General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Which LS powered vehicle...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LS powered vehicle...?

Hello fellow LS motor fans. I have been saving up for a while to buy a LS powered car. I currently daily drive the vehicle in my signature, and at 7000lbs, it isn't exactly fast. I had fallen in love with the 5th gen Camaros when they came out, and then the convertible model really made me want one. However, the cheapest I have been able to find a used as a SS/RS Convertible in the color combo I want is 30k. I recently found a 2002 C5 Vette convetible M6 for sale (http://auto-showcase-cars.ebizautos....-11819170.html) for about 17k. Seems like a decent deal. So basically I am wondering what you guys think, keep saving for the 5th gen with the Gen IV LS3 or go for the C5? I know car listings come and go but I have seen other C5 convertibles for around that price. I also would prefer a convertible (I know they are less stiff, less performance oriented, etc.) but I like the feel of being open aired and hearing the engine when winding through mountain passes. There are also other vehicles I have considered like a 4th gen F-body and GTO but I have never really liked the styling of either. I do like the 4th gen Trans Ams but they seem to be hard to find in M6. Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corvette will be more affordable and faster (especially since you could take that difference in initial cost and substantially modify it). The 5th gen in nice and all, but it's certainly not as performance oriented as even a base C5 (sans ZL1 and Z/28, obviously).
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes the differencee in cost is certainly attractive. How much space is in a C5 convertible in terms of storage? Thats the only other concern.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Personally I would get a c5 z06. They're pretty nasty and the prices aren't off much from an F body
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Personally I would get a c5 z06. They're pretty nasty and the prices aren't off much from an F body
is this true?

but,im a big fan of a 5th gen 1le AND THAT WOULD BE MY PICK.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

I don't know about a C5 Z06 being comparable to F-Body in price from what I've seen, but if your looking at price vs capabilities the C5 is definitely a good deal. Regardless of what car I end up getting, I want to completely modify the suspension and do major motor upgrades, so getting a car that has a lot of what I want to do already on it is not really what I am looking for. I know that it tends to be cheaper and easier that way but I really want a second LS powered vehicle that I can modify and do work too.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsfanatic
I don't know about a C5 Z06 being comparable to F-Body in price from what I've seen, but if your looking at price vs capabilities the C5 is definitely a good deal. Regardless of what car I end up getting, I want to completely modify the suspension and do major motor upgrades, so getting a car that has a lot of what I want to do already on it is not really what I am looking for. I know that it tends to be cheaper and easier that way but I really want a second LS powered vehicle that I can modify and do work too.
My buddy's dad bought his c5 z06 with 40k miles for $15,000. Yeah he got a steal for it but a stock c5 will go for ~$20k and corvettes are just straight up awesome.

Plus don't go diving in buying **** for your car right away you spend all your money twice. Set out goals, do you want it to be a street, strip, show car then go from there. Corvettes are nasty from roll races and can be modified to run 8s in the 1/4 mile, hence why I'm telling you to get one.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
My buddy's dad bought his c5 z06 with 40k miles for $15,000. Yeah he got a steal for it but a stock c5 will go for ~$20k and corvettes are just straight up awesome.

Plus don't go diving in buying **** for your car right away you spend all your money twice. Set out goals, do you want it to be a street, strip, show car then go from there. Corvettes are nasty from roll races and can be modified to run 8s in the 1/4 mile, hence why I'm telling you to get one.
I would agree there is just something awesome about the corvette. Also, I am sorry if it sounded like I was just going to buy parts randomly. I completely agree that everything needs to be planned and contribute to the goal of the overall car. My point was I like the idea of starting with a base car and building it to be exactly what I want.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsfanatic
I would agree there is just something awesome about the corvette. Also, I am sorry if it sounded like I was just going to buy parts randomly. I completely agree that everything needs to be planned and contribute to the goal of the overall car. My point was I like the idea of starting with a base car and building it to be exactly what I want.
Vette would be the base car to start with lol

Quick Reply: Which LS powered vehicle...?