General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cowl induction on an LS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cowl induction on an LS?

I have a cowl induction hood on my 70 Camaro. I previously had a carbed 397 small block. I fabricated a pan that enclosed the carb/air cleaner and sealed it against the hood to force air intake through the opening at the rear of the hood. It worked really nice to bring in cooler air.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done something similar with an LS. I don't even know if it is possible, but the hood is raised about 2.5 " down the middle - might could fit a rectangular plenum in there? But it would take a nasty bend to feed the front of the intake. Any way to feed an LS intake from the rear?

Any thoughts? Sure would be a nice way to also free up some room up front for an oil tank or something...

thanks.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

This would work just fine with a carb'ed LS setup, or an aftermarket EFI setup that uses a carb intake.
The following users liked this post:
Jewbabydono (05-20-2023)
Old 10-25-2015, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason it hasn't been persued is there are gains to be made with a well sealed ram air setup like the ssra /chris 1313 etc...
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This would work just fine with a carb'ed LS setup, or an aftermarket EFI setup that uses a carb intake.
Thanks for your input. Yeah, I figured that as much - don't want to use a carb anymore and would prefer to stick with the conventional EFI.

Like I said, not sure if this is possible - just checking to make sure I'm not missing something...
Old 10-25-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by murphinator
I think the reason it hasn't been persued is there are gains to be made with a well sealed ram air setup like the ssra /chris 1313 etc...
Not familiar with the "ssra/chris 1313", but I assume they route the air intake through the front of the engine compartment somewhere? It seems routing air intake in front of the engine takes up a lot of space from what pictures I have seen. Like I said earlier, what I am asking may not be possible, just exploring an alternative that would free up some space up front.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the ram air kits supply the underside of the stock filter location with air forced in between the lower front fascia and the radiator .

No reason you couldn't fab a box from the cowl to feed the maf/tb but it will have a less direct path than just up between the front bumper cover and radiator support area and through the filter
Old 10-25-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think with modern aerodynamics and high-rake
windshields you won't have the same high pressure
"pocket" over the cowl, so putting the intake port
there may not be your best bet.

If you're of a mind to make some science, get an
old timey (or make) water gauge with a good long
hose, that you can put the opening of at different
points about the body and see where your pressure
maxima are. I suspect the radiator pocket is one,
courtesy of the chin spoiler. Too bad it's hot-n-
nasty....
Old 10-26-2015, 04:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Some of the suggestions/comments above don't really apply as this seems to be in regards to a '70 Camaro LSx swap, not a 4th gen.

Either way, I don't think it's practical or beneficial to fab up a working cowl induction setup if you plan to keep the front mount throttle body and stock style intake. You would need a carb'ed setup or aftermarket EFI that uses a carb'ed intake for the cowl setup to really make sense, but you've already indicated that this is not the route you plan to go.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the comments. When I get the engine bolted down I will take a look at the available real estate, but it sounds like it will be more trouble than it's worth.

My training has taught me to turn over every stone, but more often than not, you come up empty...
Old 10-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought he was asking about doing a '70s-style CI
on a "LS" Camaro platform.

Maybe with all that height you would like a 4BBL style
intake and 4150 TB? Then you might be able to put the
OE pancake (cowl induction correct, even) air cleaner
and ducting on it? Not saying that's an airflow win, but
maybe there's style points involved.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Put it this way, the old school "cowl induction" and "ram air" were actually direct shot cold air intakes. ZERO pressure build in the manifold where it counts. Yes it looks like a clean traditional setup. Yes it forced clean cool air into the carb so it made more power.

Chris1313, SSRA, and similar stock routing have PROVEN results that bring in fresh cool air from street level and CHARGE the intake with positive pressure in the manifold. Yes it looks like a mess but it works. Chris1313 took the route of making the charge box as large as possible.

The problem with carb style intakes in a 4th gen fbody is cowl overhang in the engine bay. It requires lots of cutting to clearance at the throttle and making room for a filter. This cowl overhang makes it very difficult without chopping the cowl and extending the hood. This is usually reserved for race cars due to how much car is removed in the process lol
Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Maybe with all that height you would like a 4BBL style
intake and 4150 TB? Then you might be able to put the
OE pancake (cowl induction correct, even) air cleaner
and ducting on it? Not saying that's an airflow win, but
maybe there's style points involved.
That was exactly my thoughts and suggestion as well, but it seems the OP isn't interested in a carb'ed style intake, EFI or not.

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
The problem with carb style intakes in a 4th gen fbody is cowl overhang in the engine bay. It requires lots of cutting to clearance at the throttle and making room for a filter. This cowl overhang makes it very difficult without chopping the cowl and extending the hood. This is usually reserved for race cars due to how much car is removed in the process lol
Again, OP seems to have a '70 Camaro, not a 4th gen.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

You could buy a shaker intake kit and modify it to fit your cowl:

Name:  yearone_b3_shaker.jpg
Views: 3353
Size:  117.7 KB

The intake tract will have a lot of bends, though. Personally, I would look at finding a way to get the air as straight as possible into the throttle body while also looking aesthetically pleasing. Too many LS swaps just have tubes and a filter hanging off the throttle body, and it always looks like an afterthought. Perhaps you could look into adapting the IROC intake box?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

OP, are you looking to feed a LS motor in your 70 Camaro or just asking about "can an LS breathe through the cowl" in general? Answers are yes and yes.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
OP, are you looking to feed a LS motor in your 70 Camaro or just asking about "can an LS breathe through the cowl" in general? Answers are yes and yes.
I guess the short answer is yes and yes. But here is the deal. I will be installing an LS7 very shortly and am looking at how things are "arranged" under the hood for an LS7 engine. I will be going the dry sump route so I am thinking about where to put the oil reservoir. I am also installing a radiator that has provisions for an oil cooler to be plumbed into the dry sump system. I am also installing the battery in the trunk to free up some space.

I keep seeing pictures of the LS intake/filter installed just "hanging" off to one side, not really looking happy and thought that since I already have a cowl hood, was it possible to utilize this with an LS7 w/ a conventional intake?

So, if the air intake was routed to the rear on top of the engine, it opens up a few more possibilities on where I can put an oil tank.

All of this is just thinking out loud and trying to learn what I can from you guys. So far, excellent feedback. Thank you...
Old 10-27-2015, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
You could buy a shaker intake kit and modify it to fit your cowl:

The intake tract will have a lot of bends, though. Personally, I would look at finding a way to get the air as straight as possible into the throttle body while also looking aesthetically pleasing. Too many LS swaps just have tubes and a filter hanging off the throttle body, and it always looks like an afterthought. Perhaps you could look into adapting the IROC intake box?

I like the first option.

Trying to understand the 2nd on where the intake terminates. Under the radiator?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

There is a bottom piece that houses the filters and gets air from the lower grill. It goes over the radiator and splits to clear the hood latch. Obviously, this wouldn't be a direct fit, but it could give you ideas at the very least.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might peek your interest. Detroit Speed just posted these pics of a 69 Camaro with a cowl hood they just finished up. Love how clean it looks. I am working on a LS3 in a 67 with a stinger hood & looking to duplicate this look.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/Projects...camaro-pg-1.html
Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder if they bought that tube somewhere or made it. If I could just get the part connecting the TB to the hat on top making the rest shouldn't be that hard.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

That has to be a fabrication. Looks damn good though...

The rest of it looks exactly how I did mine using a carb. Figured out the angle relative to the closed hood, and built a spacer with that angle , then fabricated a ss shield that housed the air cleaner and topped it off with some urethane foam to seal against the hood. Worked real nice. I may have to look into this tube they made when I get to that point.

Quick Reply: Cowl induction on an LS?