General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Another Thinking of ditchin the LS-1 for something more reliable thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another Thinking of ditchin the LS-1 for something more reliable thread...

First off, if I do ditch the Camaro it WON'T be for an Acura. My car is such a huge pain in the *** though. If I didn't love it so much it would have been long gone. I drove 3 different cars today, A 09 Challenger R/T, a 07 TBSS, and a 2010 Camaro 2SS auto. I need something with a usable back seat, the TBSS. TBSS = slow, but a very nice civil vehicle. I also want something that doesnt make a shitload of road noise NOT the 2010 Camaro! It was so loud I couldn't stand it. For a $38,000 car it should be alot quieter. I LOVED the Challenger! It pretty much did and has everything I want. but it is $32k used. Looked at a 2010 Silverado ext cab ls. Nice but, I think it would bore me. If I could find a G8 GT or a Hemi Charger I think that would take care of the wish list. Maybe I just need to fix the Camaro and keep it though.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Whats done to your camaro? One thing that I found is that for daily use I like driving stockish F-bodies, not only do they ride better but seem to have less issues with regular maintenance. And the cars your thinking about replacing your camaro with are pretty much brand new cars, of course they are going to ride better and be overall "better quality" there newer and essentially a brand new car and 2-4 times the cost of your Camaro.

Exactly what issues are you having with your car? Have you thought of buying a older used car for a DD or just fixing your Camaro up to be a stockish/reliable DD?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2010 Camaro is quiet as all hell i dont know what u were driving and the TB SS slow its faster than that heavy sled R/T.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my GTO might be what youre looking for.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Question is what do u want more your Fbody or a new car.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Teching In

G8 is exactly what you need!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Whats done to your camaro? One thing that I found is that for daily use I like driving stockish F-bodies, not only do they ride better but seem to have less issues with regular maintenance. And the cars your thinking about replacing your camaro with are pretty much brand new cars, of course they are going to ride better and be overall "better quality" there newer and essentially a brand new car and 2-4 times the cost of your Camaro.

Exactly what issues are you having with your car? Have you thought of buying a older used car for a DD or just fixing your Camaro up to be a stockish/reliable DD?
+1. Very good post.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

colbalt ss (the turbo version)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My F-body is 12 yrs old and been a DD/weekend fun car for all those years. Besides the appearence and suspension mods it has remained a simple lid and catback car. And has never once had a hiccup or any issue that wasn't resolveable within a day. Like the above post said cars that are closer to stock will usually be more reliable. But real reliability is in the care and maintenence of the vehicle. All cars will have issues in one way shape or form, just because it's newer doesn't mean it's plague free either.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17

I've replaced everything in the Camaro. Right now its a cam only 5.3 because the 5.7 took a dump. It has a Prokit that bottoms out on everything ,and exhaust is pretty much the mods. I have thought going back to stock springs. My wife won't ride in it because the hump on the passenger side, and she can't drive a stick to save her life. The 5.3 with a cam and T-56 is pretty awesome.The car was abused pretty bad before I got it. The only thing left from that guy is the the wiring he did for the neon lights it HAD. I keep up on maintenance, becuase I cant afford for it to break any more. I have a 2007 Cobalt as a daily driver its reliable as hell but its so slow, and my wife can't drive it. So I pretty much want 1 car we can use and fit in.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Why does your wife have to drive the car anyway? I have had mine (auto) for 3 years and my old lady has never driven it, not once. She enjoys being DRIVEN. Smart woman IMO. Take the prokit off and replace it with a SLP/Bilstein set-up if you can find one. Mine has this and rides like an indy car
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Why does your wife have to drive the car anyway? I have had mine (auto) for 3 years and my old lady has never driven it, not once. She enjoys being DRIVEN. Smart woman IMO.
What I was thinking.

Had mine for two years and she's never driven it.
She won't admit it, but I know that **** makes her wet when I go WOT .
Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds like a TBSS could fit your needs. With a couple tasteful mods they will run mid 13s and drive awesome on the street.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Take the prokit off and replace it with a SLP/Bilstein set-up if you can find one. Mine has this and rides like an indy car
Bingo! Strano/SLP Bilstein here. Good advice. I DD my car everywhere. Drive the hell out of it a lot. Never had an issue with mine other than a couple window motors and headlight gear replacement. Everything else was caused by me getting frustrated and half assing something or getting a little to forceful with ****. I have over 130k now and expect another 130k out of it before I start to drop the big bucks for engine/rear and whatever else I can figure out.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
I've replaced everything in the Camaro. Right now its a cam only 5.3 because the 5.7 took a dump. It has a Prokit that bottoms out on everything ,and exhaust is pretty much the mods. I have thought going back to stock springs. My wife won't ride in it because the hump on the passenger side, and she can't drive a stick to save her life. The 5.3 with a cam and T-56 is pretty awesome.The car was abused pretty bad before I got it. The only thing left from that guy is the the wiring he did for the neon lights it HAD. I keep up on maintenance, becuase I cant afford for it to break any more. I have a 2007 Cobalt as a daily driver its reliable as hell but its so slow, and my wife can't drive it. So I pretty much want 1 car we can use and fit in.
Shitty springs combined with the worst possible shocks (you're on stock shocks as well right?) = horrible, jittery, jarring ride.
What other suspension mods do you have? What kind of wheels tires?
Good shocks will make all the difference in the world with ride/handling. Konis on otherwise stock suspension with stock springs will ride similar to a BMW (yes you read that right).
Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

The car is 8 years old, it is gonna have problems. If you even drive the car somewhat recklessly (we all do), you're suspension is gonna need a tune-up by now. As for the hump on the passenger side...you don't have to have your legs at a 90 degree angle when sitting in a car! I don't think I've ever had a complaint about the hump on the passenger side.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO look at a LS2 GTO... Civil manners but a blast to drive......
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

get some stranos, it will make a big difference. Or maybe you are just looking a a good excuse to upgrade to something newer, nothing wrong with that, if I could I would...lol.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

My choice would be a cadilac cts v or g8
Old 06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Since when is an LS-1 not reliable? (if built and maintained correctly)

Quick Reply: Another Thinking of ditchin the LS-1 for something more reliable thread...