General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 won't run

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LS1 won't run

Ok so I bought my first "modern" car last December as a daily, it's a 2000 Trans Am LS1 M6. Only mods are Flowmaster cat back, K&N intake and filter, B&M short throw, and a stage 3 monster clutch from Tick Performance.....already on the car when I bouts it! I did swap the monsoon sound system to the Kenwood out of my F250! I do work at a local body shop and after work I washed the car and detailed the inside, while washing it I decided to lightly spray the engine bay, except the power steering pump! I sprayed it with degreaser and hosed it down as I put 3 bottles(with stop leak) in the first two weeks and was gonna see where it was leaking and fix that over the weekend! Anyways I washed the engine first and then everything else!!! Helped a guy put a hatch on a car then got in the bird to leave and all it would do is turn over and over and over! We tried everything we could at 10 at night!! Nothing!! And also our snap-on scan tool would communicate with everything but the engine! So I towed the car to my cousins shop where he put in a computer from a running driving car same model and all, still wouldn't communicate so computer is food. Please any help would be appreciated!!!! As I'm down to driving my 12 MPG truck an hour to and from work all week!! Sorry for the long post but wanted to get all the details in there!!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's from washing the motor... passenger side firewall is where the computer is located. I'm willing to bet there's water in the connector being it's not communicating.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by N20zuki
It's from washing the motor... passenger side firewall is where the computer is located. I'm willing to bet there's water in the connector being it's not communicating.
Appreciate your reply but it can't be, as I blew it out, put in another computer and also it's been at the shop for two months plenty of time to dry out! Thanks tho!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Could a faulty relay and/or fuses be the cause? Wasn't mentioned in the OP, just throwing out ideas. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Could a faulty relay and/or fuses be the cause? Wasn't mentioned in the OP, just throwing out ideas. Good luck.

sorry, I forgot to mention that we did check all fuses and even swapped the relays that night it wouldn't start! I did stop by the shop today after work and he said it's getting power to the computer but it still doesn't want to communicate!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Try the old school approach, make sure your getting fuel, spark, check sensors plugged into air lid and throttle body. At the end of the drivers side fuel rail is the schrader valve to see if your getting fuel. Fuel filter, just start off simple work your way up
Old 02-16-2017, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Try the old school approach, make sure your getting fuel, spark, check sensors plugged into air lid and throttle body. At the end of the drivers side fuel rail is the schrader valve to see if your getting fuel. Fuel filter, just start off simple work your way up
The night it wouldn't fire we tried all of that! Pushed the valve on the fuel rail and nothing , as for the filter I don't think it is the problem as the car never hesitated while running or had hard starts! I used a screwdriver to see about the spark and nothing! All sensors were plugged in! It does t have the dorky air kid anymore just the exposed K&N filter now though! The guy at the shop said it's got power to the computer but no power to the data link connector. Again all fuses and relays are good too! So I'm thinking it's just a loose/broke ground or burnt wire somewhere! I can fix a fuel air and spark problem on an old car easily. Rebuilt a few from ground up but these computers get the best of me!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like it will probably end up being something stupid and simple. Ill keep thinking on it and see if theres something I havent thought about.

Quick Reply: LS1 won't run