General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

First Fluid swap anyone with M6 car should do..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Default First Fluid swap anyone with M6 car should do..

Just saying

This :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

+

This :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

=

Match made in heaven! My shifts were getting so notchy and just felt like crap. So I swaped whatever was in there when i bought it with the Lube above. Shifts amazing, buttery smooth now

Also put in some Royal Purple in the Diff, no complaints there either
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two kinds of GM synchromesh fluids. I purchased the one with the friction modifiers. I'll have to check on the part number. Should go in soon.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much a quart? (i know, i am lazy)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

14.99-20.99$ a Quart looks like. But can you put a price on fluids that will last 50kmi+ i rather not change metal...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
14.99-20.99$ a Quart looks like. But can you put a price on fluids that will last 50kmi+ i rather not change metal...
uh, whoa! so exactly how much does a synchro kit cost in a t56?

Oneonta NY. i've been there before. caught my first trout and had my first ginnesy beer. (i am pretty sure i misspelled that)
i dated a girl who had family in davenport.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSXNV
uh, whoa! so exactly how much does a synchro kit cost in a t56?

Oneonta NY. i've been there before. caught my first trout and had my first ginnesy beer. (i am pretty sure i misspelled that)
i dated a girl who had family in davenport.
Very nice! Not much here.
I am wondering the same also...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

I take it you can only get that stuff at the dealer? I changed my fluid last year to mobil 1 atf. so far I dont care for it that much. The shifts between 1st and 2nd seem a lil notchy now until it warms up. I also noticed it was harder to shift when outside temp is below freezing until it warmed up. Also have had 2 random occasions where it didnt wanna go into reverse but that could have been because my clutch fluid was dirty.

do you get that stuff at the dealer?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99 z
I take it you can only get that stuff at the dealer? I changed my fluid last year to mobil 1 atf. so far I dont care for it that much. The shifts between 1st and 2nd seem a lil notchy now until it warms up. I also noticed it was harder to shift when outside temp is below freezing until it warmed up. Also have had 2 random occasions where it didnt wanna go into reverse but that could have been because my clutch fluid was dirty.

do you get that stuff at the dealer?
I have mobil 1 in mine also. Tremec said it was the only other approved synthetic at the time I changed mine. They also said not recommened for cold weather. I only drive in summer anyway, so figured no big deal. But I'm not sure now after more driving it was the right move. I may be changing it out again for some synchromesh.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I worked at this trans shop a while ago. What these guys would do if a manual trans took the synchromesh fluid is they would mix some 90w gear oil in with the DexATF & use that. Kinda looked similar to the synchromesh fluid. I dont remember how much 90w they mixed in but as far as I know they never had a problem doing this.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I worked at this trans shop a while ago. What these guys would do if a manual trans took the synchromesh fluid is they would mix some 90w gear oil in with the DexATF & use that. Kinda looked similar to the synchromesh fluid. I dont remember how much 90w they mixed in but as far as I know they never had a problem doing this.
What's the name of this shop so I know never to go there.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
What's the name of this shop so I know never to go there.
That was in Indiana
Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Amsoil Synchromesh works great too and any Synchromesh isnt recommended for below freezing cold weather...

Once Synchromesh gets heated up to a normal temp its perfectly fine though. I let my car warm up before driving even in Texas winters, it makes an engine last longer. Gives everything a chance to get lubricated and everything thermally expand to operating size. If you jump in your car on a cold day and just go... your scratching your cylinder walls. Engine will last much longer if you let it come up to operating temp before leaving. That or just try and keep the RPMs at 2k or below til its up to operating temp.

Love my Amsoil Synchromesh...
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Poolshark: We are talking about T56 oil here.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poolshark1321
Amsoil Synchromesh works great too and any Synchromesh isnt recommended for below freezing cold weather...

Once Synchromesh gets heated up to a normal temp its perfectly fine though. I let my car warm up before driving even in Texas winters, it makes an engine last longer. Gives everything a chance to get lubricated and everything thermally expand to operating size. If you jump in your car on a cold day and just go... your scratching your cylinder walls. Engine will last much longer if you let it come up to operating temp before leaving. That or just try and keep the RPMs at 2k or below til its up to operating temp.

Love my Amsoil Synchromesh...
I disagree with waiting for operating temp before driving, just a waste of gas IMO, I do, however, agree with not running above 2K until up to operating temp.

Originally Posted by eseibel67
He started off talking about Synchromesh for the t56
Old 06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Is it a crime to go off topic slightly... its not like I started talking about strippers and blow. It was still very car related...

In response to 1SwLs1...

I know an old man who swore by warming his truck up for a good 3-5 mins before driving anywhere. That old 350 chevy pickup lasted him 300k miles and its still going... never been rebuilt, just basic maintenance and the extra precaution during the winter. During the summer or any normal temps I dont think its nearly as necessary and your fine just keeping it under 2k for a lil bit til its at operating temp. But in cold weather I let mine warm until I see the temp gauge start moving.