changes are cheap insurance and just because you run synthetic and it "doesn't" break down as fast as conventional doesn't mean it doesn't get contaminated.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
There are a lot of things that *can* wait or *can* be done less, but why chance it?
I think calling people an idiot is too harsh. However, you aren't really "chancing" anything. If you're going 3k or less, and don't fit the severe driving category, you're simply wasting money on synthetic. So my response is, why waste money for no benefit?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think calling people an idiot is too harsh. However, you aren't really "chancing" anything. If you're going 3k or less, and don't fit the severe driving category, you're simply wasting money on synthetic. So my response is, why waste money for no benefit?
I wanted to see what other peoples opinions were on this subject. Which is how this thread came about. I may switch back to conventional since in all honesty I probably am wasting my money. Most of my driving is highway now and I rarely drive hard anymore. At work I get conventional oil changes for 20$ and synthetic for 33$...Not a huge difference in price, but every bit counts.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Ah I am an idiot for treating my car to good......

Your not treating it good, your actually exposing it to more danger by opening up the system over and over again, then your wasting oil for no good reason. Oil actually lubricates better with mileage (to a point)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Oh good, I went 3100 miles before my last oil change so at least I'm not an idiot . You're probably the guy that believes in the once a year oil changes because you bought the 15K mile synthetic right? The 3K mark is a guideline that we've been using in our family and we have a 99 grand am with 255K original miles, a 01 chevy express with 210K miles, and my 98 TA with 252K original miles so I think it has worked well for us. Oil changes are cheap insurance and just because you run synthetic and it "doesn't" break down as fast as conventional doesn't mean it doesn't get contaminated.
See above post and no, I dont run synthetic oil. I do run mobile 1 clean 5000, which is a conventional oil. For everyone that has run their car over 200k on 3k oil changes, theres someone who has the same mileage running conventional oils. I can tell you that I have run many miles on this conventional oil (6-7k) with the OLM telling me I had 20% left and it still comes out looking clean. Point being, 3k oil changes are a waste unless you are doing nothing but thrashing on the car, or making many short trips (like 5 miles or less) where the car gets to cool off for extended periods of time
Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

This thread has me thinking about going back to conventional. Right now I use Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and change it ever 5k.

Quick Reply: Should I bother sticking with synthetic oil?