General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ls1 car.. Experience and opinions.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Ls1 car.. Experience and opinions.

Im looking into a ls1 car.
but can't decide if I want to do a 4th gen Fbody
most likly camaro
Or
C5 corvette
Both have advantages and negatives to me.

Let me say that I got a 68 a body pro touring and a 70 elco. Nasty big block.
I would like to start my ls with a ls1. Yes I would like to get a manual but there are certain benefits of an auto.
plans would be AC is mandatory!! And I would do solid mods such as LS6 top end (I have heads and intake) and I would get a cam and looking for round 450hp
It should stay a drivable car to get Arround with no "racecar" issues lol ( I have enough of these cars lol)
And I am servicing the cars myself. With that said I heard the f body's are more user friendly.

further .C5s are going for 8-15k. While 8 is most likely a trash car.. And I don't spend 15k on a c5.
f bodies are Arround from 3-5k
I like the t tops I think that's a nice family weekend advantage.
t56s are great but 80% are worn to death
Auto cars are an idea but the stock trannies suck.

What's the easiest auto tranny update to hold 450hp?

I would like to hear you guys opinions.
Ps: im in cali/ bay area
Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

In my area, the prices are a bit higher to get a decent condition example of either car, but I'm in the rust belt so there is a premium attached to examples which have largely been spared from any winter exposure. A $3k LS1 F-body or $8k C5 from here probably wouldn't be worth owning IMO. In your area (CA), it might be easier to find nice condition higher mileage cars since salt/winter/rust isn't really an issue.

You mentioned "family" above, which would imply more than just you and one passenger. While the F-body rear seats are very cramped, they do at least exist. If you intend to haul more than just one other person, you can forget about the C5.

The 4L60E auto can be built to handle 450hp no problem. Plenty of members here at the heads/cam level with well built 4L60Es holding up over the long term (check out the Auto Trans section). For BIG power, consider a 4L80E swap.

C5 has more gadgets/electronics to fail, but the engine bay offers easier access (due to half the engine being under the cowl on a 4th gen F-body). C5 specific parts will be more expensive (sometimes considerably more expensive). C5 will handle and brake better, all else being equal, but F-body can certainly be set up to handle and brake quite impressively if that's your goal (check out the Suspension and Brakes section).
Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

If you go C5 corvette, go with an 01+, the 97-00 has a shitload of parts that are discontinued with no aftermarket. The C5 has more room in the engine bay, but stuff like the A/C compressor is a bitch. The clutch is more difficult too. That said, the C5 is far superior to the Fbody IMO.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In my area, the prices are a bit higher to get a decent condition example of either car, but I'm in the rust belt so there is a premium attached to examples which have largely been spared from any winter exposure. A $3k LS1 F-body or $8k C5 from here probably wouldn't be worth owning IMO. In your area (CA), it might be easier to find nice condition higher mileage cars since salt/winter/rust isn't really an issue.

You mentioned "family" above, which would imply more than just you and one passenger. While the F-body rear seats are very cramped, they do at least exist. If you intend to haul more than just one other person, you can forget about the C5.

The 4L60E auto can be built to handle 450hp no problem. Plenty of members here at the heads/cam level with well built 4L60Es holding up over the long term (check out the Auto Trans section). For BIG power, consider a 4L80E swap.

C5 has more gadgets/electronics to fail, but the engine bay offers easier access (due to half the engine being under the cowl on a 4th gen F-body). C5 specific parts will be more expensive (sometimes considerably more expensive). C5 will handle and brake better, all else being equal, but F-body can certainly be set up to handle and brake quite impressively if that's your goal (check out the Suspension and Brakes section).
yes I have a family and a lil kid. I know the limited space in camaros and the no space in c5s.
I love me a nice c5 frc or z06 of course.
as mentioned parts will be more expensive and. Only c5 s 01-04 are interesting.

Regarding "workspace" I guess it's mainly about head. Cam. Header work. As well as pulling trans...
the trans seems to be pita at a c5.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JC316
If you go C5 corvette, go with an 01+, the 97-00 has a shitload of parts that are discontinued with no aftermarket. The C5 has more room in the engine bay, but stuff like the A/C compressor is a bitch. The clutch is more difficult too. That said, the C5 is far superior to the Fbody IMO.
Im thinking so too in terms of superior...
with that said I can get a good frc/z06 for 12-15... While I get a 5th gen camaro as for 15 as well..
Whit that said a camaro is way cheaper..
I don't need a supercar platform or a drag build platform.. Its more like a daily ls1 with some extra.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The world is full of "superior" cars but they usually come with a downside or two, such as more gadgets to break, more expensive parts (both repair items as well as modifications) cost, and higher initial purchase price for comparable condition.

It's really just a matter of your goals, styling preference, seating needs, and budget. IMO, if your budget (for buying and building) limits you to the bottom of the C5 range or near the top of the F-body range, I'd much rather have a very nice F-body than a beat/worn out/used up C5. Having said that, it's usually much easier to find very nice C5s in the first place.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

I would say the f-body is more practical and gritty, while the C5 is more refined and sophisticated. As mentioned, the f-body has a rear seat when one might be needed, and a ton of cargo space with it down. The hatchback makes for great access too. Think of picking up the wife at the airport.

The f-body - except for the under the cowl factor - is much easier to work on and modify because of its conventional design (think of dropping a tranny). Then there's the huge aftermarket that exists for them.

The reason that there are so many Corvettes with low miles and in great condition is that they're rarely used as daily drivers. So for daily driver, I'd go f-body, occasional nice day cruiser, C5.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Another vote here for the F-body for everyday driving BUT the key to my vote is finding a low mileage decent ride. That way you won't be missing out on the amenities the Corvette has. A worn out F-body with all kinds of issues is NOT the way to go. Spending in the teens may be necessary but very worthwhile. I know you can find higher mileage C5's in that same price range but they won't be as nice as the equally priced F-body. Not always true but just a general rule of thumb from what I have seen of both worlds. I had a C4 before my C6 (never had the C5 model) and I truly enjoy all Corvettes as 'special day' cars, not daily driver cars. There are just too many times you need the space. I have had other two seat cars (BMW Z3, Porsche 993 911) and the F-body has always remained while the others have come and gone. I've had it since new with no intentions of letting it go.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If I had a kid I'd go G8 without a second thought. The backseat in an f-body or GTO is more of a show piece than a useful feature.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bammax
If I had a kid I'd go G8 without a second thought. The backseat in an f-body or GTO is more of a show piece than a useful feature.
was looking in g8 GT s. As well... I really like em
Old 12-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
But the back seat has seat belts so you can strap in your groceries.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
But the back seat has seat belts so you can strap in your groceries.
Smaller people fit right in too. Our 16 year old babysitter/friend of the family (about 5'4") slips right in with plenty of leg and other room.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great info as always.
well as most of the time it happens different than planned..
I picked up a 68 camaro street/racecar project..(no back seat.lol)
guess I will LS turbo it.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Pontiacerator

No back seat worries there ... everyone has their own concept of what makes for a worthy daily driver
Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You solve dilemmas the same way I do. I couldn't decide if it would be better to get a truck or a van considering I needed to haul lumber and wanted something that had a decent towing capacity. After spending a month hitting car lots and scouring Craigslist looking at 3/4 ton Silverados and Expresses I ultimately picked up a Trans Am lol

Search this Thread