General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you do?

I've got an 2000 LS1 Trans Am.. Basic head/cam package and some suspension.

The car used to be a daily driver. Now, it's just a go fast toy. I drive it maybe 1,500 miles a year.

I'm thinking about putting it under the knife over the next year or so and slowly do something to it..

I'm basically debating going with a huge cam, etc or just FI it..

If you had a similarly setup TA sitting in your garage, what would you do?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Tram
Depends on your goals. Assuming it runs well and makes typical power for an average H/C/bolt-ons setup, this would be plenty for me for a weekend toy/cruiser so I would just leave it as-is until/unless there was a problem.

If you are looking to build a race/competition level car, then further modifications would depend on what type of competition in which you intend to participate.

If you just want a project and more power, then your budget will dictate what route is best. FI will likely cost more up front, but a BIG cam may come with tuning and driveability hassles that you might not enjoy, so your tolerance for quirks is also going to be a factor.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, it's plenty as is, I should really just leave it alone and spend the $$ somewhere else. That's kinda why I haven't done anything yet.

Every year abotu this time, I drag it out and start driving it, get big plans for it, then in a few months, it'll be time to put her back away and I won't think about it for another 4 or 5 months. LOL
Old 05-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like, you should continue to enjoy it as is... then if something breaks, spend the money to fix and upgrade.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

The car used to be a daily driver. Now, it's just a go fast toy. I drive it maybe 1,500 miles a year.

I'm thinking about putting it under the knife over the next year or so and slowly do something to it..

In your shoes, I would slap the big procharger F1X or whatever on her. Tons of power, awesome sound, and reliable.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

If money isn't an objective and the car is reliable then do it. Can never go wrong with more power in your toy.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yeh, it's plenty as is, I should really just leave it alone and spend the $$ somewhere else. That's kinda why I haven't done anything yet.
When I've found myself feeling this way about a car but then went ahead and pulled things apart anyway, I've always regretted it. New projects and new builds come with unexpected challenges and downsides that you might not realize until it's too late. Are the challenges and downsides worth it? Sure, if you're not happy with the car as it sits. But if you're generally satisfied, then fixing what isn't broke is usually not the answer. If you get really bored with it or decide that more power is worth it no matter the cost or trade-offs, then THAT would be the time to start with a new build for it IMO.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Huge cam/cubes could lead to undesired street habits, I was debating the same thing a few years back and chose to go the FI route. Plus you can always bump up the boost if you get bored.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you could just spray it (when you want another 100-150 rwhp)
Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

im a fan of cubes with room for potential later. a well thought out big cube build can be streetable and you can add FI or spray on top of it.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Boost is the replacement for displacement...All depends on your pocket book, no need for an expensive stroker build if you plan on going FI...if anything Heads/cam your motor and throw some forged rods and pistons in while your in there.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

more cubes equals more power in any build. why are manufacturers using more cubes with FI motors than a few years ago?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Not sure where all the talk came from regarding bigger cubes? OP only mentioned going with a "huge cam" to replace the current basic heads/cam setup, or maybe doing FI. There are several possible downsides with a monster cam, depending on the purpose of the car and personal tolerance for those trade-offs and/or issues.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I would do FI.

My last Formula had a 383 stroker with a large-ish cam. It was fun and sounded good...but ultimately, when I modify the current Formula I will be going with a single turbo.

Big cams sound great...but as I get older I prefer a slightly quieter car and one that is more streetable.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im a fan of cubes with room for potential later. a well thought out big cube build can be streetable and you can add FI or spray on top of it.
Sure that's true but if this guy doesn't plan on running down Fr8train or Scorch on the Hwy a boosted stock cubes motor will do just fine for street duty.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

I am with ragtop spray it
Old 06-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
When I've found myself feeling this way about a car but then went ahead and pulled things apart anyway, I've always regretted it. New projects and new builds come with unexpected challenges and downsides that you might not realize until it's too late.
Sometimes you just get an itch for a new project. It's not that the car is unsatisfying the way that it is, you just want to do something different with it - the usual goal being more power, whether you can use it or not. But it's an irrational urge, as compelling as it may seem. As RPM says, it can mean opening Pandora's box - once the demons are let loose, it's hard to get them back in the box.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Sometimes you just get an itch for a new project. It's not that the car is unsatisfying the way that it is, you just want to do something different with it - the usual goal being more power, whether you can use it or not. But it's an irrational urge, as compelling as it may seem. As RPM says, it can mean opening Pandora's box - once the demons are let loose, it's hard to get them back in the box.
Very true. I'll second the vote for nitrous, I did it mainly due to price of a blower setup. Spray is relatively cheap and fun. And only there when u want to play.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDEP162
In your shoes, I would slap the big procharger F1X or whatever on her. Tons of power, awesome sound, and reliable.
I basically did this. I rarely put any miles on my car as well. More than 1,500 a year but still hardly not a lot. I just drive it on the weekends and once in a rare while run it at the track. I personally love the sound of the procharger and it's great for a power adder so i went that route and now i'm building a lsx 427 with an F-2 procharger. Should put down some real good hp

Quick Reply: What would you do?