General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

MSD wire not pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD wire not pulsing

I installed a set of MSD wires and ngk plugs last fall. Recently I've noticed a ticking sound that gets louder with rpms. I just went outside thinking a spark plug could have backed out a lil bit (it had about a 1/4 turn). I placed my hand on the spark plug wire itself and could not feel a pulse. I felt all the other plugs on that side of the engine (drivers) and could feel the pulse on all the others. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Is your car running bad? or do you just hear the Ticking?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the car to be running strong. No misfires or anything. But I hear the ticking at all times and like I said it increases with rpms. I thought it was the spark plug backing out a little. I don't believe I hear the car ticking anymore, but the wire hasn't been pulsing for I don't know how long.

EDIT: Also, I believe my mpg have dropped recently. For my mods I should not be getting under 16-17 mpg city imo.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Take the wire thats not "pulsing" and switch it to another coil.. see if its pulsing
Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Swapped it, the non pulsing wire is now pulsing but the one I swapped is now not. Would an SES light occur from a coil pack being bad? Because I have no lights. I'll take it up the auto zone in a minute and see if I'm throwing a code that won't send an ses.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Autozone said no codes like I figured. Car honestly felt a little stronger but that could be placebo from my spark plug going in a little more. I can't really hear the tick unless I'm next to another car or wall on the drivers side unless I have my hood up.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Teching In

They all have a slight amount of tick... And yes a code should have popped if you had a bad coil.. the next thing to do is switch coils and see if the problem continues.. If you had a bad coil, the car should be running pretty bad though..
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it still 'pulls like a freight train' as my friends from work put it lol so I don't think that's the issue. I did recently do an oil change and I believe the tick started not too long after that if I recall. I change my oil every 3k religeously so I may just swap back to regular oil and see if that does anything. I appreciate the help. After I started it at autozone I got back under the hood and it sounded like the tick wasn't as loud. I guess I'll live with it until it throws a code.