General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Sudden Fast Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Sudden Fast Idle

Happy New Year! The TA was dead as a door **** this morning after sitting in the cold for 5 days. Once cranked, it wanted to idle high. I figured there was some relearning going on. However 20 miles down the road she was at 2k when I popped it into neutral while on the highway. It acted like the cruise was stuck as I was using it.
Once I reached my destination, it slowly settled into the idle which is set to 775 rpm.

I took a gander under the hood and didn't see anything obvious; I figure I'll clean the throttle body and MAF later.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2024, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Happy New Year! The TA was dead as a door **** this morning after sitting in the cold for 5 days. Once cranked, it wanted to idle high. I figured there was some relearning going on. However 20 miles down the road she was at 2k when I popped it into neutral while on the highway. It acted like the cruise was stuck as I was using it.
Once I reached my destination, it slowly settled into the idle which is set to 775 rpm.

I took a gander under the hood and didn't see anything obvious; I figure I'll clean the throttle body and MAF later.

Any ideas?
Idle air control valve??
Old 01-02-2024, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Idle air control valve??
Thats a possibility. Interestingly, it’s fine after another 20 mile drive.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I don't think there's any actual issue here.

Skipping the idle relearn procedure isn't a big deal on a stock car, but it looks like the OP has a bunch of mods that would require custom tuning. The idle will eventually relearn on it's own regardless, as seen above, but in my experience the process can be a bit more dramatic with an aftermarket cam & tune - especially if you don't do the suggested OBD relearn (which involves several minutes of uninterrupted idling, in gear and out, after operating temp is reached - and then a restart of the engine).

Assuming you don't see any further problems, I wouldn't give this another thought (meaning, I wouldn't go looking for a problem because, so far, it doesn't really sound like there is any problem in the first place).

The only actual "problem" that I see here is your battery dying after just 5 days. I live in a much colder climate, and I have a spare daily driver that often sits for 2-3 weeks at a time in the winter. The battery will still have plenty of power to fire the engine even after 3 weeks of being untouched in cold weather. So I suspect that you either have an old/weak battery or some sort of excessive drain.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (01-02-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good points. Time to break out the ammeter to see if there is some parasitic draw of current. I have an optima red top battery that's only a few years old.
The idle returned to normal eventually yesterday; it was actually more than the idle speed as the engine was racing at 2k on the highway when I popped it into neutral.
I had thought about reflashing the tune.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

; it was actually more than the idle speed as the engine was racing at 2k on the highway when I popped it into neutral.
That’s why I was thinking maybe the IAC. If too much air is going through it (stuck open) it can cause the revs to hang and or be slow to fall. That’s how it is on another car I have anyway. I’m assuming the LS would be the same.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

That’s why I was thinking maybe the IAC. If too much air is going through it (stuck open) it can cause the revs to hang and or be slow to fall. That’s how it is on another car I have anyway. I’m assuming the LS would be the same.
Definitely has the symptom of that. Not sure how long those are supposed to last, but it's been steady busy for the last 23 years and 398000 miles!

Last edited by TA_Freak; 01-04-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It would be odd for an IAC to fail at the exact same moment that the battery died. Not impossible, but the odds are doubtful. Again, lots more weird things can happen (this includes shifting into neutral even at speed) with improper idle relearn when the car has a cam and tuning.

With that in mind, it's also possible that the IAC is not in the best of health at this point, but "seemed" to be fine until the forced relearn of a dead battery caused some freakout and exposed some weakness. In other words, maybe an early warning sign. But I still wouldn't mess with it unless the problem returns without the battery dying or anything else to prompt any weirdness.

The newer Optima batteries are not nearly as good as the older generations; quality is not what it once was with this brand. Based on this, probably you don't have any issues with excessive drain but just a bad battery.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nothing wrong here. And will likely do it again next time the battery goes dead.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Nothing wrong here. And will likely do it again next time the battery goes dead.
Interestingly, my Optima red top was dead last night. Charged it overnight and didn't have any issues.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interestingly, my Optima red top was dead last night. Charged it overnight and didn't have any issues.
Time for a Walmart Everstart..
Old 01-08-2024, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Time for a Walmart Everstart..
That what I hear. I've got three of those red tops and one is dead after smoking it - charging. The other 2 are iffy in the cold. When the TA's gauges peg hard right when I crank it, I know it's low.
Y2K_Frenzy (01-08-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It would be odd for an IAC to fail at the exact same moment that the battery died. Not impossible, but the odds are doubtful. Again, lots more weird things can happen (this includes shifting into neutral even at speed) with improper idle relearn when the car has a cam and tuning.

With that in mind, it's also possible that the IAC is not in the best of health at this point, but "seemed" to be fine until the forced relearn of a dead battery caused some freakout and exposed some weakness. In other words, maybe an early warning sign. But I still wouldn't mess with it unless the problem returns without the battery dying or anything else to prompt any weirdness.

The newer Optima batteries are not nearly as good as the older generations; quality is not what it once was with this brand. Based on this, probably you don't have any issues with excessive drain but just a bad battery.
Not even related. The red top has died a few more times with the colder weather.

This morning by revs were hanging up at about the same spot as twice before. I'm thinking IAC time. It's happened twice since I posted the start of this thread.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not even related. The red top has died a few more times with the colder weather.

This morning by revs were hanging up at about the same spot as twice before. I'm thinking IAC time. It's happened twice since I posted the start of this thread.
Take it off and clean it with something like this first. I use this to clean and lube guns etc and it works well. I’ve also used it on an IAC. It’s safe for plastics, gunk will run out, and it’ll lube the spring. all-in-one RV
Old 01-23-2024, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take it off and clean it with something like this first. I use this to clean and lube guns etc and it works well. I’ve also used it on an IAC. It’s safe for plastics, gunk will run out, and it’ll lube the spring. all-in-one RV
No such luck. I cleaned it and it still idling high and stumbling low at times. The plunger had a slight tear near the base of it. I just ordered one.
Y2K_Frenzy (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

No such luck. I cleaned it and it still idling high and stumbling low at times. The plunger had a slight tear near the base of it. I just ordered one.
Darn it. Well I hope the new one does the trick for you. Surely maybe it will.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Darn it. Well I hope the new one does the trick for you. Surely maybe it will.
I'm golden! The new valve did the trick. After knowing it was good, I went ahead and cleaned the MAF and throttle body. I did want to do it all at once, or I would forever wonder what fixed it!
Y2K_Frenzy (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm golden! The new valve did the trick. After knowing it was good, I went ahead and cleaned the MAF and throttle body. I did want to do it all at once, or I would forever wonder what fixed it!
Atta boy.

Quick Reply: Sudden Fast Idle