General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Wrecked my Ws6, need help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wrecked my Ws6, need help and advice

I just wrecked my Ws6 about an hour and a half ago. I have a few questions as to what is going to happen next but heres the story. I had just gotten off work, my car has been in the garage all winter and I finally had it out and was freakin excited to drive home. I turned right onto a road, I was in the right lane and there was a car next to me in the left lane. I was in third gear and gave it some gas to pass them to get in there lane. Now the road curved kind of sharp to the right so I was passing them on turn pretty much . Figuring no big deal my car can handle it, i have big 275 tires It'll be easy, as I swing into their lane in front of them going 40 or 50 my back end breaks loose and im fish tailing all over the place then I slide right into a curb and up onto it When I got out and looked my left side hit the curb. The front tire is flat and the rim is bent up, the rear passenger tire is fine but part of the rim cracked off. The front bummper has a decent scratch from the curb also. I hit the curb pretty hard but it wasn't a direct hit cause I hit it at and angle. Other than that their is no other damage visible, I'm afraid I may have fucked up something bad underneath. I'm just gonna say it now I'm a ******* idiot I should have been driving normal. Now I have a few questions and I would EXTREMELY APPRECIATE any info you can give me. First, when I report this to my insurance company and have it fixed assuming theirs no frame damage and its not totaled will this show up as an accident on the cars history report? Second, I need two new Ws6 rims. Can you still buy them anywhere? I had the ones that just said pontiac on them and were polished chrome I really want the original wheels because I want to keep the car as original as possible its all stock with just an exhaust only 40k miles I really want another set of those rims I will take no other kind! Thanks in advance to whoever reads all this. I still can't believe it actually happened I still feel like I'm dreaming and I just wanna wake up. I feel like I let everyone down by destroying a beautiful Ws6 due to my carelessness. I have no pics because I was to sick to my stomach to even keep a picture of it. Help me out if ya can thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure you can find those rims. But is that all your worried about? When tires are bent upwards, thats a sign that something behind them got screwed. you need to post some pictures. Then we can go from there.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

An yes if you report it, it will show on a vehicle history report. Atleast that what I was told.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

When I said bent up I just meant it was bent, like the outer lip of the rim was bent. I'm going to have a my mechanic look at it first before I report it I may just do it under the table if it's not to expensive. All four wheels didn't look like they were bent in or out. I'm just afraid I could've bent an axle of most likely something along those lines I just remember going up against that curb hard and hearing the crunching noise of one of the rims smashing into it.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

I'm going to see it tmrw morning I'll try and take some pics.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Sorry about the bad luck.

About the wheels, being an '01 car you should have had the Speedlines stock (unless it was a very, very early '01 car, which still had the '96-'00 style). Your wheels are not chrome though, just polished aluminum with clear coat.

You have a few options for wheel replacement. The cheapest will be to try and source them used. Downside there is finding them in the time frame that you want, and in the condition that you want.

Next option would be a place like Lakeshore Wheel and Tire. They are not a sponsor of this site, but I'm sure you can find their website based on that name. They have both styles of wheel listed, including the Speedlines which you most likely have. You can see pics and pricing on their site.

Another option would be to try and get them through a GM dealer. I don't know if GM still sells them, but if they do I'm sure it'll be the most expensive option possibile.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly it's probably a smart business decision to report it to insurance depending on your deductible. I know you want to keep the Carfax clean but Here's why:

From what it sounds like the damage is well over $1.5K without frame damage just from my experience. If you report it to the insurance the deductible is all you should pay, and the only thing that will show on the Carfax is something like "vehicle sustained minor damage to (insert part of car here). Again this is all given that there is no frame damage which I hope there isn't. Good luck
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 AM
10 Second Club

sorry to hear the news

but another way to go about rims is just as simple as craigslist and the classifieds on here. it might take some time but its another way to try and get the wheels
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I would not report to the insurance company until you learn if there is damage other than wheels and tires. If there is, then yes, it may get expensive. If just rims and tires, no way, just buy some new rims. They are always popping up on ebay or get them re-furbished (if possible) at about $200 per wheel. It is not worth the insurance premium increase over the upcoming years to report minor damage, which I consider under $1,000.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

just fyi speedline rims with tires are for sale in the for sale section it just posted up. if you were looking for some
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sucks man, I had almost the same thing happen to me except it spun as I was making a turn because of the slick road (rain). Doesn't sound like it's too bad, have your shop check it out and see if it's anything serious then go from there. The wheels might take a little to find but hopefully it's just wheels, tires, and a little paint. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

That sucks man.

If you go through insurance, it is very likely that it will show up on Carfax but not guaranteed.

My Mustang Carfax report is all F-ed up. It shows one accident that never happened, the previous owner(My Best Friend) crashed his DD into a tree and for some reason it's on the Mustang. I'm still trying to clear that up. It also doesn't show when I rear ended someone.

Carfax is a great tool, but it is not as perfect as some people think.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Call me mr calm but from what it sounds like its no big deal. You can find WS6 wheels on here for sale or on Ebay or just replace all them with C5/ZR1 cheap repos. I have been driving 4th gens for 14 years and had my first mishap in the 1st snowfall of the season this year. I lost control and hit a curb. I also cracked my wheel into pieces. THe only thing you should do is check the rear and make sure its not leaking/bent. Also when you mount another wheel/tire make sure it sits straight. What kind of tires were you running? Good Luck and here is a pic of what happened to my wheel

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Well i ended up reporting it to my insurance company, I'm trying to pay off the car before summer and this would set me back. And one of my rims looks like your cracked rim but my other rim is alot more banged up then the one thats just cracked. I took it to a certified GM dealership today. When I went to look at it after it was towed I found a bad spider crack in the paint on the front bumper so it's going have to be repainted and the only other damage I saw was my two rims but I hit the curb hard so I'm sure it's gonna need a few things replaced. I talked too one of the body shop guys while I was their and he took a quick look and said it's not to bad but I don't wanna pay for the bumper to get repainted, two new rims and two new tires, and two towing tickets that are both over a $100. My deductible is only a $100. I'll find out tmrw the extent of the damage and I'll post it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Same kinda deal happened to me. slid out getting on to the innerstate in the rain hit the back bumper taillight area, thought no big deal thats what I got insurance for, a week later they call me its totaled. Heart broken. Hope you dont get that call. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you hit the left rear wheel the panhard bar is probably bent, and maybe the axle.

If you don't want to fix the paint and just want two wheels and tires I wouldn't bother with a shop or insurance. Even if the axle and PHB was bent. Thats easy enough to do the work yourself.

For peace of mind I might have it put up on a frame rack and have the alignment checked.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Do you have speedlines or 96-00 WS6 wheels. I think some early 01's came with 96-00 WS6 wheels but I'm not sure. I got a set of the 96-00 WS6 wheels that I could sell to you just for the price of the tires. Sorry to hear about your bad luck man. Late summer I spun out goin 40mph. Luckily my car went off to the right side where there was no ditch or I would of ended up have a totaled WS6. Happens to the best of us.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I don't have the time to do the work myself and probably wouldn't know where to start I'm working 40+ hours a week and going to school full time. When it comes to my car I'm a perfectionist, it has to be perfect so I definitly want the bumper repainted and everything fixed by professionals not by myself because I don't know what I'm doing lol. At this point I'm just going to stay positive, everybody I've talked to said that it should be fine so I'm just going to pray it is. I took a look at the rear axle and it looked straight as an arrow but I'm no mechanic so I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the advice so far I really appreciate your guys input.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

These rims will be going up for sale soon. Just saying.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pay someone to put it on an alignment machine before you pay anyone or claim it... That will tell you if everything is out of whack but to each his own.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my Ws6, need help and advice