General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Quick question to all who do their own work on their car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Quick question to all who do their own work on their car

Does anyone else absolutely hate some aspects of installs even with friends, and then later on talk to your friends and mention how much of a fun time it was? Me and a buddy of mine tackled a longtube install as our first venture into the modification world and we literally complained the whole way! Now that we talk about it we just laugh at how much fun it was.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar scenarios, feel free to post them.
Thanks
Justin
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did nothing but cuss, scream, bitch and cry when I replaced my stock motor mounts with poly's... I remember saying to myself every time my wrench slipped off a bolt I'd gladly pay $1000 for someone else to do it. But now that I'm done and not sore anymore I can say, "ya it was hard work, but it was worth it." I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment, and that in itself made it worth the trouble.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working on your own car is half the fun
Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Working on them can be a PITA but how they perform after is well worth it.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I generally swear quite a bit during installs, as something unexpected usually comes up during the process. I'm always happy I did it afterwords, though. Plus, I'm too cheap to pay someone else to work on my car if I don't have to.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will NEVER pay someone my hard earned money to do something that I am fully capable of doing myself.

The only things I ever pay someone else for are things that I don't have tools for, (i.e. alignments, weld work, engine machine work, paint, etc... )

And I used to cuss, and throw a fit while working on cars, but I've since learned to chill and take a break when I start to get pissed and come back to it later, it's cheaper that way lol, and 9 times out of 10 the **** that was impossible before just falls into place when you are calm with it, I can't explain it, frustration does weird ****.

Last edited by 98RedBird; 08-27-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most people starting out will hate it until they finish. Working on a car is a big deal. The pressure of "if you **** this up, what do you drive?" is a lot to overcome when you start pulling parts. Having a backup vehicle has helped me. It seems like no matter what I work on, it takes twice as long as a normal person can do it. It took me around 6-7 hours to change my water pump on my '94 Blazer last weekend. I hated every minute of it, and just when I thought I was done, the cheap paper gasket leaked, so I had to strip it out again. Ultimately, when it was done (and leak free), I felt really good about it. That is just the most recent of several fix-it stories for me. I'm sure my header/catback/intake install on my car will take well over a week at my pace, but I will be very happy when it is all finished and running again.

You just have to determine if the frustration is worth it. For me, it is. The sense of accomplishment and the extra money in my bank account make all the time worth it.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Doing the work to your car is half the fun of owning it!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM

ALL THE TIME! but dread ever getting back and doing it again. Especially when something really effed up happened the first time around. But miss it just the same..weird eh?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Now that I have 3 vehicles, I don't stress! I just crack a beer! Then come back another day. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone else to work on my car! Except like mentioned above for certain things. But if I could have access to a alignment computer, I'd do that too!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

I have done every single mod myself except for a tune, and im just a kid haha. And like mentioned before, there is no way im going to pay a penny to someone when i can do it myself for free. Not only is it free but its a learning experience, and fun. Learning this kind of stuff can get you out of a bind in the future if your out of money, ect, and need something done to your vehicles.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stress? 2 weeks dealing with my stupid drls'.

Oh well, it's stressfull and relaxing at the same time.
What's sad is, when you're done with either a lengthy mod/repair; you hardly take notice to the hard work and end result. You're just happy to be done with it. At least that's how it is with me.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah guys, just makin sure it wasnt just me. I've definately learned to do things myself, if i hadnt then my car wouldnt be running.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

workin on your own car can be a real PITA some times. but when you look at how much a shop would charge you to do the same work compared to the knowledge you gained, it's well worth the effort. i'd rather have some scraped knuckles than have to pay out 500+ dollars to a shop that did some work that i was more than capable of doing myself
Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbors have found out it's a good idea to stay inside when I'm working on something that wants to be contrary. If I had a lift, they might be able to venture out occasionally - I hate jacking the Trans Am up because it's such a pain in the ***.

I work on my vehicles for two reasons: I like wrenching, and I don't trust most shops not to fubar even the most simple things. Some shop monkey screws my car up, and all it is to him is a manager (maybe) giving him a half-hearted ***-chewing, and that's it, compared to the **** I have to deal with fixing his bumblefucked mistake.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

These car's can be a pain to work on, it seems like every piece I remove unveils something else I need to buy and replace lol
Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

It was slow, I made it go fast..
Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
It was slow, I made it go fast..
^you don't count...lol

Your last build goes way beyond just "simple repairs/maintenance".
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I think most people starting out will hate it until they finish. Working on a car is a big deal. The pressure of "if you **** this up, what do you drive?" is a lot to overcome when you start pulling parts. Having a backup vehicle has helped me. It seems like no matter what I work on, it takes twice as long as a normal person can do it. It took me around 6-7 hours to change my water pump on my '94 Blazer last weekend. I hated every minute of it, and just when I thought I was done, the cheap paper gasket leaked, so I had to strip it out again. Ultimately, when it was done (and leak free), I felt really good about it. That is just the most recent of several fix-it stories for me. I'm sure my header/catback/intake install on my car will take well over a week at my pace, but I will be very happy when it is all finished and running again.

You just have to determine if the frustration is worth it. For me, it is. The sense of accomplishment and the extra money in my bank account make all the time worth it.
I'm almost the other way....taking a car to a shop makes me nervous, I've seen cars overfilled with oil, drain plugs way overtightened, poor recommendations, lies (saying things need replacing when they don't), etc. There are many good shops, but the bad ones makes you second guess most of them!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only part I hate is jacking the car up, getting it high enough to fit comfortably underneath, and getting it on jackstands.