General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which build will have best return on my time/money?
Street strip build
66.67%
Pro-touring
0%
Restore to original
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

68 chevelle SS 396, pro-tour or street strip or restore to original

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 chevelle SS 396, pro-tour or street strip or restore to original

Ok guys, I just picked up a pretty clean 68 Chevelle SS396, the car is body vin SS396 seller told me it was originally a 4 speed as well but not sure how to verify that yet. The 396 it has now is out of a truck and the trans was swapped to a th350 the rear is a 12bolt posi rear 330 gears drag radials and weld racing wheels. The car was dyno tuned at 340 wheel HP with a carb on it. It has about 3000miles since the guy before "restored" it. which means there are about 3k miles on the drivetrain and suspension and a 10-foot paint job. The interior was replaced and looks good and clean. The body appears to be straight with no rust.

My plan is to build this car drive it for a few months have fun with it then sell it then start a new project. I love all the options below and I'm a sucker for building cars. I would like to get the best resale value out of the car. which type of style of build has the largest group of buyers and best return on my build?
So do I make it a street strip car? LS3 /auto trans with a converter and gears? the car would look mostly stock unless you pop the hood .( my personal preference I'm leaning to)
or pro-touring car, LS3 auto trans and suspension/frame kit and big brake kit wheels and tires( would not look stock at all)
or do i restore it and try and source the 4 speed and correct 396?.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Do as little as possible. If you're looking to turn a buck hopefully you got the car on the cheap. To me a manual back in the car would make it worth more.
The following users liked this post:
chevymec (05-23-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Do as little as possible. If you're looking to turn a buck hopefully you got the car on the cheap.
This.

Very little money to be made on a restoration/project car unless you can buy the parts at cost and work at/own a shop experienced with this type of work. Most folks will lose money on any type of project car unless they managed to complete the initial buy for next to nothing. Even doing all the labor yourself, if you're paying retail for the parts you'll be lucky if you can just break even.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after making a spreadsheet with parts and labor. it is very clear that do as little as possible is the answer
Old 05-15-2021, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Of course it's up to YOU in the long run but making money isn't going to happen with a sketchy history and NOM unless you paid very little as stated above by others.
Almost every major auction house states that buying a fully restored car is usually cheaper than trying to restore it yourself. Never mind the time and headaches involved plus the unseen issues that always seem to arise. Of course that is not applicable for the 6 figure cars that go across the block, but those are special cars that have nearly 6 figures of restoration costs.
From personal friendship experience I like to use a 60's GTO as an example of buying a fully restored example versus restoring one yourself. A minimum of $40k is almost a given for restoring a typical 389 GTO yet you can buy completed decent examples for $40k+. Even going $50k or $60k can be better than finding a restorable example and then all the effort and time involved. Of course this does not apply to folks that like to build cars themselves or as a hobby. I'm just talking the financial angle here.
Just an example of what I am talking about. This beauty sold for $44k last year in Glendale. You know the restoration cost was probably more than what the car sold for. https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0320-42...6-pontiac-gto/
Old 05-15-2021, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Sell it now.
Never did and never will understand the whole idea of building and restoring to "concourse condition" old muscle car's.
They are not fast, they suck fuel and are inferior in every way in comparison to the current muscle cars, and the value is artificially inflated,
But hey, it's your dime.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by dannyz
Never did and never will understand the whole idea of building and restoring to "concourse condition" old muscle car's.
They are not fast, they suck fuel and are inferior in every way in comparison to the current muscle cars...
There are several categories for which the above is objectively true, though at least one for which it is actually not, but objectivity is not a primary factor here. The desire to do this comes mostly from subjective reasoning, therefore inferiority (or, rather, superiority) is really in the eye of the beholder.

However, I continue to agree that there is no money to be made doing this if you are paying for labor and retail for parts. For anyone thinking of commissioning a high level build (be it restoration, pro-touring, or something in-between), stay away from this if you are concerned about a favorable ROI if/when you decide to sell.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are several categories for which the above is objectively true, though at least one for which it is actually not, but objectivity is not a primary factor here. The desire to do this comes mostly from subjective reasoning, therefore inferiority (or, rather, superiority) is really in the eye of the beholder.

However, I continue to agree that there is no money to be made doing this if you are paying for labor and retail for parts. For anyone thinking of commissioning a high level build (be it restoration, pro-touring, or something in-between), stay away from this if you are concerned about a favorable ROI if/when you decide to sell.
Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
When I said inferior in every way, that's not a matter of opinion,
It's a matter of fact.
In any way you want to measure it, old muscle car's are left in the dust.
Now I do appreciate the appearance of old iron. I had a '71 Roadrunner way back in the day. Gold metalflake, with a black vinyl top. Thought it looked amazing.
But, it was not fast, could not corner nor stop and got all of 14mpg.
Spark plugs had to be changed often, point's, rotor, on and on.
So those folk's who stand on their soapbox and claim that comparing old to new is in the eye of the beholder, your fooling yourself.

Last edited by dannyz; 05-16-2021 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Poor grammer
Old 05-16-2021, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
When I said inferior in every way, that's not a matter of opinion,
It's a matter of fact.
Then perhaps you have overlooked a fact...

Simplicity. The technology and knowledge required to be successful in the modern automotive repair field is evidence of this fact. In the basic matter of going from point A to point B, cars do not need to be as complex as they have become at present. 50+ year old cars accomplished this without nearly as much solid-state tech, gadgetry, nor complexity to navigate during service. As such, the tools AND training necessary to keep them operational were not as complex or cost prohibitive. There is no debate on this category, it's true and it's fact (objective), the only valid debate to be had is whether or not this factor is of any personal importance (subjective). But, again, objective considerations are not really a primary factor here either way...

So those folk's who stand on their soapbox and claim that comparing old to new is in the eye of the beholder, your fooling yourself.
As these old cars ARE so expensive, folks aren't "settling" for them because they can't afford anything "better". These cars are a choice, a subjective matter of personal satisfaction (or not). And many of us continue to own old cars along side new/newer cars, yet we still find joy with the old dinosaurs even after being exposed to, and owning, newer tech. So the only fooling that could take place here would be the dismissal of this entire hobby segment as foolish simply because one refuses to accept the subjectivity therein.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Simplicity? So is a rock, then a spear, followed by a bow and arrow's.
By all mean's, keep the old dinosaur's around.
But forget about the nonsense of having the "correct" sticker's all placed exactly where the factory put them five plus decades ago.
Build that mouse/rat motor to perform the way we all imagined they did way back when.
Expensive? I will give you that.
Way overpriced for what your actually getting.
If it were my chevy I would sell it.
Or, build it as a true street-strip ride, and enjoy the hell out of actually driving it.
That's what they were originally built to do.
Much more fun then hanging out with a bunch of clueless people lamenting about how that particular "car over there is one of 127 made with that type of floormat/interior color/fender trim/etc".
Old 05-16-2021, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Simplicity? So is a rock, then a spear, followed by a bow and arrow's.
To be sure, I do see your point. But what happens when the weapon becomes so complex that basic mechanical diagnostics are insufficient to repair a critical failure in its operation? Maybe the bow and arrow starts to look a lot better as the threat approaches and your high tech laser just won't fire.

But, again, it was really just a side point and not a primary factor of the topic at hand...

By all mean's, keep the old dinosaur's around.
But forget about the nonsense of having the "correct" sticker's all placed exactly where the factory put them five plus decades ago.
Build that mouse/rat motor to perform the way we all imagined they did way back when.
Expensive? I will give you that.
Way overpriced for what your actually getting.
If it were my chevy I would sell it.
Or, build it as a true street-strip ride, and enjoy the hell out of actually driving it.
That's what they were originally built to do.
Much more fun then hanging out with a bunch of clueless people lamenting about how that particular "car over there is one of 127 made with that type of floormat/interior color/fender trim/etc".
There's nothing wrong with anything you've said in the above quote, it's all a very valid opinion. But it's just that - an opinion. Some folks in this hobby are driven by measurable performance statistics above all else, while others find satisfaction in different aspects. You can't assign objective inferiority or superiority to something that's a matter of personal preference, opinion or emotion - and I certainly wouldn't argue that these things can make a car objectively "better" overall, but they sure can make it better for a given individual.

FWIW, my 50-year-old dinosaur is far from factory "correct", and I like it just the way it is...incorrectness and all!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I never understand posts like this. Like, you don't already know what you want to do with it? Before I buy a car I've already laid out my plans for it; it's just too bad I can never finish anything because I'm broke. Well you asked, so I'm going to say street/strip, but what's the point? You're selling it in a few months anyway. I'm so confused. I have a friend in town who has a new/different car every few months, which is odd to me, because when I buy stuff I intend to keep it. Different strokes, I guess...
Old 05-19-2021, 01:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by myk
I have a friend in town who has a new/different car every few months, which is odd to me, because when I buy stuff I intend to keep it. Different strokes, I guess...
I also have a friend like this, I've known him for a decade and he's had at least 20 cars in that time, probably several more that I don't even remember. I think he finds joy in the excitement of always getting something different. For me, I find more joy in accumulating many years of memories with the same car - but I guess that only works if you really like the car and aren't the type to get bored with things. Like you said, different strokes.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (05-20-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey. The only real good thing about old cars is the shape of the body. If you just convert it back to a four speed car then you will probably get back an extra $1500 when you sell it. That being said, with parts and labor, you will have over $3,000 invested by that point. I just completed my 1976 Chevrolet Laguna S3. I started with just a body and added a 496bbc, TREMEC Magnum T56, Wilwood brakes, Global West suspension, and a whole lot more. I will never, and I don’t care, get my money back out of it. Just keep in mind that if you want to turn that car into a Pro Touring ride then you could be another $30,000 into it. It’s all up to you. Just put a four speed in it and have some fun. Anything else will turn it into a time consuming never ending money pit.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

I didn't vote as I don't like any of the voting options.
Your stating 'My plan is to build this car drive it for a few months have fun with it then sell it then start a new project.' It's your car, build it the way you would enjoy driving it NOT as a future buyer might like it.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

I like older cars for the look, simplicity, the sound (LS engines sound like **** to me), and just the way they feel.

If you don't that's fine but your opinion means no more than anyone else's. Both of my cars are what I would call quite quick and borderline fast but I'd get rid of both do them for the right older car if I ever came across it.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 563 Likes on 362 Posts

If its in good shape, I would implore you to keep it on the street, drive it and enjoy it. Do upgrades piecemeal, not spending years stripping it down and starting over.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kawboom
If its in good shape, I would implore you to keep it on the street, drive it and enjoy it. Do upgrades piecemeal, not spending years stripping it down and starting over.
This,! Enjoy it and don't dump a bunch of money into it
Old 05-23-2021, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Replace only what is needed. No need to dump money in it just to sell it in a few months, sell it now. I bought my '69 Chevelle with the intent to keep for a long time so I spent more than I should have in the process. I think maybe the buyers would rather see a stock car verses a highly modified car.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Referencing the old vs. new discussion above, I don't think it's either/or, it's both/and. One thing classic musclecars of the 64-72 heyday had that's lacking in most modern ones is STYLE. That's why you see so many LS conversions. Guys want modern performance with classic style.

But something is lost there, too. While my daily driver stalled Formula will blow away my turbo 400 GTO, I love the feel of the low-end torque that its 428 makes. While my modern M6 cars are quicker and shift slicker, I love rowing the gears of the Muncie four speed in my Judge with the T-handle shifter. There's just something about the rowdiness and rawness of the old muscle that has never lost it's appeal to me.

But regarding what to do with this Chevelle, I agree that the only thing worth doing that will add value and saleability, is converting it back to a four speed.

Quick Reply: 68 chevelle SS 396, pro-tour or street strip or restore to original