General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need more HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need more HP

Really looking like it’s time for an engine up grade either by building the original ls6 with 72k miles or doing a swap. New Mustangs and Camaros are quite fast stock and my old 01 SS Camaro 6 speed with only bolt ons and 360/360 at wheels is lacking about 100-150hp.

So which way to go? I don’t drag race the car but like to have fun up in the mountains.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 220 Likes on 165 Posts

How much money do you want to spend?

I'm pretty happy with my PRC 225s and Fast 102 setup. If I were to do it again, I would probably change my cam because the Torquer V2 is a little outdated compared to some newer cams.
The following users liked this post:
spdygon (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 398 Likes on 290 Posts

Supercharger.

Well, that was easy.
68Formula (09-01-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 01:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by spdygon
Really looking like it’s time for an engine up grade either by building the original ls6 with 72k miles or doing a swap. New Mustangs and Camaros are quite fast stock and my old 01 SS Camaro 6 speed with only bolt ons and 360/360 at wheels is lacking about 100-150hp.

So which way to go? I don’t drag race the car but like to have fun up in the mountains.
No "original LS6" in an '01 SS. The only LS6 parts on those would be the intake, and a small percentage received an LS6 block but they were still considered an LS1 engine as they did not receive the LS6 heads or cam.

IMO, 360rwhp isn't bad for just having fun in a car at typical 4th gen F-body weight. I was able to run 11.9x-12.1x, tire dependent, at that power level in my WS6. That's not "fast" by today's standards, but I wouldn't call it boring either. If you are trying to compete with the latest generation of premium muscle/sport cars then yes, you will need more, but you mentioned that you don't drag race. So are we talking about street action, or some other type of racing?

If you just want more power then working with the current engine, especially if the bottom end is still healthy, is going to be easier than swapping to a later gen SBC. Gen III is still capable of making gobs of power with the right combo of parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
NC01TA (09-02-2021), spdygon (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

^^^ Nailed it.
Beautiful car there Spdygon. Are you sure you want more HP for fun in the mountains?? A 'stock' F-body will get you in trouble in the 'twisties'. More HP is worthless for mountain runs unless you are racing. I have had numerous 'spirited' runs in the mountains with all types of cars. Handling is key compared to HP. Do or buy whatever you like but my 'stock' Trans Am will perform better in the mountains than my new Hemi Challenger (and it has the upgraded performance/suspension package).
Tail of the Dragon, for example, is all about the driver and handling IMO, not HP. My old 1995 air cooled 911 was probably the best with it's 270 HP, and my Z3 second with it's 225 HP. Neither car was fast in a straight line but man, they could handle the mountain runs. I also had a 1996 C4 with the Z51 handling package and it too was excellent!. It was 'stock'. The Trans Am definitely holds it's own. Upgraded suspension parts would make it probably 'equal'.

The following 2 users liked this post by NC01TA:
blackbyrd (09-17-2021), spdygon (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 354 Likes on 241 Posts

Turbo. Easy 150hp and can somewhat compensate for air density at higher altitude.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Fast, cheap, or reliable? You can have only two.

I agree on making it handle but again build it for what you want it to do.
​​​​​​I have always felt the 4th gens handled ok but my C4's, especially my Z51 cars, out handled them with ease. The same on ramps I could take at 40 in the Camaro I could take at 45+ in the Vettes and it felt relaxed vs the white knuckle F-Body approach. Lol My current f-body handles awesome but it has Koni yellow shocks, good springs, heavy duty sways...etc and NT-01's at all corners. It grips and will hold a corner at substantial speed. It also transitions quick and flat but when it was stock it had plenty of body roll and bounce even for being a 54k mile car. Compared to my truck it was a slot car but compared to how it is now it handled like a Model A. But if I had built it for the drag track I wouldn't have set it up how I did but then I would have given up a lot in the handling department.
The following 2 users liked this post by 440_Stroker:
NC01TA (09-04-2021), spdygon (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 02:18 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

A lot of good, sound advice here in this thread. As mentioned, power will get you in trouble or even hurt in the mountains. I live in the N. Ga. Mtns, in a spot where sport bikes and high end sports cars make lots of noises on weekends here. That’s really the only noises I hear around here as I’m surrounded by wildlife management area. In my opinion, you need to do some research here and design a package that will tailor your interests. I’d consider a camshaft change that will make great, flat torque in the rpm band you like to cruise at…which will make the car feel a lot faster…and at the same time upgrade the sway bars, springs/struts, and brakes. A lot of folks overlook brakes, and to me a great brake package will highly enhance the driving experience. Tire technology has came leaps and bounds in the last couple years, so there’s another avenue to make your car quicker in the curves. All this makes the car safer to drive as well.
And at the end of the day, if it’s only power your after and you really don’t care about making the car handle, the supercharger advice from QT is the easiest way to achieve another 100-150 hp and even more torque. If that’s the route you want to go, buy a nice comfy helmet to go with it. Might save your life in the twisties one day.
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
blackbyrd (09-17-2021), NC01TA (09-04-2021), spdygon (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
No "original LS6" in an '01 SS. The only LS6 parts on those would be the intake, and a small percentage received an LS6 block but they were still considered an LS1 engine as they did not receive the LS6 heads or cam.

IMO, 360rwhp isn't bad for just having fun in a car at typical 4th gen F-body weight. I was able to run 11.9x-12.1x, tire dependent, at that power level in my WS6. That's not "fast" by today's standards, but I wouldn't call it boring either. If you are trying to compete with the latest generation of premium muscle/sport cars then yes, you will need more, but you mentioned that you don't drag race. So are we talking about street action, or some other type of racing?

If you just want more power then working with the current engine, especially if the bottom end is still healthy, is going to be easier than swapping to a later gen SBC. Gen III is still capable of making gobs of power with the right combo of parts.
Was told by Vengenes Racing when first had them tune my car that it has the ls6 block and intake but still considered a ls1.
car is set up for road course but still one in a while like to pull a 3rd gear on a straight

Old 09-02-2021, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Che70velle
A lot of good, sound advice here in this thread. As mentioned, power will get you in trouble or even hurt in the mountains. I live in the N. Ga. Mtns, in a spot where sport bikes and high end sports cars make lots of noises on weekends here. That’s really the only noises I hear around here as I’m surrounded by wildlife management area. In my opinion, you need to do some research here and design a package that will tailor your interests. I’d consider a camshaft change that will make great, flat torque in the rpm band you like to cruise at…which will make the car feel a lot faster…and at the same time upgrade the sway bars, springs/struts, and brakes. A lot of folks overlook brakes, and to me a great brake package will highly enhance the driving experience. Tire technology has came leaps and bounds in the last couple years, so there’s another avenue to make your car quicker in the curves. All this makes the car safer to drive as well.
And at the end of the day, if it’s only power your after and you really don’t care about making the car handle, the supercharger advice from QT is the easiest way to achieve another 100-150 hp and even more torque. If that’s the route you want to go, buy a nice comfy helmet to go with it. Might save your life in the twisties one day.
Pretty experienced on both riding and driving..I’m up in N Ga and N Carolina mountains every weekend on my motorcycle. Been riding up there for over 20 years. Just need more HP for those 3rd gear straight pulls. Car is set up for road course…most all suspension upgrades by Strano
NC01TA (09-04-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Fast, cheap, or reliable? You can have only two.

I agree on making it handle but again build it for what you want it to do.
​​​​​​I have always felt the 4th gens handled ok but my C4's, especially my Z51 cars, out handled them with ease. The same on ramps I could take at 40 in the Camaro I could take at 45+ in the Vettes and it felt relaxed vs the white knuckle F-Body approach. Lol My current f-body handles awesome but it has Koni yellow shocks, good springs, heavy duty sways...etc and NT-01's at all corners. It grips and will hold a corner at substantial speed. It also transitions quick and flat but when it was stock it had plenty of body roll and bounce even for being a 54k mile car. Compared to my truck it was a slot car but compared to how it is now it handled like a Model A. But if I had built it for the drag track I wouldn't have set it up how I did but then I would have given up a lot in the handling department.
Car already has a lot of suspension upgrades mostly from Strano with his HP5 kit and few other fully adjustable bars underneath. Handles very well and I do very well with sports cara up in the mountains. It’s only when we get in a straight we’re i start to loose distance.
480-500 WHP would be nice
Old 09-02-2021, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
^^^ Nailed it.
Beautiful car there Spdygon. Are you sure you want more HP for fun in the mountains?? A 'stock' F-body will get you in trouble in the 'twisties'. More HP is worthless for mountain runs unless you are racing. I have had numerous 'spirited' runs in the mountains with all types of cars. Handling is key compared to HP. Do or buy whatever you like but my 'stock' Trans Am will perform better in the mountains than my new Hemi Challenger (and it has the upgraded performance/suspension package).
Tail of the Dragon, for example, is all about the driver and handling IMO, not HP. My old 1995 air cooled 911 was probably the best with it's 270 HP, and my Z3 second with it's 225 HP. Neither car was fast in a straight line but man, they could handle the mountain runs. I also had a 1996 C4 with the Z51 handling package and it too was excellent!. It was 'stock'. The Trans Am definitely holds it's own. Upgraded suspension parts would make it probably 'equal'.

i live only 2.5 hours away from Deals Gap and make the trip several time a year both in motorcycle and car oh and 3 months ago in our Honda Odyssey.lol
It has full suspension upgrades already just need more HP for those straight line 3-4 gear pulls
NC01TA (09-04-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob570
How much money do you want to spend?

I'm pretty happy with my PRC 225s and Fast 102 setup. If I were to do it again, I would probably change my cam because the Torquer V2 is a little outdated compared to some newer cams.
Reason I’m asking for some opinions and options. If a set of heads , cam kit , another intake and lid will cost $5k plus why not spend $2-$5k more for a built engine.
Just so many options out there
Old 09-02-2021, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Supercharger.

Well, that was easy.
would be nice but don’t need extra 100lbs in the front.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Pretty experienced on both riding and driving..I’m up in N Ga and N Carolina mountains every weekend on my motorcycle. Been riding up there for over 20 years. Just need more HP for those 3rd gear straight pulls. Car is set up for road course…most all suspension upgrades by Strano
Gotcha. Ever do Burnt Mtn between jasper and Dawsonville? Over by Amicalola Falls…
NC01TA (09-04-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Reason I’m asking for some opinions and options. If a set of heads , cam kit , another intake and lid will cost $5k plus why not spend $2-$5k more for a built engine.
Just so many options out there
Why not juice it? If it's just for those third gear pulls why not?
Old 09-03-2021, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

Few ways to make 500 wheel

Ls2 stroker 402 with a medium sized cam. Good heads
ls1 383 stroker with good heads and medium / big cam
Ls1 procharger

any of these options will be similar in cost. If you want simple, I would just procharge it make 550 and be done.

Or do both. idk your budget. A 402 typically makes 480 to 520. 383 a little less but you have a brand new engine if you build it.

You could build the engine now and stroke it and then boost it later as well.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 398 Likes on 290 Posts

would be nice but don’t need extra 100lbs in the front.
Procharger is not even remotely close to that heavy.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Why not juice it? If it's just for those third gear pulls why not?
You'd have to ramp it in real slow in mountainous terrain and it could still be a bit sketchy as nitrous is usually a WOT only power adder. Slow ramp times are hard on the solenoids too... sure it would work, maybe to good
Old 09-04-2021, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

i live only 2.5 hours away from Deals Gap and make the trip several time a year both in motorcycle and car oh and 3 months ago in our Honda Odyssey.lol
It has full suspension upgrades already just need more HP for those straight line 3-4 gear pulls
Where do you live? I'm in Franklin NC, just 2 hours away from Deal's Gap. This is getting to be a small world.

Quick Reply: Need more HP