General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Free Mod Gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Free Mod Gains

Sorry if this is a re-post. This article isn’t exactly new but I’ve never seen it before. It’s an interesting read. For those who won’t click the link, they dynoed a stock T/A, then did the free mods and dynoed it again. They showed a 10.4 WHP gain from these mods. Not bad, def. worth doing.
I’ve read countless threads arguing over how much power free mods give and if they’re worth it or not.
Hope this can shead some light.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ons/index.html
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool article. Ive already done a few of those mods but i still need to port my TB and move that coolant hose.

BTW are you guys having any get togethers in lincoln/omaha anytime soon?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing too big that I know of. I usually just go drive around at nights.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember pulling my lid apart one night to do the free ram air mod only to find it all already been done. I ditched the A.I.R, E.G.R. and did the coolant bypass mod to pass time on a boring afternoon. It's fun to tinker for the hell of it, but decent gains are always a welcomed plus.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

interesting. descent gains for not having to spend any money.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Shops have seen 7 hp gains from ported tb's so that most of the gains.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

I felt a gain and seen it on the clock also
Old 05-22-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, most of that is probable the TB, one thing that that I hear is just stupid is descreening the MAF, heard it can cause problems and allow little particles that the air filter misses to get in the engine.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, most of that is probable the TB, one thing that that I hear is just stupid is descreening the MAF, heard it can cause problems and allow little particles that the air filter misses to get in the engine.
thats some funny ****
Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

^Regardless its a fact that there is no HP gain from porting or descreening the MAF so why do it? And ive seen and heard of people finding bugs and other crap in there, so I dont see how its so funny...
Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Wow i wish GTOs had more of these available.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
^Regardless its a fact that there is no HP gain from porting or descreening the MAF so why do it? And ive seen and heard of people finding bugs and other crap in there, so I dont see how its so funny...
Where are these facts about no HP gain from descreening the MAF? I read somewhere (ill try to find the article now) that the screened MAF flows around 800 cfm and the descreened MAF around 1000 cfm. Theres gotta be at least a small HP gain there.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice article. Again, most of that 10rwhp is from the ported throttle body, probably 5-7hp. Overall everything they did is worth a good car length in the quarter. And yes, SLP has done extensive testing with the stock Maf. The stock Maf is limited to about 800cfm where removing the screen is worth over 1000cfm. The majority of people who descreen their Mafs don't have the idle problems people have made it out to have.

What happened is a couple people on this site had irregular idles after descreening the maf. This turned into, "Some people have idle problems after descreening the maf", then "A lot of people are having idle problems after descreening the maf", and finally every Tom, Dick and Harry saying, "Don't remove you maf or you'll be sorry! You'll have a lot of problems!" My brother, Me, and a lot of guys in our car club, and hundreds of members on this site have removed their Maf screens with no problems. I bet the people saying you'll have a problem have never removed their screens or had a friend that did either, they heard from a guy that heard it from a guy that heard it from a guy...ect...until finally it becomes that if you remove your maf you'll have all these "problems".

And the screen is not there to keep twigs and bugs out of your engine! Some guy told me, "well I found a bunch of crap like bugs and sticks on my screen, if it wasn't there it would have been sucked into the engine." Guys, if you're finding crap on your maf screen you have a serious problem up further in the intake section. Somewhere you have a leak and crap is getting through. If bugs and twigs are getting through can you imagine how much dust and dirt is getting past the Maf?

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 05-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, I remember that article (i have that issue in my personal library). One of the first "mods" i did lol. Every little bit helps!!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

i think its interesting how a good port makes up most of the hp that they gained, but i wonder if they would have picked anything else up using new spark plugs and upgraded wires?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
this is false information. at the shop i work at we've done multiple dyno tests back to back screened maf vs descreened maf and every single time it will pick up anywhere from 3 to 6 hp at the tires time and time again and that is fact. the only purpose of the screen is to straighten the air out going into the maf IF there are turns in front of it but most intake setups out there are a straight shot into the maf and then make turns after the maf. so if there are no turns in front of your maf descreen it and you will pick up a bit of power.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Cool article. Ive already done a few of those mods but i still need to port my TB and move that coolant hose.

BTW are you guys having any get togethers in lincoln/omaha anytime soon?
Go to nestreetscene.com the Omaha forum- Make sure you join the General Motor's sub-forum, and Starcityracing.com is the Lincoln forum, there is also gmmodernmuscle.com Which is an all Nebraska forum. There should be a bunch going on this weekend it's the Hotrod Nationals/Americruise in Lincoln we all plan on meeting up at 7pm at the outlet malls and crusing to Lincoln, check the General Events section for more information on it, it also has info on other car-shows/cruises. We normally get together cruise and have some street fun, every other week or so.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssinister550
this is false information. at the shop i work at we've done multiple dyno tests back to back screened maf vs descreened maf and every single time it will pick up anywhere from 3 to 6 hp at the tires time and time again and that is fact. the only purpose of the screen is to straighten the air out going into the maf IF there are turns in front of it but most intake setups out there are a straight shot into the maf and then make turns after the maf. so if there are no turns in front of your maf descreen it and you will pick up a bit of power.
Im with this guy. In Will Handzel's book on building and modifying LS1/LS6 V8's he says descreening the MAF is the first mod that should be done to any MAF on an LS vehicle with a straight intakes (all f-bodies). He's the program manager at the GM Performance Parts division so ill go with his word.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

another gain is you get the satisfaction of tinkering
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^im glad i kept my maf screen in because the weather stripping from my slp lid came off somehow and i found it stuck on my maf screen.

Quick Reply: Free Mod Gains