General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car out of state

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2002 Trans Am and most of them that match my criteria are out of my state (AZ). I'm savvy mechanically but what are some things I should be looking for? Some known issues or things to look out for?

I'm not new to the fbody scene but have been out of the loop for about 5 years.

I'm ready to buy! Please help.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Did I post in the wrong section for any help? I'm new to the forum so sorry if I did, can I get a Mod to move it?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

It's a Saturday afternoon, 3 hours after you posted it. People are wrenching on their cars and/or drinking beer.

Patience, sir.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clunks in the rear end, leaks, check the window motors...t-top leaks.....
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Lol yeah I know I didn't give it much time, guess I was more just hoping I was in the right area. I'll be sure to ask and check the things suggested.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Whine in the rear end. Oil leak from rear main. Auto make sure it shifts right, window motors are a usual replace every few years or so, wudnt stop me from buying, they are cheap. If possible, i brought a scangauge with me when i was shopping. Lets u see any codes if they have any, as well as check all the vitals of the engine past the standard dash gauges. I check fuel oil tranny operation, and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

When I bought my Camaro, I had the original owner take it to a shop of my choosing and have it looked through prior to me driving down with a check. Once I got down there it just came down to looking everything over again, and making sure it worked right.

Only things I didn't notice then was the dent in the rear panel and the fact that the passengers door was about 1/2" in, where the hinge is.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Bodywork!! You absolutely cannot see how nice the paint and body is from online pics. My Camaro looked great...in pictures. In REALITY it looks like someone repainted the car...outside....at night....in a sandstorm.....with their feet.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LoneGunman
Bodywork!! You absolutely cannot see how nice the paint and body is from online pics. My Camaro looked great...in pictures. In REALITY it looks like someone repainted the car...outside....at night....in a sandstorm.....with their feet.
I lol'd but seriously, he's right.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 504 Likes on 364 Posts

Ever since I bought my new T/A in Charlotte I've purchased all my cars from over 500 miles away. It is worth the effort to travel to find the right one. How do I decide which car is worth it?
PHOTOS, PHOTOS and more PHOTOS. Several phone calls with the seller will also let you 'size him up' and vice versa. An honest seller will gladly talk to you several times and do a 'walk around' the car with you on the phone as you ask questions. Private seller or dealer, doesn't matter. Once you are satisfied with all the answers, then you can make the road trip. You MUST still see the car in person though. I inspect in person and I save big $$ by doing that. My favorite example: I bought my '87 Aerocoupe from a private seller in Pittsburgh. Many phone calls, the photos, Carfax, you name it. The car was MINT with 13,000 miles on it and we agreed on a price. Sounds like a car you could have transported right to your home, right? Nope. The car was hauled out of storage and wouldn't start. The seller put in a new Delco battery ($100). Went for a test drive, turned on the a/c and I thought the car hit a cat! Screetching, ear splitting noise as the condenser froze up and ate the belt. After a few quick calls (estimates) and also seeing some holes behind the front license plate from the screws, I knocked the agreed upon price down another $1,000. He didn't have to but I was going to walk away and drive home. He didn't turn down the cash I had in hand. The seller (an older guy) wasn't dishonest but certainly not a car guy, and never used the a/c either. He actually was surprised even though the a/c may never have been on in 20+ years. Not only did I knock off $1,100 total but I saved on the transport which would have been another $700+ minimum. My cost for gas, motel, and fast food? Less than $500. As it turned out there were even more 'storage' issues that surfaced but certainly nothing to regret buying the car. You must go.
Best of luck with your search!!

Last edited by NC01TA; 06-16-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

In AZ, the things to be concerned about are cracked interior pieces and toasted leather ... but beyond that,

I've had two long distance buying experiences. First one, the car sounded fantastic and looked good in pics. I flew in without a return flight, planning to drive back. Long story, but as I looked over the car, warning signs started flashing and eventually a document proved it had been wrecked, contrary to the statement of the owner. Had to buy a ticket same day and fly back.

Second time, I found a contact on this board to look the car over for me. On his assessment, I rolled the dice and bought the car sight unseen. Everything turned out as described, EXCEPT the front bumper and hood were severely rock chipped. I had to have them repainted, which was ok given what I'd paid for the car.

I'd follow the excellent advice of NC01TA given above. My $.02.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with NC01TA, that's a good post. I had the car in my sig shipped from South Carolina. I didn't ask for any extra pics or anything like that, just asked for the Carfax, looked it over and bought it. It actually turned out good, was a little more chipped up than expected but it was no biggie since I only paid 10k for it. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect so I got lucky there. However, I'll be getting a new one pretty soon, knowing what I know now, I'm going to be a good bit more particular with it. Make sure you get plenty of shots of the undercarriage, body panels, glass, etc.,etc.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best advice I can give you is to not be afraid to walk away if the car is not what you thought it was. Driving or flying a large distance may add pressure to buy a car that you might not otherwise if it was local. Losing some money on travel is far better than dealing with headaches that can come with buying a sub-par car. The "what to look for" question is fairly obvious for every car.

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state