General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

wrong cam or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wrong cam or not ?

hey guys,so i did a complete 6.0 cammed swap alone in my garage summer of 2020,i will give all the info for you
engine.6.0 L96 fr;silverado 2500hd swapped into a 05 blazer with caltracs and wide tires with 6 speed
cam tsp stage 1 225/236
gears for now 373
tire size 28
ls3 intake and injectors
headers
3 inch exhaust single.
got it tuned by a super smart guy hp mobile tuner = awesome.
after i got it tuned i noticed when i got home my collector bolts were loose
then i swapped to a t56 with mgw short throw,its running rich,or lean.i think rich from loose bolts,no problem though

problem is ,its all top end guys,and when it comes to cams everyone tells you something different.
so im debating on pulling the cam and going with a btr truck cam,is the truck norris any good.
i do plan on going to 4.30 gears.
so im wanting to be able to romp on it and it take off thru the lower gears like most of us would like
should i swap cams or would 4'30 gears make it right ? ive spent tons of money i didnt skimp on anything i just need someone to show some compassion
and tell me what should be done,i was reading about 1.8 rocker arms and i did the calculations and it came up to 0.666 lol ooook then.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:56 AM
Teching In

when i did this swap by myself i had never even touched a ls engine,well truck engine with coil packs ive always had just sbc's.so i called tsp and told them the engine i had and what it was going in,i dont know why on earth they sold me a ls3 cam.im the only fool on youtube with a truck engine with a ls3 cam.now i can remove it and put another one for low end to mid,or like i was asking would a set of 4.30 gears make up that much of a difference to where it will get up and go,especially since i ditched the stock 5 speed for the t56.it is a trip.how fast are you guys going to use 6th gear ? if im doing like 60 and put it in 6th it drops rpm's down so low it almost bogs,like below 1000 rpm's.is this normal with 373's ? i get paid in a couple days so i need to get busy,so any help on here would be great.if i call btr im sure they will want to sell me another cam.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more duration degrees the cam has it will move the powerband to higher RPMs if you want something more "torquey" maybe go with a 220/224. Motortrend has a nice article that talks about cam specs. i would give that a read when deciding on your cam

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ho...ight-camshaft/

Last edited by cpressl90; 02-13-2022 at 11:20 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 02-14-2022, 09:07 PM
Teching In

thanks,yea i called BTR we talked about the truck norris cam and he said i would actually lose 50 horse power with that cam.and he said to try the 430 gears.he said he didnt really have anything else to put me in.he said if he was going to take it down the track he would stick with what i have,funny thing is, when i called TSP i told them i wouldnt be running it at the track i just wanted something fun to drive shifting gears chirping tires and stuff,but i got the ls3 top end cam instead.didnt know much about cams and no one to really talk to or trust and everyone has a different opinion with cams.

im pretty bummed out,i sold a sports car i had and got a stack of cash to do this swap,and i decided i would try what everyone is talking about,so i found a L96 6.0 im not impressed at all.back in the day i had a s10 with a 5 speed and a LT1 from a camaro aluminum heads and that thing was fast as hell.356 gears it would bark 3rd gear every time and sometimes 4th depending on road and weather.it was fast man,i just dont understand how a 300 hp engine was faster then what i have now you know,its weird haha and depressing.i called my friend because i have the 430 gears and install kit so we will see what happens.any ideas anyone ? if its pretty decent i guess at top end,will a newly installed t56 with mgw shifter and 430 gears maybe do something good.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Long post with stories!

Congratulations, on completing the swap and getting the truck running! That's an awesome accomplishment! A++

First, seems like a good cam choice in my experience with half a dozen LS set ups. I tend to favor medium sized cams for the street and that's pretty good pick!.

Please read will taller tires kill your gearing????

1) I think the 28 inch tires with 3.73's is the root of the problem provided everything is installed properly with the engine. 4.56 gears ⚙️ are more in keeping with 28 inch tires in my opinion. Others might like 4.30's.

2) degree cam in the old school way and make sure it's on the money. Sometimes cams end up slightly retarded due to grinding, machining of timing set etc. Retarded cam timing would cause the power to come on a little higher in the rpm range which doesn't seem to be desirable in this case.

3) If you don't like the way the power comes on with that cam, it might be possible to advance it by 1 or 2 degrees. Piston valve clearance would need to be checked first probably etc

Back in the day in 1997 to 1999 most folks thought the old Gen 2 LT1 was faster than an LS1 because the LT1 makes its midrange torque lower in the rpm range. It's easy to feel the LT1 riding around shifting at 3,000 rpms, less so with an LS1. One of my friends was so sure of this he bought an LT1 T/A and then promptly challenged my LS1 T/A from a slow roll to prove his point. He got walked like a dog and gaptized by 4+ car lengths before we hit triple digits...falling behind faster and faster as the mph increased. High rpm power slaughters bottom end torque in a drag race over distance.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-15-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Teching In

hey thanks for the reply,yea it took me about 3 or 4 months,i kept getting wrong parts from summit and had to wait to get the right ones,i spent a lot of time beating in the firewall underneath to make sure nothing hit because my lt1 did,headers like you know always are a pain in places they are made to go in.but yea every nut and bolt was done by me in my 100 degree garage with 99 % humidity and zero breeze in the woods where i live.

sorry for the long story guys,im on my home computer so i type away,i cant use a cell phone god it would take me forever to type all the info needed for yall and i try to give every bit of info,ive read too many times where someone ask a question and doesnt give any info lol.i know people on forums like pictures so heres a couple,the l96 truck intake was so big it hit the heater core where it comes out of the firewall so i had to drop down to a ls3 intake which made me lose some power and torque so ive heard but i think it looks good,but damn i had to dump a ton on money in it because of this,brackets,ls3 injectors everything so it worked together.oh yea i redid where the bracket holds the cai.i drilled a hole in the pipe and bolted it to the core support pulling it away from the alt.

The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Heat, humidity & no breeze makes for hard work, has to be a labor of love and passion to do a swap in those conditions while fighting wrong parts and limited availability. Looks like you did a fantastic job based on the pictures, very professional. Appreciate you sharing them cause, yes we all like pictures!

Hopefully, more folks will chime in.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn nice install and congratulations on getting it going ! id look more towards some 456 gears to take up some of that low rpm bog since you have a T56 & 28s. I would keep the current cam and adjust around that platform until your happy.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:28 PM
Teching In

thanks guys your words mean a lot to me.i have 456 gears on my lifted z71 so i wasnt sure which gears to get.i talked to a guy on youtube that had 488's and he said he went way too big on his truck and that i should try the 430's so there in the garage im just waiting for this guy to text back so i can get them put in and honestly be done for a while.but then i have to work on our latest edition to the driveway a 2006 trailblazer ss.i havent made my mind up yet about that thing.it runs pretty good i just dont like all the electronic gizmo's it has you know.

i remember back in the day when the ls1 camaro's and trans am's were rolling around with cam's and borla i never raced one of those guys in my s10 haha.they sounded mean as hell.i never see any.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to LSx stuff but,,,

You say you just put in LS3 cam? I've been contemplating my planned DOD delete on my new to me 08 GXP and I've narrowed it down to possibly LS2/LS3 cam, as I'm not looking for HUGE numbers to start, still need to do the 80E trans swap.
Then might be able to deal with hotter cam as long as the gas prices stabilize a bit lower. I'm planning a DOD delete with reasonable cam and better intake, hoping for approximately 400 hp and still get decent mileage. And be drivable some.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:10 AM
Teching In

hows it going just the group of guys i wanted to talk to.i did my swap in the summer of 2021,and ive been messing with it every since,due to a bad tune from a highly known tuner shop,pssshhh oh well,and then the transmission was the original 5 speed so i bought a reman built one from zumbroutta from summit and it started popping out of gears within 2 or 3 hundred miles so then i bought the t56,so i pulled the trans 3 times.and yes alone too.

i bought my 430 gears but cant find anyone around here to install them.ive never driven a car with a 80e ,i have a hughes 4l60e in my lifted truck w/ 456 gears big tires so it drinks gas,and we have a 06 trailblazer ss it has a ls2 with the 4l70 or 65 not sure but it has 410 gears and drinks gas,maybe someone else will chime in about that trans,what gears do you have ?
Old 12-17-2022, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

How important is your gas mileage?

Quick Reply: wrong cam or not ?