General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what type of GM cars have same blinkers sockets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default what type of GM cars have same blinkers sockets?

I haven't had to replace a single bulb on my 99 WS6 since 01.

now I'm having a blicker issue. checked driver side blown bulb and completely corrodied socket.

?what type of GM cars have same front blickers sockets as Firebirds I can use? the auto store wanted $8. a piece

Looks like I'll be drilling a small hole in the houseing and glueing any cracks in it also.

?Where exactly do I drill?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-18-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sell new sockets at the parts store, if you are handy, you don't even have to cut wires.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default sockects

Dude I relieze I can give $8. each for new at a auto store however they have NON OEM stuff.

I would prefer to ****** a couple of sockets off another GM compatiably car and trying the drill mod at least once an see how long the bulbs last hopefully another 10 ten years.

? where to drill hole exactly? should I tilt the encloser and drill in back?

I've read about these crappie GM blicker encloses and am now thinking just do a upgrade swape that won't leak maybe mount a aftermarket type fog light enclosesure in the bumper or rig something.

I don't want to be that guy that's constantly changing bulbs whenever it rains.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put two in my car years and haven't had problems since. I also drilled holes in the bottom close to the socket, and put a little bit of silicone inside of that to further deter water accumulation.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...er-issues.html

I know you said you don't want NON OE, but why? This is cheap and has been working great. I did, however, replace with GM housings at the same time.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Where can you get the housings?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

dealer is where i got mine. Sponsors were same price, but I could go pick mine up at dealer
Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

How much are they at the dealer? Mine are both cracked and need replaced
Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think everyone sells them for $55/pc
Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Yeah they aren't making any money off of those! Damn..
Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...er-issues.html

I know you said you don't want NON OE, but why? This is cheap and has been working great. I did, however, replace with GM housings at the same time.
very nice of you posting the how to fix these crummie GM blickers.

here's my route used taillight sockets from a late model GM gave $1.29 each, on the way out I noticed 2 bulbs I could use so I snagged them they where seated in the sockets when I gave my $.
I asked the Lady for the price of the sockets before I gave my $1.00 yard entrance fee (dam things have changed I've never paid an entrance fee however I haven't been to a yard in ten years O well I figure I saved $18.50 compared to buying new Non OEM parts & bulbs & I hate surporting the Chi ne (I prefer to buy USA), which paid for half of good old Dads gift).

The Dr. side enclosesure looks OK however I did observe the slite (Thanks GM for crappie work guess there hoping to sell me a $50. housing).

My Pass. side enclosesure observations where, looked like the GM 1/4" slite has grown now it's top to bottom of enclosure.

Hopefully the excellent GE silicon will cure that.

I don't plan on drilling any holes will glue perimiter and crack of enclosesure, I also will take a shortcut and cut the wires & use heat shrink to weatherproof & top off w/ excellent 3m electrical tape.

The blicker issuse occurred after getting caught in a major monsoon I do drive the car recultantly in the rain however the car got swamped on the expressway couple of weeks ago, I am a curtious driver & use turn signal most of the time LOL.

I'll post an image of my project including both enclosure's. today it's just to hot to crawl under the car.

Hope this helps other good Firebird folks.

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-19-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good find, although around here, most of the junk yards are run by illegals and I feel as if I am gonna get shot just driving through the area. Don't get me wrong, I am carrying, but I am not going to waste a few rounds nor the $25K in legal fees.

Good luck on waiting for the heat to go down, I have boxes of parts waiting for me in the garage, but I won't touch them in this Houston heat.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with the $8 Autozone replacements. The reason the stockers burn out so easily is because the wires are too thin of a gauge. They can't hold the current that's required for the bulb so they burn up. The replacements from the auto parts store have a heavier gauge wire and will hold up properly. However you do have to cut the 3 wires and solder / heatshrink the new socket on, but you won't be burning up bulbs anymore. I've done both of the turn signals on my car and they're holding up fine after 4 years now.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Texas

I know what you mean Bro. done many jobs down in you're area I like the Houston area however as far as I'm concerned you're way close to the border for my liking.

I do field service work mainly up & down the large cities on east coast (also world wide) NYC-Miami feel safer there than deep south TX.

what you gona do, you're smart on the heat.

be safe down there.

BTW nice WS6 I dig the silver paint & rims.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default thanks again GM

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Go with the $8 Autozone replacements. The reason the stockers burn out so easily is because the wires are too thin of a gauge. They can't hold the current that's required for the bulb so they burn up. The replacements from the auto parts store have a heavier gauge wire and will hold up properly. However you do have to cut the 3 wires and solder / heatshrink the new socket on, but you won't be burning up bulbs anymore. I've done both of the turn signals on my car and they're holding up fine after 4 years now.
? would the intire wire from fuse box to bulb need upgrading to larger diameter wire?

Damn GM screwed me again w/ crappie wire to save a whole .50 cents. and crappie encloseures

someone tell me it is'nt so.

thanks again GM

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I know what you mean Bro. done many jobs down in you're area I like the Houston area however as far as I'm concerned you're way close to the border for my liking.

I do field service work mainly up & down the large cities on east coast (also world wide) NYC-Miami feel safer there than deep south TX.

what you gona do, you're smart on the heat.

be safe down there.

BTW nice WS6 I dig the silver paint & rims.
Thanks man, although its just a regular old pewter TA

? would the intire wire from fuse box to bulb need upgrading?

Damn GM screwed me again w/ crappie wire to save a whole .50 cents. and crappie encloseures

thanks again GM
Tis true on the size of the wire. The newer ones I bought did have thicker gauge wire. The pictures on that other link I posted show that. I wouldn't figure that the thin gauge would be the cause, I know mine were just too corroded to properly complete a circuit. This was due to the rock chips on the housing and caused moisture to collect on the contacts. I guess with more time, it could of shown failure due to the thin wire, but mine we definitely toast due to corrosion.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

? would the intire wire from fuse box to bulb need upgrading to larger diameter wire?

thanks again GM
No you don't have to go all the way into the harness. Peel back the wire loom and look at the wire. You'll probably see it discolored, just cut a little past where the discoloration is. Once you cut it you'll also see that the wire itself is scorched. Just don't go cutting off more than what the new socket has. You can if you need to, but then you have to patch with a 3rd wire and it starts to get complicated then. Mine were only burnt about 1" up so it wasn't a big deal. Just cut a little at a time.