General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I build or not? Looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I build or not? Looking for opinions

i swore there was a general discussion forum but maybe I missed it, if so please move this.

Anyway, I have a 01 trans am with almost 90k on it, and it’s had bolt one for the last 5+ years. I want to do a bigger cam, injectors and everything else that goes along with it. I’m just wondering if it’s worth doing to a ls1 with 90k on it.
That being said, option one is rebuild/build 90k mile ls1
option 2 swap a bigger motor in, ls3 maybe?
Option 3 pick up a low mile trans am and Sell my current
Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Im finishing up building a 120k+ LS1. Once I got the heads off I was surprised how well the cylinder walls were, there was carbon deposits on the pistons but I cleaned them off and I can't wait to finish. With these LS engines (like any other one) as long as the internals are lubricated correctly throughout its lifetime it can be ageless.

FYI, im put in a texas speed V2 cam, new lifters, PRC p&p heads, new valve springs, etc, everything you need. Might be a good idea to put a catch can on the current PCV system (or switch to LS6 valley cover and install catch can) when you put it back together
Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

That engine shouldn't be anywhere close to needing a rebuild at only 90k, unless it's been abused/neglected or had some sort of factory flaw that would have already caused it to fail by now.

A typical cam upgrade alone probably won't require new injectors, especially for a '98 or '01-'02 car with the larger factory units with which to start (though it's certainly not a bad upgrade if you plan to do more going forward.)
Old 01-08-2018, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

I had it tuned on a dyno a year or two ago and they told me I’m just about out of injector where I am now, I posted the graph on here when it happened and a few members thought I might actually have a ls6 cam in the car, regardless I want to go bigger. Glad I don’t have to worry tho, I’d probably be looking to go with a nitrous friendly cam from Texas speed
Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Strange that you've run out of injector with a bolt-on only '01 car; my '00 car with smaller stock injectors was still OK even with a small cam upgrade. Are you at max effort bolt-on level (meaning every possible bolt-on for max power)? There is some debate among tuners/builders/racers as to what is acceptable in terms of duty cycle vs. actual AFR.

Regardless, if you plan on anything N2O/FI related, then an upgrade is certainly in order.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

I have long tube headers into a y style catless exhaust, slip lid and a ported Tb and MAF. That’s it in terms of air flow though. I think I will do n2o, my neighbor has a brand new kit he never used and I told him a while ago I’d buy it off him lol
Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Build the motor in the car. I put a cam in mine with around 100k and it was fine. Get a new oil pump, timing chain, and cam retainer plate with the cam and have at it.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for building it.

Friend of mine took a 100k+ stock LS1 block and threw it in a nitrious drag car and ran 10's and then 9's for a while before it kicked the bucket. I think you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, I wouldn’t sell the car to buy something newer. That’s just more money spent on the same car you already have. I would recommend building the motor if you want something safe for less than 500 rwhp. If your plans are to go over that power then put forged rods and pistons in,..or pull the engine and throw it on ebay as a complete part out. See them go all the time for ls swaps. Then get yourself an LQ4/LY6/LQ9 block for cheap and stroke the hell out of it. I’m in the process of either forging my setup or throwing the engine on ebay to buy a 6.0 liter or above.

Quick Reply: Should I build or not? Looking for opinions