General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

misfire and bad o2s

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire and bad o2s

So im on my 3 set of o2s they last about 2 months then my car starts flashing ses light could it be possible to a bad tune
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About the only way I'd see the tune ruining sensors is
if it spent too much time pig-rich and sooted them up.
But that's the factory tune (when open loop) and it is
not a common problem. Until you go changing the exhaust.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Flashing SES light means a misfire and 99% of the time a tune wouldnt cause this. It sounds ignition related. Have you checked the plugs and wires lately? Id have to bet its bad plugs or a bad wire, or both. What are the exact codes youre getting?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What sort of exhaust do you have? Do you drive through rain/snow alot?

I know back in the day I had some shitty clamps on my headers and everytime it rained hard I would lose an o2 or both. It turned out to be that water would get in through the exhaust leak and burn out the sensors. Got new clamps and made sure everything was sealed up and have been on the same sensors for years.

Unless running pig rich, there's really nothing in the tune that will kill your o2 sensors. But an exhaust leak letting in water sure will.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Launching!

i have a ory to a 3inch slp loudmouth 1 catack i have those cheap auto store clamps on my y so i guess that could be a problem i was getting water in my o2 extentions but replaced them with corvette o2s

as for the tune i know im running rich because the gas smell any way to tell if im running to rich without tuning software
Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

The smell isn't a good way to tell, since you're going to smell that without cats. Mine smells 'rich' too but stays at a good 14.7 ratio.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

as for the tune i know im running rich because the gas smell any way to tell if im running to rich without tuning software
The gas smell is from the lack of cats, not necessarily from running rich. Heck you could be running extremely lean, but if you don't have cats it will still have the exhaust smell.

Get a basic wideband in there to see how rich or not you are running.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had similar problem on car I got. Flashing SES light. Turns out it was a bad crank sensor. And cracked spark plug. Not only that the Taylor plug wires I pulled off it, also one of the boots was dislocated from the inside, I think they damaged and reinstalled it like that. Maybe they didn't know. I put in a new crank sensor, new plugs and Msd wires. Cleared it right up.
Also on another car I've found a misfire for another guy that had no clue. He took it to "performance" shops and they came up clueless.
Turns out 2coil packs were bad. I found em with a good ole spark plug tester at night time.
No lightning equals no fire. Lol
He drove on 6cyl til I found the problem for about a month.