General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

just bought a cobra esd 737 radar laser detector

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a cobra esd 737 radar laser detector

just bought a cobra esd 737 radar laser detector. any experience with one of these?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

all radar detectors are a waste of money. cops leave off their radar till they see you, then flip it on real quick, makes your detector useless.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
all radar detectors are a waste of money. cops leave off their radar till they see you, then flip it on real quick, makes your detector useless.
It sure helps when they flip it on cars that are way ahead of you so you have time to slow down.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had a friend of mine tell me the same thing, and he is a cop, but I know mine has saved me at least once, and the price of it is by far worth the cost of a speeding ticket.

But Ive never put a lot of money into one, I have always had the cheap ones, and Ive never had a ticket or been pulled over.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

+2 to them being a waste of money. and good luck trying to get the place to honor the whole, "if you get a ticket, we will pay it" thing. wild goose chase IMO. better off just doing 130+. that way you at least have time to get off the highway. lol.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

i have the valentine 1 radar detector and ive only gotten 1 ticket but the radar was off wich got me nice 1900 dollar ticket and a trip to the booty house i say they work when you have them on duh.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

hahaha ws64life funny that u mention that, cause i have done that, i was speeding like a crazy bastard. i failed to see the hidden cop from a distance and only saw him when i was like 30 feet away from him on the high way, i was goin so fast that i passed him pretty quick and when i looked back i saw him get off the ditch to come get me so i drove faster till the high way had a curve and i couldnt see him then i got off the freeway. it was pretty exciting
Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

its just too easy to get away from cops in nj on the garden state parkway, there are sections on that are 4-5 lanes wide and i passed a cop doing 120 pacing behind a bmw m3, and my buddies 05 Roush mustang, im driving the god damn neon so of course i know he is gonna go after me, i got off the nearest exit and pulled into a car wash, washed my car, went on my way to cape may.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ha, just had a guy return a radar detector tonight becuase "he got a ticket". Apparently someone had told him that with a radar detector, he was guarenteed not to get a ticket (words from his mouth). Anyways I feel they can be good and bad. From the cops Ive talked to, NOT A GENERALIZATION, if they have you pulled over for speeding and see a radar detector its an automatic ticket in their book. I decided to pass and spend my money elsewhere
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by like the view?
its just too easy to get away from cops in nj on the garden state parkway, there are sections on that are 4-5 lanes wide and i passed a cop doing 120 pacing behind a bmw m3, and my buddies 05 Roush mustang, im driving the god damn neon so of course i know he is gonna go after me, i got off the nearest exit and pulled into a car wash, washed my car, went on my way to cape may.

Can't out run a radio...no matter how fast you go!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

cop radars arnt right all the time either because a rader sends out a wide bad so when it comes back to the cop its not alway your car most of the time when ppl get stoped its because the cop is profileing and in the words of ron whit profileing is wrong rader detectors do work i would say they reduce your chances by 50% its the othere 50% you have to worry about if i was buying one it would be the passport 8500 but either way your taking a gamble
Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

thats called instant on radar its relatively new and not all/many cop cars come with this type of radar (yet).
ive used radar detectors for years and i definatly think their worth it if for no other reason for the early warning in case your about to do something "not legal" plus i have tinted windows and it lets me know to roll my windows down if a cops around.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're nuts man. 9 out of 10 cops i see with radar have it always on. i pick them up from 2 miles away with my beltronics V955. all you have to do is have it save your *** once and it's paid for itself twice over, so how can you possibly say it's a waste of time? most cops are too lazy to hold their finger on the button and watch. most cops i see with radar are half asleep on a street corner. ZzZzZzZz.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're nuts man. 9 out of 10 cops i see with radar have it always on. i pick them up from 2 miles away with my beltronics V955. all you have to do is have it save your *** once and it's paid for itself twice over, so how can you possibly say it's a waste of time? most cops are too lazy to hold their finger on the button and watch. most cops i see with radar are half asleep on a street corner. ZzZzZzZz.
thats strange, we both live in jersey..or I used to and all of my friends had them, and the cops would always do the flashy thing, specially on rt 78 and rt 80
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats strange, we both live in jersey..or I used to and all of my friends had them, and the cops would always do the flashy thing, specially on rt 78 and rt 80
i'm in south jersey if that makes any difference. all around the egg harbor city/hammonton/mays landing/atco/marlton area, they always leave their radar on. once in a while i'll get a ring out of nowhere that'll instantly go away, but it's really 10% or less of the cops i see.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

or you can just not speed and and never have to worry about it
Old 10-31-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was a cop for almost 3 years and there was a saying that many police officers used. and that was

"The only thing a Radar dectector is good for is to let you know your about to get a ticket"

Radars can work if the radar is left in the running mode. But if it is Put in a mode where it is on but not emitting a beam then hit the clock butyon as soon as they see you its to late some refer to this method as "instant on" There are news types of radar coming out all the time. One new technology is Laser beam radar it emits one ray to a single moving object instead of a wide range picking up several moving objects.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my radar detector has saved me 15+ times...it goes off way before the cop can see me
Old 10-31-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

I used to think radars were a waste of money and only told you that you are about to get a ticket.......then I got a radar dectector and has saved my *** repeatedly. I don't understand how people don't realize that cops are radaring other cars, not only you, so when they do that your radar goes off and you slow down and don't get a ticket.
The only time you will be completely screwed is when your speeding down the highway without a car in sight, and a cop comes over the hill and radars you before you even know it is a cop. (happened to me, 110 in a 65)
Old 10-31-2006, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Best way to get out of a ticket is to only speed at night. They cant see your plates or your car very well. If your going faster then 120 they wont even try to chase.

Quick Reply: just bought a cobra esd 737 radar laser detector