General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

any VW owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any VW owners out there?

My friend has a 2000? VW GTI diesel. He says he's getting 40-50mpg?!

I'm thinking about looking into a used one just for the gas milage?

I mean I figure diesels last forever?, and pretty much the same with VW's

sure, not much in the way of ***** but thats what my 2 fbodies are for

lookin for comments of owners, or people with experience with them

thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

My grandpa has a Beetle with a diesel in it. Actually he's had 2, one auto and one manual.

Auto gets between 40-50 mpg and the manual got average of 58. Got 63 on the highway.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

that'd be awesome to get that milage...if it wasn't in a beetle lol. at least the GTI can look a lil sharp with a set of wheels

am I right assuming the diesels will last for a long @$$ time?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

This is my GF's 03 TDI Jetta w/ Monte Wheels. She gets over 60MPG and its an Automatic!!!

When we go on trips, we take her car. When we need to get somewhere fast, we take my car. it works out very nicely...hehe
Old 07-05-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, here, per gallon, diesel is more expensive...i say....false economy?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Splitz
Well, here, per gallon, diesel is more expensive...i say....false economy?
I think the idea is that even though it might cost a few cents more, if you get substantially better fuel economy, then you've obviously saved money.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

is the price per gallon of diesel more than double that of gasoline? because the mileage is easily double. I used to work on vee dubs (go me....) the diesels are good cars. i would reccomend a 5 speed. also, be prepared to have a check engine light come on for glow plug failures. also, eventually the intake manifold will get chocked up with carbon, and will have to be removed for cleaning. its a royal p.i.t.a for a do it yourselfer because you will need some tools most people dont have, like a 5mm long ball allen, and a set of special hose clamp pliers with a cable on them. bottom line, in the long run, they are worth it, and they arent bad cars. they just arent flawless either.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jbres79
This is my GF's 03 TDI Jetta w/ Monte Wheels. She gets over 60MPG and its an Automatic!!!

When we go on trips, we take her car. When we need to get somewhere fast, we take my car. it works out very nicely...hehe

That Jetta probably costs a ton more than a used GTI though?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01RedT/A
is the price per gallon of diesel more than double that of gasoline? because the mileage is easily double. I used to work on vee dubs (go me....) the diesels are good cars. i would reccomend a 5 speed. also, be prepared to have a check engine light come on for glow plug failures. also, eventually the intake manifold will get chocked up with carbon, and will have to be removed for cleaning. its a royal p.i.t.a for a do it yourselfer because you will need some tools most people dont have, like a 5mm long ball allen, and a set of special hose clamp pliers with a cable on them. bottom line, in the long run, they are worth it, and they arent bad cars. they just arent flawless either.

right now 87 is more expensive than diesel. of course the way things are now, you blink and its changed already. but either way, its not twice as much!

Thanks for the post! I would have a 5spd for sure. glow plug failure doesn't sound like a problem, but the intake does sound like a PITA.

I really like the GTI's with a nice set of wheels. 4 door though, I think the coupe looks too tiny. They Jetta posted above is nice, but probably a ton more than the GTI.

Of course the newer the car, the better the mileage i would assume
Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

diesel ENGINES seem to last forever. i'm particularly very nervous of volkswagen. my dad listens to AM radio a lot and on sundays, this guy "the car doctor" comes on. this dude knows EVERYTHING, he's incredible. he is absolutely livid of volkswagen. his sister bought one and he absolutely flipped on her. volkswagens tend to have a lot of weird problems. they make a decent engine, especially a diesel, but their electrical systems are garbage. i've heard of weird stories like windshield wipers burning out (no, not fuses, the motors blow out). i don't think i'd buy a volkswagen. if you're looking for 60mpg, buy a honda insight. i'd take the H any day over VW. at least honda has a reputation for quality. VW has a reputation for "if you can't afford a german car, we'll give you one". that's all they are - a poor man's way of driving german - and you get what you pay for.

FWIW, diesel was $2.71 here in NJ today.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Yeah, my gf has a gas powered New Beetle. She's always having random, unrelated problems with it. Besides that, it's an absolute biatch to work on. Don't even think of changing the battery yourself. It has all sorts of additional connections to it and most run-of-the-mill non-VW auto shops will even refuse to change it. You basically have to know how to reset the system afterwards. It's a joke.

That said, I did work with a gal who had a manual diesel New Beetle. She loved it. But only because it got 50+ mpg. She too had random, nonsense problems with it.

Oh, and my gf's gas-powered Beetle's oil filter is mounted above several coolant hoses. So when you change the oil it gets really stinky for a good while afterwards. It burns oil. And you pretty much have to disassemble the MAF/air cleaner plenum up to the manifold if you want to change the filter element without destroying the new filter.

I hate the thing. I've finally talked her into searching for a replacement. Especially now that her warranty is up.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Audi/VW tech and I hate deisels, fuel is higher, the special oil for the newer ones is $12/qt and every 60k the services cost in the neighborhood of $1500
Old 07-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Launching!

From the mouth of a man who really knows what matters!! STAY AWAY!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

damn, my buddy hasn't had a problem with his and he's over 100k miles
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
diesel ENGINES seem to last forever. i'm particularly very nervous of volkswagen. my dad listens to AM radio a lot and on sundays, this guy "the car doctor" comes on. this dude knows EVERYTHING, he's incredible. he is absolutely livid of volkswagen. his sister bought one and he absolutely flipped on her. volkswagens tend to have a lot of weird problems. they make a decent engine, especially a diesel, but their electrical systems are garbage. i've heard of weird stories like windshield wipers burning out (no, not fuses, the motors blow out). i don't think i'd buy a volkswagen. if you're looking for 60mpg, buy a honda insight. i'd take the H any day over VW. at least honda has a reputation for quality. VW has a reputation for "if you can't afford a german car, we'll give you one". that's all they are - a poor man's way of driving german - and you get what you pay for.

FWIW, diesel was $2.71 here in NJ today.

i recently bought a 01 ls1...b.c my VW PASSAT 1/8t (gas) had alot of problems. at right around 80k the turbos go...check engine light is always on, its like everytime you turn around there is another problem w/ the car. ive heard that VW'S can last a long time..but mine died at 80k. I also have some friend w/ some problems w/ the engines
Old 07-15-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kind of stuff belongs on seatstaysup.com guys