General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

"loud exhaust" citation

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "loud exhaust" citation

Last night I got pulled over and got cited for a loud exhaust. The friendly constable issued me a fix-it slip and expects me to show up at the police station with a more subtle exhaust.
The funny thing is, my current setup is the quietest I have ever run. Ever hear a Loudmouth with LTs and no cats? Now that's loud! Never got pulled over then.
Currently I run LTs with a Corsa exhaust. Loud, but not at low RPMs. Not nearly as loud as the local Harley's with them damn straight pipes.
I wasn't even romping on it, kept the Rs below 2000.
What the hell am I supposed to do now? Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

kick him in the ovaries!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meatfoam
Last night I got pulled over and got cited for a loud exhaust. The friendly constable issued me a fix-it slip and expects me to show up at the police station with a more subtle exhaust.
The funny thing is, my current setup is the quietest I have ever run. Ever hear a Loudmouth with LTs and no cats? Now that's loud! Never got pulled over then.
Currently I run LTs with a Corsa exhaust. Loud, but not at low RPMs. Not nearly as loud as the local Harley's with them damn straight pipes.
I wasn't even romping on it, kept the Rs below 2000.
What the hell am I supposed to do now? Any suggestions?
well when you go there..they have to measure it. if the car isn't that loud then you should be good and the cop was being a dick. What is the standard there in dbs?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, now that makes me nervous with LT's/CatY and Corsa Cat-back. I've got close to the same setup and I don't think it's that loud. Wife says is sounds like a car that needs a new exhaust...lol. But @ 2000 RPM's (basically that's cruise @ 70 MPH freeway) doesn't sound louder than stock exhaust on my Z.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Tech Resident

Buy a used stock exhuast, slap it on, go to the station... then take it right back off

Or you could do what I did... just never show up. But fix it tickets in CT are pretty lax.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

try that here in CA, and theyll come to your house when youre in the shower and send a midgit to handcuff you and bring you to the governator.

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Buy a used stock exhuast, slap it on, go to the station... then take it right back off

Or you could do what I did... just never show up. But fix it tickets in CT are pretty lax.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by @nthony
kick him in the ovaries!

Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

well when you go there..they have to measure it. if the car isn't that loud then you should be good and the cop was being a dick. What is the standard there in dbs?
Well, according to the ordinance the definition of loud is at the Officer's discretion, there is no dB level. Isn't that messed up? If I get lucky, the cop who will take a look at my car is a Metallica fan and has been too many concerts and laughs at the thought that anybody would possibly consider my car loud
Or, I could get some of my friends to drive by the station on their Harleys while my exhaust is being inspected. They are WAY louder than me, but they NEVER get hassled.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Launching!

if you want a quck way out that you can remove i have heard of people putting some fiberglass insulation in the tail pipe a little ways. i think they bent wire to press against the walls of the pipe to hold the fiberglass in there. i really don't know if this could cause harm or even work that well but it might be worth asking about.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven right by a few leo's, and they would watch me drive by, lol.. but no trouble yet...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say you put electric cutouts on, have them measure the sound with your cutouts closed, then when you drive off open them up and romp on it as you pull out of the parking lot...although that could come back to bite you in the ***, itd be funny at the time
Old 10-09-2006, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really a better question for a lawyer in your area. But if a lawyer says there is no way out of it then what choice do you really have? Move, sell the car or change the exhaust.

If I had to change your exhaust I would replace the ORY with a catted Y and replace the Corsa with a SLP dual/dual. That is the absolute quietest setup I have heard that still uses LT headers.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

you shoulda got the Borla!

Show up in court with the closed plate be like the guy's a dick its not loud at all