General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

keep the ws6 or buy a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep the ws6 or buy a vette?

Well Im gettin the itch to try something new..right now I have a 2001 ws6 A4 with 115000 miles. Its a bolt on car. I love the car but have been debating on selling and getting a c5 or c5 z06 and it will be a 6 speed. So if you were me would you keep the trans am and just make it a stalled auto, swap it over to six speed or sell it and get a vette? Is the z06 worth the extra $? No matter what I do the motor internals will remain stock. It will be a daily driver so I want ok gas mileage and rarely if ever see a track so Im not going for a drag car I want a unique/enjoyable dd.

things I like about the TA: overall apperance I like better over any vette and owning something that will never be made again, I really like the t tops but hate convertable cars but I hate the cheap interior on f bodys. Its a 4 seater.

the vette: just being able to say I own a vette lol..six speed, nicer interior, smoother ride?..only seats 2..what happens when a family comes along

Not sure what I want to do here guys..any suggestions are greatly appreicated!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

For a daily driver/cruiser I would rather have the vette. Better handling, better suspension, better interior. A c5 z06 would be pretty quick even with just bolt-ons.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE my trans am but- who wouldnt want a vette? I say if you can get one then get it! Atleast your keepin it in the family lol.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

If it were me I would buy the vette and wear a condom.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Corvette
Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My two cents-

They still make Vette's. Your car will never be made again. Also, for what it's worth, I'll see atleast 5-6 C5 even C6 Vette's vs. an LS1 f body yet alone a WS6.

If you had a regular non WS6 f body LS1 I'd say get the C5 car or upgrade to the WS6 model. Look at them side by side, your car vs a C5....am I the only one that things the C5 can't hold a candle to it in the looks department?

Kudos go to the vette for handling and easy of drive.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Depends on how much you could get for your WS6. If you can get a pretty penny for it and make the swap and the $$$ aspect of things is within your budget, then jump on the Vette. The M6 IMO is much funner and superior to the A4 so that in itself would be a reason to sell if it were me. In the end it more the less comes down to what your pocket book can afford. The Vette is obviously going to be more to insure/maintain and mod...but would be worth it in the end if you can swing it.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001taws6
Well Im gettin the itch to try something new.....Not sure what I want to do here guys..any suggestions are greatly appreicated!
New, as in newer, or just new to you?

I say get yourself some '68-'72 GM muscle. I've lately grown tired of driving my 4th gens and spend most of the time in my old Nova. No modern car can give you the same experiance (or get more attention, other than maybe an exotic). If you still want an LSx, swap one in.

That's my suggestion.

Originally Posted by 2001taws6
only seats 2..what happens when a family comes along
Family? Get an SUV for a DD. Forget about trying to do everything with one car. All you end up with is a single car that's semi-good at several things but great at nothing.

Originally Posted by Striker
am I the only one that things the C5 can't hold a candle to it in the looks department?
Nope. Overall, I'm not a C5 fan; they just don't do it for me cosmetically. I would definitely keep any nice condition V8 4th gen F-body before buying a C5...doesn't matter if it's a Z28 or a WS6...the F-bodies just look better to me. Now, on the other hand, a C6 might be the best looking car that GM has built in at least 2 decades. So if you can swing a C6, that's a WHOLE different story.

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
The M6 IMO is much funner and superior to the A4 so that in itself would be a reason to sell if it were me.
I will refrain from picking apart the ignorance in this comment to prevent an A4 vs M6 battle, because I do not want to see this thread go down that road.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a vette.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Corvette
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

id say stay with the vette, your already knocking at the door as far as "vette performance" im not saying road racing or anything but as far as a drag race you will keep up. I also think that your going to have put in a lot more money than you think to purchase a vette. I dont think the interior is much better than the f-body... its still all the same crappy make. I also think that everyone and theyre mom has a vette, f-bodies are different and more "eye catching" i say if the automatic is bothering you that bad then swap to a manual. Keep the car and mod the death out of it.

I remember when i put a new clutch, some suspension, and a cam in my old t/a... it was like a new girlfriend, try it and if you still want the vette demod your ws6 keep the stuff and put it on whatever vette you buy.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

For what your car is worth and what a c5 z06 is worth is a decent 10-15k. Swap the a4 for a 6-speed. I haven't done it personally, but I don't think you wanna daily drive a stalled auto.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Dude I see like 8 C5's a day, and cosmetically they are sort of bland and dont really have much appeal to me. Everytime I see a WS6 which is a rarity in it self I just stare. Keep the WS6 until it falls apart.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
but I don't think you wanna daily drive a stalled auto.
Why not? After a week of DD'ing a 3500 stall you won't even know it's there. After lockup it drives like stock. Before lockup it drives much better than stock.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 AM

t/a ftmfw. dont get me wrong, i myself want a vette bad, but id never get rid of the bird for one. last of the breed and still kicking *** almost 10 years later
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why not? After a week of DD'ing a 3500 stall you won't even know it's there. After lockup it drives like stock. Before lockup it drives much better than stock.
Beat me to it. Hell the difference in the 3500 and a 4000 is hardly noticeable during daily driving without taking them back to back....when you get into it, that's a whole other story.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

I have a circle d stall which was built for me and is a 4-4200k stall. and i would not hesitate to daily drive it with this stall. my stall is very loose, but thats the way i want it. you can have a stall that is tight and it wouldnt bother you one bit.

but if it was me. (my car is paid off) i would keep my current car and save up for a vette. why sell something that is paid for?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Launching!

if u like the looks of a t/a better i'd def. keep it! There so much cheaper for something that performs the same, unless your into corners but a t/a with nice suspension can def. hold the corners. I'd try to trade your t/a for a six speed and i think you'd be a happy guy. Or you can stall it and put a rear in and maybe a cam and be running 11's lol
Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
I have a circle d stall which was built for me and is a 4-4200k stall. and i would not hesitate to daily drive it with this stall. my stall is very loose, but thats the way i want it. you can have a stall that is tight and it wouldnt bother you one bit.

but if it was me. (my car is paid off) i would keep my current car and save up for a vette. why sell something that is paid for?
^This is what I would do if I lived in the south and could drive a sports car yr around. Id keep the auto TA and get a M6 vette. My ws6 is paid off also.

My thing is the stock A4 is getting kinda boring..sure its convient for dd'ing but it gets boring. I want something to add to the fun factor (stall, 6 speed,vette) The nearest track is about an hr away and I only go 1-2 times a yr. so would I enjoy a stall just dd'ing? Trans Ams are kinda rare in this area also..there are some vettes but all older ppl..and alot of camaros but those are out.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

I say stay with the fbody I got a vette and now I want to go back to a fbody. I maybe the only one to say that but its just my preference. vettes do ride smoother and handle better but they have a bunch of little things that will go wrong with them and they will ad up quick.

Quick Reply: keep the ws6 or buy a vette?