General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Opinions wanted on exhaust - 2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on exhaust - 2000 Camaro SS

I just bought a 2000 SS. The car is in immaculate condition. 6 speed, SLP, loaded. Currently the car has no muffler. It just has a single pipe out the back (drivers side). It sounds good, but I definitely want dual tips. Its smogged and everything...but i cantr decide whether to just split it after the cats and add another tip, or to add a muffler. If i go with the muffler, does anyone have a good suggestion? Borla, Flowmaster, SLP loudmouth? or just leave it and add a pipe? All opinions appreciated.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lots of options. i have an SLP DD but i dont think thats available anymore.

magnaflow is a good system but its quiet. do you want loud? do you plan on LTs?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Probably no LTs...at least not for a long while. Im going to paint the car, get it re-tinted, and get the dual exhaust figured out in the next couple months. After that I probably wont do much to it for at least 2 more years. I want to keep it mostly stock for right now. Should i just keep the muffler off? It sounds nice...
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by jbann72
The car is in immaculate condition.
Im going to paint the car
That part strikes me as odd.

In any event, back to your exhaust. If you like the way the car sounds now (with no muffler), but just want dual tips out the back, then SLP Loudmouth 1 would probably be your best choice for similar sound at the most affordable price for a complete catback. It's almost the same as not having a muffler. The other options you've listed will be at least somewhat quieter than what you have now. Another option would be to just run another pipe on the right side, spliced or Y'ed into the over-the-axle section of the I-pipe (this would be similar to how the Loudmouth is designed).
Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the car. in no time you will hate your car so much that you would do anything to avoid it so i suggest you start with the muffler first specially if its your daily driver. mufflers are cheap! also, when you buy any part think for the future because you WILL end up adding parts and power eventually good luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good question.

Based on the fact that you like the current sound, the SLP Loudmouth 1 selection noted above is a great recommendation. Would clean the sound up a bit and you get the dual exit. If you end up adding LT headers in the future, this will result in a very raspy sounding setup.

At times I love a screamer, however if I'm on a long trip I'd prefer something quiet enough where I can have a conversation without yelling. The fix for that was to go with a Flowmaster catback (the original owner had already installed) and then I installed an electronic cutout in the intermediate pipe. That system is mated to Hooker LT headers and an off-road y-pipe. I typically leave the cutout 50 - 60% open and I get the benefit of volume and tone without the rasp. From a performance standpoint, the Flowmaster kit leaves something to be desired however I'm only a button away from max flow with the cutout.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
The car is in immaculate condition.

Quote:
Im going to paint the car

That part strikes me as odd.

I see these kinds of things amuse you too.

But, back to the exhaust. My car orignally came with the loudmouth exhaust, and I loved it as far as sound. It was pretty bad ***. But what wasnt bad *** was trying to talk to someone when you drove down the road. The magnaflow was a good compromise. the part throttle tone can leave some to be desired, but WOT sounds pretty good. Plus, its pretty quiet inside (except for that damn over the axle pipe that just barely rubs when decelerating and turning left)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Flowmaster is trash and the SLP loudmouth can be rather loud at certain RPM's even without LT's. The SLP powerflo is my favorite exhaust currently besides Borla.I have had almost every exhaust on the market on the many LS1's I have had. The Powerflo which is similar to the old SLP dual dual but louder. The loudmouth 2 could be a nice choice also
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Teching In

I´d go with a Corsa exhaust
Just my 2 cents
Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Borla.. Don't buy flowmasters! If you sticking with stock headers and midpipe, go with slp.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

I am painting the car just because I want a different color. The car is however in immaculate condition...including the lipstick red paint.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
congrats on the car. in no time you will hate your car so much that you would do anything to avoid it so i suggest you start with the muffler first specially if its your daily driver. mufflers are cheap! also, when you buy any part think for the future because you WILL end up adding parts and power eventually good luck.
This car is not my daily driver. I drive a 06 Caddy STS daily. I will eventually put some LTs on it but for now im just trying to get a nice exhaust on the thing and its a weekend driver. I am in my mid-20s and have only been out of college for a couple years and I am spending a sh*t-load on a wedding next year so im not going crazy on the motor for now but i am willing to spend SOME money on it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

I like the sound of the flow master with a stock set up like his, makes the car sound meaner than it is, WAY to loud when your making some real power though. I run a magnaflow now so my car doesn't sound like a pro street dragster at the stop lights, lol. It SUCKS sitting in front of a cop at a light when your exhaust is that loud, makes your B-hole about 1/4 its normal size.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Slp loudmouth exhaust ii amazing! Highly recommend.. Pay a little extra have everything welded!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say go with a Magnaflow catback. I don't regret getting a Magnaflow muffler with my setup one bit. I've gotten a ton of compliments on how good it sounds. Plus, if you go longtubes in the future you'll have an even better tone.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Looking at the OP's sig, it seems he already went with Magnaflow....probably about 3 years ago when this thread was originally posted.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on exhaust - 2000 Camaro SS