General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Toe-Heel & Double Clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toe-Heel & Double Clutching?

I didnt know what section to post this in so i thought general would do fine. I'm still moderately new to driving (18 years old) and this is probably going to be a stupid question(s) to drivers of your forums' caliber, but is it alright if i toe & heel downshift with my right foot reversed?(heel on brake and toe on accelerator), or should i try to wrench it the other way?(my size 13 shoe doesnt do much good in the cramped pedal space) I've been getting used to toe and heel reversed and can do it without much body shudder.

Also on that note, should i be double-clutching while toe-heel downshifting or just when wanting to downshift? is double-clutching while toe-heeling just for sequential gearboxes? Im sorry for all these questions, but ive waited so long to ask someone, and my high school friends just shrug when i ask them.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

double clutching si reserved for cars without syncros and ricers.

I heel toe, but i basically have the left side of my right foot on the brake and just tip my other side of the foot to hit the accelerator to match rpms. I wear 13s as well, plus i'm 6'2" and 230-240lbs. Downshifting like that is only useful at the track and with how torquey the ls1 is, not usually needed. Where are you performing this? Just a question because the double clutching question usually comes from ricers thinking they are going fast. Not saying this is you, but something like heel toe is only good on a road course because the weight transfer could unsettle the car, sending you into a tree on a public road.

Last edited by BrandonDrecksage; 11-28-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Double clutching = Vin Diesel Special
T56 has sycros. Therefore, no need for the Vin Diesel Special
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this isn't fast and the furious.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah double clutching went out in the 1940's. And if you do do it, it takes much longer to shift. I know I once drove a Land Rover with no synchromesh about 25 miles, it was a PITA!!!!!

Heel and toe, do it what ever way you feel comfortable. It's not need most of the time, although the blip on the downshifts sounds cool. But yeah it's more about stability and rev matching which when cornering on the very edge of adhesion is much more important than driving to the local shops on a sunny afternoon.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
Where are you performing this?
I dont have access to a track, so i'm trying to learn these techniques in my daily drive when there is little traffic around.

I think i may have confused some people. I am NOT double clutching while upshifting, im not that new or ricer-cool, but when i downshift it seems to let the gears go together much easier, which is after i did it right for the first time i began to wonder. (it also appeared as the only way to get into 1st while moving more than 5mph) The Synchs are going out in my car (3rd gear mainly) so i was thinking at the time that this would prepare me for losing my synchs and having to drive it as a sequential.

so bottom line is... double clutching is useless, and i should stick to toe-heel when downshifting?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

double declutching can be useful if you have buggered synchro, but then learnging to shift without using the clutch at all can also be useful. Really though both techniques are of little practical use on the road- i have an old tractor that needs to be double declutched to change any gear, and 2 old series land rovers that have straight cut gears in both first and second- i like driving them but they are a pain in the ****!

If you can heal and toe then you really don't need anything else. I always heel and toe on every gear shift when i'm driving- it is a heck of a lot smoother, and improves your driving fluency and road useage. One of the first things i learnt on the track was to get setu pfor the corner right, and this transfers so well onto the road. If you are setup right for an approaching corner then you will drive so smoothly and make much better progress.

As a youngster i would highly recommend you learn someother very useful skills such as reading the vanishing point of a corner, and reading road furniture to see where the road goes. Also find an experienced and well trained driver and ask to drive with him for a while withyou doing a running commentary of what you are looking at and why- you will be amazed at what you miss! Again these skills help with fluency and speed whilst on the road!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duke_Z28
I dont have access to a track, so i'm trying to learn these techniques in my daily drive when there is little traffic around.

I think i may have confused some people. I am NOT double clutching while upshifting, im not that new or ricer-cool, but when i downshift it seems to let the gears go together much easier, which is after i did it right for the first time i began to wonder. (it also appeared as the only way to get into 1st while moving more than 5mph) The Synchs are going out in my car (3rd gear mainly) so i was thinking at the time that this would prepare me for losing my synchs and having to drive it as a sequential.

so bottom line is... double clutching is useless, and i should stick to toe-heel when downshifting?
a sequential ? Not having syncros won't make your gear box a sequential gear box.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont worry about practicing it and do what comes naturally.
when i was younger (like 15-16) i was trying to practice heel-toeing.. i never got it perfect...
later when i was daily driving motorcycles, it was natural to blip the throttle to match on the downshift.... sure enough, one day while i was driving in the car, someone pointed out to me that, while braking, i blip the throttle as i downshift to match RPMs.

if you're thinking about it, you're thinking too much. it should be natural.
btw, i have wide feet, and because of that, i dont "heel-toe".. i actually use the sides of my feet with my toes on the brake and my heel over the gas... i tilt my foot to blip the throttle...i donno how clear that is, but like i said, it doesnt matter. do whats comfortable to you.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
a sequential ? Not having syncros won't make your gear box a sequential gear box.
RIGHT!! Besides, the WHOLE point of a real (and uber-expensive) sequential box is to be able to shift WITHOUT ever using the clutch (with the possible exception of starting out in 1st, in some systems).
Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 PM
NKAWTG...N

Throw out the Fast and the Furious DVD and lay down the crack pipe. Unless your a truck driver with 18+ gears I never want to hear you say the phrase "double clutching" again.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^

Maybe it's just me, but I find heel-toeing on the f-body to be extremely cumbersome (13s) to the point where I feel as though I'm gonna snap my foot off.

-J
Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lastcall190

Maybe it's just me, but I find heel-toeing on the f-body to be extremely cumbersome (13s) to the point where I feel as though I'm gonna snap my foot off.

-J
Thats the same for me, i cant seem to wrench my foot over, thus the reason for the reversed footing

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Throw out the Fast and the Furious DVD and lay down the crack pipe. Unless your a truck driver with 18+ gears I never want to hear you say the phrase "double clutching" again.
why would i throw out such an amazingly realistic movie?

well, this is the reason i asked, seeing as all my friends have their sentras....MR2s....civics....and dont know much about real driving.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duke_Z28
why would i throw out such an amazingly realistic movie?

well, this is the reason i asked, seeing as all my friends have their sentras....MR2s....civics....and dont know much about real driving.
I guess having a 420a with t3/t4 turbo setup and a direct ported 100shot(stage 2 none-the-less) is damn realistic. Sad thing is, that thing probaly would be mid 12s tops LOL.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

If you do this on public roads I will have one more option for parts when I go to the junk yard. My advice is to drive "normally".
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
My advice is to drive "normally".
Normal? when i read on these forums i see people boasting on how they hit 160-ish in their cars as if thats what they do on their daily commute. The amounts of tickets i have gotten in my 3 years of driving = 0 . The fastest ive gone in my car is 82 mph on the highway and i was scared as hell that the cops were going to appear out of thin air and arrest me.

not trying to poke fun at you, but i thought that was funny

On a more serious note, a close call spinout on a highway ramp in my first 4 months of driving left me with a pretty good case of hindsight and throttle restraint, and i never do anything i dont have certainty i can perform. If i didn't I'd be dead by now probably.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
I guess having a 420a with t3/t4 turbo setup and a direct ported 100shot(stage 2 none-the-less) is damn realistic. Sad thing is, that thing probaly would be mid 12s tops LOL.
how do you know paul walker wasn't rocking a 4g63t?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Teching In

F bodies can be hard to heel toe, I've got a small foot and I almost slip off the pedals when I try to (I roll over the right side of my left foot). I also double clutch each one, it makes it easier to get into lower gears, especially first.
As much as everyone hate the double clutch upshift, it does theoretically save the synchros on higher mileage cars. I've got 160xxx on my daily, and I double clutch the upshifts to make sure my dying tranny doesn't actually die.

BTW, heel toeing attracts quite a bit of attention. I drove my friend's '00 SS with cutout off, and within 5 minutes, a cop pulled me over for doing 36 in a 30 (I got a warning).
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whamburglar
F bodies can be hard to heel toe, I've got a small foot and I almost slip off the pedals when I try to (I roll over the right side of my left foot). I also double clutch each one, it makes it easier to get into lower gears, especially first.
As much as everyone hate the double clutch upshift, it does theoretically save the synchros on higher mileage cars. I've got 160xxx on my daily, and I double clutch the upshifts to make sure my dying tranny doesn't actually die.

BTW, heel toeing attracts quite a bit of attention. I drove my friend's '00 SS with cutout off, and within 5 minutes, a cop pulled me over for doing 36 in a 30 (I got a warning).

i can see you're a newbie, so i'll make it short and simple.

this is a tech site.
dont talk over your head
dont try to bullshit.
dont talk like you have done things you have not done.

you may think you sound cool. or intelligent... but really, you come off as a idiot to those who DO know, or HAVE done it.. and you present a hazard to those that are trying to learn on the site from others.

think before you post. your post above is only a minor "heh, idiot." chuckle... but if you do it on something more technical in nature, you may be banned (or publicly ridiculed.. and that just clutters the board)