General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

which truck should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which truck should i buy?

So basically I got rid of my civic and am looking to buy a truck because it would fit my lifestyle alot better. Im looking at 2 different trucks but they are VERY similiar and even have similiar prices within a few hundred bucks. They are both 2001 Silverado 2500's standard cab lwb. They are both 6.0 LQ4's with 4l80E transmissions, but one is 2wd and other 4wd. I would like to have the 4wd because its an even better deal, but I was thinking.. im only going to keep the truck till i move into my house and buy a motorcycle.

If i bought the 2wd truck, it would make for a tasty swap into my next project car. Everything would be alot easier to swap than the 4wd trans and ect. What would you do? Im going to buy one of them tomorrow!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live? In my area I'd never buy a 2WD truck because it'd be useless in the winter.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Launching!

haha.. okay.

so you are going to buy a truck, then when you move you are going to take it apart for a project car?

the way i see it if you are going to buy a truck only to take it apart, then get the one you can use the most parts off of.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Where do you live? In my area I'd never buy a 2WD truck because it'd be useless in the winter.
Wrong. thats just a cover for those who can't drive. my silverado is only 2wd but it does just fine in the winter. it does have the g80 locking diff tho.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
Wrong. thats just a cover for those who can't drive. my silverado is only 2wd but it does just fine in the winter. it does have the g80 locking diff tho.
The diff has a lot to do with it. I have a '99 Dakota that's 2WD and it's useless in the snow. I'm from upstate NY and went to school in Buffalo so I know how to drive in the snow but in my area, a 4WD/AWD is worth its weight in gold because they don't plow that well and I've gotten out of some hairy situation in my wife's '05 AWD Tribute that my Dakota would never have gotten through.

It just depends on where you live. Buffalo is no sweat with a 2WD because they actually do a great job plowing. My town now? Not so much.

(I actually drove my past '01 SS 6-spd in the winter upstate... not ideal but it did ok)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jsmith564
haha.. okay.

so you are going to buy a truck, then when you move you are going to take it apart for a project car?

the way i see it if you are going to buy a truck only to take it apart, then get the one you can use the most parts off of.
Sorry i didnt mean that im buying the truck, just to simply move my junk then take it apart lol. Ill be getting a different place in a few months. I bought the 2wd truck BTW.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Well I see you bought the 2wd truck... I was going to say get 2wd if you were moving soon and were going to get the motorcycle shortly after moving. That being said... if you planned on keeping it awhile I would of went 4wd (for me 4wd is no option being that where I used to live never met a snow plow till 3+ days later) mostly because it is 4wd but the difference isn't in the tranny but is in the tailshaft behind the main tranny that has the parts for 4wd. You could of changed the tailshaft of the 4wd truck and had the harness modified to be for 2wd. That all being said congrats on getting the Silverado with LQ4 and 4L80E drivetrain... I know some people with those and have to say I like them a lot.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

This truck is going into an fbody? Either way the 2wd 4l80 trans and lq4 should make for a stout combo later in a lighter car. Good luck!