General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stop me from selling my z28 for a 03-04 Cobra.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FordHater
DEFINITELY stick with the camaro man! looks and sounds way more aggressive. camaro's have way nicer rides as well! instead of buying a cobra, go all out with the camaro and go show those stangs whose boss.its definitely way more satisfying to have a basemodel car that you built up yourself beat another car than to have a more-expensive bone-stock car that kills all the others. "built not bought" right? all just my opinion of course..

Thanks man, and ya that's what I like too.

I actually had the chance to buy a c5 this summer but I passed simply for the fact that I love wrenching on and modding the Z.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

The thought, planning and research that go into "that next mod", and then feeling that mod for the first time is what keeps it interesting and fun to me.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I would definitely own a 03/04 Cobra. Only if I had loads of money laying around. I'm too in love with Trans Ams to even think about the fastest Mustang possible. I'll stick my love of the LS motors and Trans Ams even if it's slower. It takes a lot more than a more powerful motor to sell me on a car.

Now if the conversation was Camaro vs C6 Z06.. Well that's a different story
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I would definitely own a 03/04 Cobra. Only if I had loads of money laying around. I'm too in love with Trans Ams to even think about the fastest Mustang possible. I'll stick my love of the LS motors and Trans Ams even if it's slower. It takes a lot more than a more powerful motor to sell me on a car.

Now if the conversation was Camaro vs C6 Z06.. Well that's a different story
But think about how sickeningly bad you could make your T/A, in place of spending the money on the vette......
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't do it..........
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
Let's be serious, GM does it with displacement, Ford with boost. Oh wait, what about that new 5.0? That's making almost the same power as an LS3 with 1.2L less, no boost either. A Ford 4v mod motor will eat up an LS motor of equal displacement, but since they can do it with less, why bother? I really hope your post was sarcastic, otherwise its sad to see some so misinformed. GM makes a 4.8L LS based motor, and it only makes 270hp, and that's with 0.2L more than the old Ford 4.6. The 3v and 4v mod motors beat that, got an answer to that?

Yes, in the past N/A Fords were weak but they aren't anything to laugh at now. Well, actually the Cobra R motor wasn't very weak, and the Mach 1's 4v wasn't too shabby, but definitely was lacking once modded.

But to answer your question, no we wouldn't be having this conversation if it wasn't supercharged. However, it is blown and therefore you can't bitch about it. It's the most childish debate ever. Each chose their own way of making power, the Ford just ended up with more.

Each of these cars has their own advantages/disadvantages, which have all been beaten dead soooooo many times over the years. The OP should just drive a Cobra and see how he likes it. There is no 1 car that is best for everyone.
Calm down, i get the whole smaller engine, more valves, more revs, forged thing. all im saying is having more motor and still getting good gas mileage is the way to go. if the fbodys were 7-8 grand more that money would have to go somewhere like forging internals or adding a s/c cuz everything else is there. i like power under the curve and the general feel of torque thats also there under the curve.

forged internals are no joke. my buddy has a 2liter boosted s2k with stock motor and 15 pounds. like 480whp/310wtq. its serious on the roll. but my bolt on ls1 digs his *** right out the mud. till 60 70 easy. nice boost and all but where was he at the start/fun part? now mustangs have more start than a boosted s2k but stalled ls1's with a good 1320 setup are hard to catch for either

Last edited by Frogger; 12-08-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: always do. no reason to stop it now lol
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I work at a classic/performance car dealership and we recently had a white '03 Terminator with 500rwhp. The car looked and rode stock, but the sound was incredible!!! And the acceleration was brutal. There is not one thing about the car that I didn't absolutely love. In fact, if I had 26 grand to dish out on the beautiful, fast, loud, mint under 8k miles on the clock cobra, it would be sitting in my garage right now.

HOWEVER, would it be parked in the spot that my '72 Formula or '96 TA are currently in? HELL NO. Yes the cobra would blow my doors off in either car, but I am a Pontiac guy at heart, and to buy a Ford, no matter how amazing it is, I wouldn't be able to live in peace know what I just did.

My point is, do what feels right to you. If you are a loyal chevy guy and you really love camaros, then keep it. It's okay to be curious about another brand or style, but if you got the car because you had to have it, then that's the reason you should keep it. You can always find a Terminator later on, but if you get it now at the price of you Z28, will you be able to get it back?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmRAFormula
I work at a classic/performance car dealership and we recently had a white '03 Terminator with 500rwhp. The car looked and rode stock, but the sound was incredible!!! And the acceleration was brutal. There is not one thing about the car that I didn't absolutely love. In fact, if I had 26 grand to dish out on the beautiful, fast, loud, mint under 8k miles on the clock cobra, it would be sitting in my garage right now.

HOWEVER, would it be parked in the spot that my '72 Formula or '96 TA are currently in? HELL NO. Yes the cobra would blow my doors off in either car, but I am a Pontiac guy at heart, and to buy a Ford, no matter how amazing it is, I wouldn't be able to live in peace know what I just did.

My point is, do what feels right to you. If you are a loyal chevy guy and you really love camaros, then keep it. It's okay to be curious about another brand or style, but if you got the car because you had to have it, then that's the reason you should keep it. You can always find a Terminator later on, but if you get it now at the price of you Z28, will you be able to get it back?

I feel as though if I sold the Z, I'd be seriously shooting myself in the foot a few months after.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
I feel as though if I sold the Z, I'd be seriously shooting myself in the foot a few months after.
One thing i have learned over time is you are always "shooting yourself in the foot" when you get rid of a car you have a lot of time and money in...Took me a while to realize it but i am a loyal chevy guy but i do like other cars..But anyone who says an 03 cobra doesnt have any lowend power is out of their flipping mind..Pullied and blower swapped cobras have so much lowend torque that it is retarted!!!!!!I hear a lot of chevy and ford guys talk **** back and forth while most of them have never driven a termi...If you have you know exacty what im talking about...They are fast and if you can get them to hook they aint no joke.....
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Teching In

I've considered making the swap myself. Saw a ported/bolton 04 Cobra pull pretty hard on a local C5 with a cam and a 150 shot. Sounded sweet as hell doing it, too.

The buy in cost is what keeps me away. Around here a nice one is $20k+

It just isn't realistic for me right now.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Drove a 04 termi and there okay... stock not all that but modded well another story. But I would replace the Eaton with a kenne or whipple. 04 Termi + 3.2L Whipple = Good nite everyone
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
naw you wouldn't man. Cobra's are great cars and well build. not that a Camaro isn't. But 4v heads flow like a motha, forged bottom end, trade your IRS for a straight axel straight up, swap the 6 speed for an auto. A lot of the bullshit wieght is in the IRS. Personally I'd scrap the Heaton and go Turbo.

Either way your can't go wrong. I mean you could get a 2v
Old 12-09-2010, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Screw that i owned a cobra and i can honestly say only thing i liked about it was the handling. 4.6 motors SUCK i kept getting beat by ls motors so i sold the pustang to get a real car. Stay a big boy i owned a cobra back in highschool which was cool then but now i realize how big of a waste of time and money it was. And an embarassement . I just wanted to throw my opinion out there cause i HATE mustangs and i dont want to see you get back on here posting how sad you are cause u sold it.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Ok i read some other posts and i didnt see yall were talking about term. I have no clue what those are or what they are about so i wont say anything more about it
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

The Terminator is the nickname for the 03/04 Cobras.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

if your having doubts then dont get the term. i been debating on selling my coupe and getting a z28 or ss for awhile. but when i think about it i'd miss my car too much. and i thought about just buying a ss next summer but my girlfriend would be pissed if i had two hotrods.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99ls1zam
Screw that i owned a cobra and i can honestly say only thing i liked about it was the handling. 4.6 motors SUCK i kept getting beat by ls motors so i sold the pustang to get a real car. Stay a big boy i owned a cobra back in highschool which was cool then but now i realize how big of a waste of time and money it was. And an embarassement . I just wanted to throw my opinion out there cause i HATE mustangs and i dont want to see you get back on here posting how sad you are cause u sold it.
BUAHAHA! By this reply alone I'd just have to say... BULL$HIT! If you owned a 03/04 COBRA you would have respect for a little 4.6. You might have owned a Cobra, but not a 03/04 because if you did then you wouldn't be talking like that. Your reply sounds like a true fan boy.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
BUAHAHA! By this reply alone I'd just have to say... BULL$HIT! If you owned a 03/04 COBRA you would have respect for a little 4.6. You might have owned a Cobra, but not a 03/04 because if you did then you wouldn't be talking like that. Your reply sounds like a true fan boy.
Agreed.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Yeah uh the 2003-2004 cobra...The one you can make fast without having to to put a new motor in it..Yeah that one hahaha..No ford people get mad i am just kidding! They are slow as **** tho ill say that! I wouldnt recomend driving one mile before pullying that ****
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93sspcoupe
if your having doubts then dont get the term. i been debating on selling my coupe and getting a z28 or ss for awhile. but when i think about it i'd miss my car too much. and i thought about just buying a ss next summer but my girlfriend would be pissed if i had two hotrods.

If the GF starts telling you what you can drive then it's time for a new GF. Yes Pu$$y rules the world but there is too much of it out there to let it run your life. You do what makes you happy and find a chick that likes it too...Been there done that and I like my motor more than I do my ex....

Off topic but just had to talk to this grasshopper....