General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would I Regret It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I Regret It?

I read this thread a while back about people regret modding cars.I have had a 01 ws6 for 5 months now and it is stock.I have been thinking about a h/c swap.How reliable are ls1`s for a dd without being under the hood all the time fixing stuff after the swap?I would like to shoot for around 450 rwhp.Car has 53k and runs great.Will not be a strip car just street only.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pirhana
I read this thread a while back about people regret modding cars.I have had a 01 ws6 for 5 months now and it is stock.I have been thinking about a h/c swap.How reliable are ls1`s for a dd without being under the hood all the time fixing stuff after the swap?I would like to shoot for around 450 rwhp.Car has 53k and runs great.Will not be a strip car just street only.
I had the same concern with my car. I decided that I didn't want to do any internal engine work (for now) and instead focused on a complete suspension, exhaust, and things of that nature. I figured that it was already pretty fast and I would want it to handle better instead. I don't DD mine anymore and it only has 28K on it so I can always do engine work at a later time.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Teching In

it wont be a dd in the winter or even as soon as I get something else to drive to work
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Done correctly, it won't be any less reliable than a stock LS1. As long as you have speed in your blood like most of us, you won't regret it at all.

Word of caution though...Once you start, you won't stop modding.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
Done correctly, it won't be any less reliable than a stock LS1.
This is probably the most important part. "Done correctly".

You will find yourself regreting major mods if you:

- Get cheap with certain parts,

- Pick installers and/or tuners that don't know exactly what they're doing,

- Pick parts that don't work well together,

- Fail to properly research the mods/packages you pick,

- Fail to be honest with yourself about your goals and expectations for the car and mods.

Avoid these conditions and you should be fine.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Regret has different meanings for people. I regret spending so much money on n2o instead of putting a little more money into some nice AFR heads. Other people think their 15k miles car will bring in $100,000 5 years down the road when it's a dime a dozen car. Life is full of regret, you just look back and move on. I can tell you right now if you plan on putting down 450rwhp be ready to upgrade your clutch and rearend, possibly even tranny work.
These cars can be reliable, just depends on the owner. If you smash it at every stop sign, then it won't last as long as the guy who hardly races the car.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Teching In

it`s an a4,no I don`t drive like that all the time,only when needed
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets here
Old 04-05-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my setup.

Full boltons for civilized street driving. Nothing majorly drastic.

I also make plenty of power when I need it to catch up with the big boys with nitrous.

I think thats a pretty good reliable setup (if setup properly).
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

people run into regrets and problems when they skimp or decide to be cheap in the wrong areas.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F-body (as with any car) was designed from the ground up with certain parameters in mind. To keep things balanced and provide OEM drivability/reliability takes a lot of money.

You have a mean motor but you now need a mean tranny
You have a mean tranny and you need a mean rear end
You have mad speed and now need a suspension to keep things under control
Now you need brakes
Now you need...

See? It takes a lot to keep the car well-rounded. Going fast isnt an issue, handling isnt an issue, but keeping the car OEM rounded is the trick that makes the difference in your neighbors 500whp stoplight machine and a world-class car.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont regret anything. Just get annoyed once in a while. Even reputable shops dont always take the extra steps to make sure its done right.
Example #1: My I pipe is sitting less than a 1/4" from my DS tunnel. Sometimes it wont stop vibrating up against it and sounds like its dragging on the ground. At times it sounds like its bouncing off the DS itself.

Example#2: My tunnel mounted TA. I believe the top bolt on the pivoting part of it is installed backwards. It makes contact with my DS, which is evident by the ring being scratched in to it. It sits about a 1/4 inch away also.

This was a reputable shop which is a sponsor. If you have a driveway and can get at these things its not a problem. I live in a condo, and they go nuts if they see your car on jack stands. I would mod the hell out of it. These cars are reliable as long as you pick the right parts. Nothing on my car is stock and I would trust it to get me anywhere. As long as you can take the weird noises you get sometimes from aftermarket stuff, you will be fine.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

my car is very reliable and fun to drive, even with a cam and stock converter

my only regret is that i didnt by an m6 from the start.....but it'll be an m6 after this summer

Quick Reply: Would I Regret It?