General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ok...which ones get the axe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok...which ones get the axe?

This is basically all of the thoughts that have been tumbling around in my head in a disconnected mess. I'm hoping some of you guys who have owned tons of cars can offer me some insight into my situation. Every day I wake up and decide "i'm gonna sell this one for X reason".

Cars are in sig. Basically - I probably should thin down for cost and practicality reasons. Need my truck, that don't go anywhere, so it leaves 3 cars. I should sell either one or two cars, not sure how to go to meet my goals. I love stickshift, and open air. That said, sometimes I need to carry people, and cargo on fairly long trips. I guess I'm scared to let go of ANY of them though - each one I searched real hard to find, and I have this creeping feeling that if I let one go I'll never get around to getting a new one.

T/A - I love driving the hell out of this car, but it's 166k miles and needs everything under the sun - trans, rear, suspension, tires, windows, a/c.....about all that works on this thing is the engine and the stereo. I love taking the roof off, I love the way it looks, I love shifting gears and I would love to throw some boltons at it. This one I feel is the closest to how I want to feel when driving my "fun" car, modern ergonomics, OBDII, those awesome flip up headlights....But man, she just needs SO much work......

9c1 - This car needs brakes, massive tlc and I'm guessing around 1500 in total parts to make it roadworthy again. No stick, no sunroof, no posi. Owned this one for a few years before the T/A and felt I should hold onto it when I got the T/A. This car just runs without stopping and carries everything under the sun. I really feel like I want this car to be an R/T AWD magnum wagon. It wouldn't be stick....but for everything else I could live with it....if I had another hotrod in the stable! That said, this is the most solid car I have, and would require the absolute least cost to turn into a good DD. Also, I feel this car would bring the least amount of $ if I were to sell it to reinvest into the others.

Coronet - This car is a COMPLETE basketcase. floors rotted through, completely ripped apart, needs a new almost everything. Has never been driven since I owned it - I bought it complete and running, tore it apart to restore it, and that's it - never got started on the project. I have a decent running 440 for the car, a 4 speed, dana 60 rear and it's got a power convertible top. I'd LOVE this car - IF it were drivable. But if it were drivable....I'm worried about the fact that it's just so old - crash safety is important to me on a DD....and without a cage in it, I wouldn't trust this old car against any kind of modern vehicle. I also feel that no matter what I do I'd be lucky to get 10mpg out of this thing, and I would be using it as a summer DD/trip taker. Pluses are the full convertible top and it's hard to argue with a 440 4-speed. The entire car is just beautiful, rare, valuble, and it combines the T/As fun factor with the 9c1's trunk/people space.....but for this car to get done, it needs a FULL restoration, and further it should be completely modernized to include some measure of safety. If I were to let it go, I'm scared I'd never find another one. Also, this was that "dream car", the one I got at 16 to restore with my dad. Obviously it didn't turn out that way....but some part of me keeps screaming "do it!! chase the dream and win!!"

But man, lots of things just melt away when I get into the T/A that I can actually drive, crank the stereo, tear off the roof and start slamming gears. I feel the T/A is the fastest, best handling, best mpg.....best overall compromise except for the fact that the car is so beat up.

Sorry about the random thoughts being barfed out onto a post. I'm at a point where I need a DD badly, everything I have is broken. I want to balance things - One car bought (reliability), one car built (the toy). I've oftentimes drooled over the LS2 GTOs, R/T AWD Magnums, and T/A convertibles......

What say you guys? Anyone out there take an old ride and modernize it? Would I be stupid for doing that? A voice in the back of my head is screaming "take the risk, sell the new ones and do that old car like nobody else ever could".........
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say get rid of pc1 and the coronet keep truck and the t/a.
that's my .02
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep the 9c1. As you said, it's the cheapest route to a DD and you have lots of space for those long trips.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm obviously biased here, but I say keep the Mopar and the T/A, but then again my Mopar and T/A aren't in need of so much work. The bottom line is......what can you afford to do? A 'DD is essential but you've gotta love it so I say keep the T/A and get that done. You seem to have given up on the Coronet so as painful as it may sound I say get rid of that; in pieces you could probably sell it for a gazillion dollars as that's how retarded the market's gotten on these cars. I'm all about modernizing 60's muscle cars but that takes ALOT of cash.

The 9C1 makes a cool 'DD, yeah, but you don't "feel" it as much as you do with the T/A, so I say get rid of that vehicle.

What's the YFM? That a 'quad or something? If you're focusing on the cars then I'd say get rid of that as well-if you've got a dream sacrifices have to be made. I'm not a truck person at all so it's easy for me to say get rid of the Dodge-I haul stuff in my T/A that would make a crossover blush.

Don't think I'm trying to preach anything either-I'm actually in the same position as you. A few years ago I was in heaven with 4 cars to drive and care for, but as I'm getting older and switching to different interests it's not fun for me anymore. I'm thinking along the same lines as you-waking up every day and thinking I'm going to get rid of "this" car because of "this" reason. Honestly, I think I can do without my Mustang and Z28 'vert, the Mustang needs loads of cash just to keep up with its brothers and the '97Z is just falling apart. The plan would be to keep the Charger and the T/A, but...it's hard man. I always seem to find a reason to not thin the herd. Oh well, keep us apprised of what's going on-good luck...
Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Launching!

damn

at first i was thinking to myself "just man up and sell some ****" but hell i'm in the SAME boat...

i have 3 trucks and the ss. not to add the work truck that i have. i want to keep my dodge even though it sits and i'm paying $XXX a month for it one day it'll be paid for and should last me. my other two trucks are toyota pickups one is a 4x4 and the other just a 2wd. the 4x4 was my grandfathers, so it's staying no questions asked. the other i DON'T need, but i'm like hell, it's good on gas and runs fine with 365,000 miles.

then i have the ss, the FUN car i call it. i have no need at all for it. i bought it to make a buck, but i needed to put money in it and kept it longer then expected. if i had to let something go it would be the 2wd toyota and the ss.

it's harder for a gear head to let his **** go, but in the end you just need to be honest with yourself.

the way i see it, keep the dodge, keep the t/a. you know what to do with the rest.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith564

the way i see it, keep the dodge, keep the t/a. you know what to do with the rest.
That's what I'm thinking too...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sell me the TA...? Seriously, I've been trying to find an M6 project and have had no luck so I would be interested....if the price is right.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would sell the TA and the 9c1, as both are pretty easy to come by. I would also sell the quad. Then get a GTO for a summer DD, a combination of fun and comfortable. I would keep the Coronet but I wouldnt use it as a DD. Modernizing a car costs ALOT of money. Resto-Mod it.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Launching!

You'll regret selling that Mopar every day if you do it. I got a project car '66 Charger with my father when I was 14, it's still not done, I don't have a garage to finish it, but I will never sell it because I know one day I'll finally have the space to do so. Old muscle is rare and cool, and are getting harder and harder to come by.

Personally, I'd sell the T/A and the 9c1, then pick up a nice newer sedan with the money
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Well since you say the truck must stay here is my $0.02:

Sell all 3 cars. Find a decent DD with the size and driving experience you desire. Then go to a Mechum action and pick up an already restored Mopar for WAY less than you can restore it yourself. Resto-mod cars go for less than half the cost to create them, so I can in no way advise you to keep a project that will cost huge $$ to restore/mod.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Well since you say the truck must stay here is my $0.02:

Sell all 3 cars. Find a decent DD with the size and driving experience you desire. Then go to a Mechum action and pick up an already restored Mopar for WAY less than you can restore it yourself. Resto-mod cars go for less than half the cost to create them, so I can in no way advise you to keep a project that will cost huge $$ to restore/mod.
i agree, sounds like you have too many projects and will probably never restore any of them anytime soon. If you want a project car, make sure your truck and/or DD are running good first, then work on 1 project at a time.
I see it all the time, where people have a whole yard full of "projects" and none of them ever get fixed. Then they say they will regret getting rid of a particular one, but if they keep it will just rot away and no one will ever get to enjoy it.
My uncle-inlaw finally cleaned out his yard, he had 20 years of parts, parts cars, and project cars just rotting away. Took 2 months to get rid of all that **** and it finally looks he has a house, not just a junkyard with living quarters.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

My thought with the truck is that I need to have one for my work, but it can be traded at will for a better truck. I've tossed around the idea of selling the 9c1 and the truck simply to get an extended cab model and consolidate functions.

I'm definitely of the mindset that I've got to many projects, and some have to give so that others can actually get done. It might be worth mentioning that my father is a mopar god of sorts, he's been rebuilding chargers and challengers since long before I was around and his stash of parts for those cars is enough to help me on my way. Also, my credit blows - no loans for me, I can only conceive of cars that can be bought in cash for roughly 7k dollars at the most. Magnums and GTOS are out of my reach, and I only have an ls1/m6 fbody because I saved/searched for about two years.

Wish I could just combine the aspects of all three. Its shameful how many times I've thought, "damn, if only I could slam a t-56/ls1 into my coronet and nail 30mpg with OBDII." I'm actually the kind of person that would DD the coronet for the most part, but my single biggest concern with that car is that when I compare it to even the firebird i feel it is structurally completely inferior. I'm scared that thing wouldn't hold up in a crash, and I don't want to cage it yet.

Hey, I'd have a Dana 60 to start with!

Last edited by acslam; 06-21-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

id say fix the t/a for sure get rid of the 9c1 t/a are worth more. so keep it fix whats wrong and move that on also.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

dump the 9c1, and maybe even the cornet.

"But man, lots of things just melt away when I get into the T/A"

this is irreplaceable, and means the world.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell all 3 use your truck as your dd and buy a nice ls1 fbody with less miles and no problems with the money you get
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

don't sell ur coronet or ta...