General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

welding on a iron block 6.0 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welding on a iron block 6.0 question

I had #1 rod break in my lq4 and when it swung around it hit (looks to me a oil passage) and left a hole about the size of the end your pinky..my questions is can it be welded up or is it a bad ideal and not worth fixing?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Bad Idea.

Even if it was just a crack, It has to be done correctly and even then it's still a 50/50 shot. Usually the cost of the repair is close to what a another core will cost.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Teching In

yes for the cost of a used 6.0 not worth the head ache of a repair....
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Regular

like the guys said it's labor intensive.To do it right need to heat the block to a certain temperature. I can't remember all the process but I think high nickel weld material is also involved. I've heard of old timers brazing exaust manafolds. Where your damage is I would go for new or another block. All the work you've done you have to remember.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I don't think I would try to repair that area. If it fails, it could be really bad for the bearings!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billyflantos
I had #1 rod break in my lq4 and when it swung around it hit (looks to me a oil passage) and left a hole about the size of the end your pinky..my questions is can it be welded up or is it a bad ideal and not worth fixing?
Generally, when you weld iron, it cracks around the wield.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM

If you or you know someone who can tig weld good i think it would be fine. not just someone who does it now and then but someone who welds everyday for 15 years on different materials. On a good weld the parent metal around it should break or crack before the welded area will.as KRLOBRO said "Generally, when you weld iron, it cracks around the weld." Go to the third page that is why, if your welder knows what he's doing it should not crack. http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ldcracking.pdf
Me personally though would buy a new block from summit or somewhere you can get a new 6.0 for $800.00 ready to go. i just thought id say that
Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 AM

sometimes when starting a tig weld, the arc jumps from the sides of the tungsten inside the cup to the base metal.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I've seen industrial diesel blocks repaired by welding big patches and sleeving. Required a delicate pre-heating and post-cooling procedure as well as special (read *expensive) weld rod.

These repairs were only done because a replacement block would be nearly impossible to find. Odd-ball generators, marine engines etc.

I don't think it's worth it on an automobile gas blocks that was manufactured in the tens of thousands.

Too bad you're not in Ore. There's a low mile Lq4 in a wreck at the pick-n-pull…paint not even rubbed off the water pump pulley.

Quick Reply: welding on a iron block 6.0 question