General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Low mileage LS1 maintenance / sluggish power

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mileage LS1 maintenance / sluggish power

Hello,

I had some general questions regarding ls1 maintenance for a 38k mile camaro. I know it would not be advised to follow the service intervals at this point because the car has such low mileage. What would you recommend as far as service that should be done? I ask because the car is starting to feel a bit sluggish and I feel that my fuel filter might be causing an issue or something else. It also doesn't start right away during a warm start after it has sat a while leading me to think of fuel pump issues. What else should be checked?

I was thinking of doing the following so far...

Fuel Filter
Greasing Suspension Parts

Should I change o2 sensors or spark plugs/wires?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im guessing the car sat for a while? If anything I would think its just old fuel. 02 sensors and spark plugs/wires should be fine.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 502 Likes on 362 Posts

I just hit 40,000 miles on my T/A and every fluid has been changed at least once due to age, not miles. My fuel filter has been replaced every 10,000 miles. I just replaced the original Denso spark plugs with AC/Delco Iridium. The wires are still original. I use nothing but premium 93 octane fuel with HEET (red bottle) added every other month to eliminate the water (condensation) in the gas tank. The car runs like it did when it had one tenth the mileage. Fast and strong!
Hopefully your starting issue is just minor. Best of luck!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Will it make a difference if I seafoam the car? The car did sit for days at a time in the garage but never for months or longer. I'll be replacing the fuel filter today and possible spark plugs soon. Do spark plugs really wear out over time?
Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Spark plugs do not wear out with time, but they could be fouled if the engine isn't running properly or has been used for nothing but short trips during it's life.

At this point, I would make sure to change the coolant. This isn't going to help with the sluggish performance, but it's something that definitely should be done for cooling system longevity ASAP.

I wouldn't be worried about O2 sensors at this mileage, unless you're getting a code for them or, once again, the engine has been running poorly enough to seriously foul them (such has heavy oil burning, etc.) Plug wires should be perfectly fine at 38k.

If you are having warm start issues, injectors or fuel pump may be a concern. Or, as mentioned above, it could simply be bad/old gas. I'd start by checking fuel pressure (cranking and running, and see if the system holds pressure after shutdown.) If everything there looks good, you could try some fresh gas with a good fuel system cleaner (such as Red Line SI-1 or Seafoam) and see if this helps matters.

I would also suggest a cleaning of the MAF, especially if the car has ever had a K&N style air filter (any brand that uses oiled cotton/gauze).

FWIW, I have a great deal of experience with low mileage, seldom driven LS1 4th gens. My '98 is a 16k mile car that sits for 6 months every winter. I've owned it since it was nearly new, and always used Stabil and low doses of Red Line SI-1 in the gas with every tank. This has prevented any fuel system related issues so far. Fluids such as coolant/oil/trans/diff/PS/brake are all changed on varying schedules depending on the fluid. Plug wires and O2 sensors are original, but I did change the plugs back in I think '05 since I already had them out for inspection anyway. The stock ones looked fine though.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Spark plugs do not wear out with time, but they could be fouled if the engine isn't running properly or has been used for nothing but short trips during it's life.

At this point, I would make sure to change the coolant. This isn't going to help with the sluggish performance, but it's something that definitely should be done for cooling system longevity ASAP.

I wouldn't be worried about O2 sensors at this mileage, unless you're getting a code for them or, once again, the engine has been running poorly enough to seriously foul them (such has heavy oil burning, etc.) Plug wires should be perfectly fine at 38k.

If you are having warm start issues, injectors or fuel pump may be a concern. Or, as mentioned above, it could simply be bad/old gas. I'd start by checking fuel pressure (cranking and running, and see if the system holds pressure after shutdown.) If everything there looks good, you could try some fresh gas with a good fuel system cleaner (such as Red Line SI-1 or Seafoam) and see if this helps matters.

I would also suggest a cleaning of the MAF, especially if the car has ever had a K&N style air filter (any brand that uses oiled cotton/gauze).

FWIW, I have a great deal of experience with low mileage, seldom driven LS1 4th gens. My '98 is a 16k mile car that sits for 6 months every winter. I've owned it since it was nearly new, and always used Stabil and low doses of Red Line SI-1 in the gas with every tank. This has prevented any fuel system related issues so far. Fluids such as coolant/oil/trans/diff/PS/brake are all changed on varying schedules depending on the fluid. Plug wires and O2 sensors are original, but I did change the plugs back in I think '05 since I already had them out for inspection anyway. The stock ones looked fine though.
Thanks for the reply, the car is daily driven now so it is not bad gas, the coolant was changed along with trans fluid, clutch fluid, engine oil, and brake fluid.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A scan looking at fuel trims and knock learn factor would
be where I'd start. It probably wants to tell you something
but you have to ask it right.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

ended up just being in my head... it was a hot day

Today, i did a first gear pull and it felt stronger than ever
Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club