General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2001 z28 water damage restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 z28 water damage restoration project

Hi there! This last fall I came in to possession of a beautiful garage-life2001 z28 with 40k miles on it. The paint is almost perfect., The interior WAS perfect.

There was a rain storm back in November and I don't have a garage so you can guess where this is going. Parked on a hill the gutters around the rear hatch filled with rain water and the seal on the driver side failed, filling my back seat and foot well with water. It has turned into quite the project when I realized step by step and attempted drying day by day that the only way to really dry the car out was the strip the interior, carpet and all. I'm going to post pictures of what I did. I have benefited from several walkthroughs on this forum, so thank you. Hopefully these pictures will help someone out. I'm not finished with the project yet. I've decided to sound deaden the interior with butyl mats and closed cell foam. Hopefully I'll be done by spring time 😬...

Pictures incoming. I'll try to clean up this thread from my computer later, sll the pictures are coming from my phone.

Last edited by walker why; 01-27-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 01-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Here's a picture of where the water came in.

Last edited by walker why; 01-27-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Water welled up yaaaayy so much fun to fix 😅😫😭

I'm trying to upload multiple pictures, don't think it's working...
Old 01-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Teching In

So depressing finding your new car full of water...
Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I wasted like 5 hours tryna to blow dry the thing. Don't waste your time, just take the seats and the carpet out. Water went all the way down to the foot pedals and would have rusted. Thankfully I acted fast and pulled everything out before it started molding or smelling funny.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Default 50-70 hours later, finally finished the whole thing.

I didn't log how long I spent, wish I had...

Butyl matted (Amazon Nico Matt?) The whole thing, like 30-49% coverage. Then used bubble wrap ish tinfoil covered insulation. Then put it all back together. Wow it took a while. Opted to use gorilla tape instead of spray adhesive for that second layer of thermal and sound insulation. It's all weighted down by the carpet anyhow. It's much quieter than it ever has been, and im pretty happy with it. Ohh and of course I sealed up all the weather stripping. Pics to follow.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Off brand dynamat works great.

Put pieces in strategic places to stop resonance.

Started applying the foam second layer of insulation.

Foam insulation. Basically bubble wrap on crack surrounded by tinfoil. Great heat and sound insulation. The only downside was the lack of adhesive. Cutting it to size and using tape made more sense than spraying down the beautiful interior with freaking glue.

Almost done at this point.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Finished the insulation!! Mostly... Honestly I got tired of taking pictures. Which now I regret

Putting the carpet back in. Not too difficult. So glad I saved it from mold or rot!! It looks new.

Yeah! This was satisfying.

The carpet fit over the insulation pretty easy.

The last pic I took, sadly. I should have documented putting the interior pieces back in, but I wanted to finish so badly I didn't. Will post finished pics once I take some good ones.

Will probably be selling the car soon 😭. Wife had some medical procedures done and I want it get rid of the debt. Also would love to buy a manual, I can't heart the thought of swapping a car as flawless as this one. PM me if you're interested in the car. It's at 43k miles now and I live near Napa, California.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:24 AM
Teching In

(Seat covers on the seats to protect the mintness of them.)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Enjoying a drive to see the Golden Gate bridge last week the wife loved how smooth it was. Esp compared to my 03Civic SI. Sound deadening ftw. ... tbh I need to get myself an angrier car for when it's just me tho.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Good to hear you saved the car from mold or rust and you made lemonade out of lemons. Great view from that last pic! You can make that car pretty angry if you want. That would be a great starting point, although I’m a manual guy myself.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Good to hear you saved the car from mold or rust and you made lemonade out of lemons. Great view from that last pic! You can make that car pretty angry if you want. That would be a great starting point, although I’m a manual guy myself.

Thank you! I've been enjoying it so much lately, it will be hard to sell it if I end up doing that .. maybe I'll make enough at work this summer to keep it haha!