General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is a lower temperature thermostat actually worth it?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a lower temperature thermostat actually worth it?

This has been something that has confused me to no end. A lower temp T-stat is a pretty popular mod, but is it actually beneficial? I have heard that a hotter running engine has a more efficient combustion event, so why would you want to run the engine cooler? Feel free to be extremely technical in the answer, because that is the kind of answer I am looking for.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

http://home.alltel.net/mcfly/tstat.htm A lower running thermostat supposively will allow for a cooler more dense charge of air to enter the engine.Because of the decreased heat the head and block are running at.However,one thing that can boggle the mind is...higher combustion temperature results in more complete combustion and less emissions produced.When you have complete combustion an engine is more efficient and will produce more HP.I think the best idea is if you are going to go cooler be careful.Lower temperatures can create worse gas mileage,higher emissions,and more internal parts wear.This might help you also.....
http://home.alltel.net/mcfly/tstat.htm
Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe you just want to find that happy medium. You want the engine running at a high temp with the air coming in at a very low temp. Whether or not the low temp. thermostat gives you an advantage will probably be debated for a long time.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Launching!

in its most simple form the colder stat dosnt add alot of power to a stock motor but i guess you might see a few poneys! this is because colder air is denser making more power. it is also more consistent ( so ive heard) lot of people do it to reduce detonation on modded motor!! it helps alot in that!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yes,I believe you are correct.Check out the link...it gets more technical than I possibly can.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just run stock the stock temp.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Meziere tech advised me not go lower than a 180 degree thermostat , any lower will result in a rich condition according to them .
Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

That also is true.Modern computerized vehicles(OBDII)have a coolant temperature sensor.When your engine is cold it will send a signal to the computer to enrich the air/fuel mixture.Installing a lower temp t-stat can result in a vehicle running too rich.That is what the hypertech and crane cams power tuners are for though.It allows you to install a lower temp thermostat without the engine running too rich and or throwing a DTC(diagnostic trouble code).Here is some additional information:Rich(too much fuel)=more emissions,more carbon build up,but cooler running combustion temps.Lean(Too much air)=less emissions,more complete combustion,greater chance of detonation,hotter running combustion temps,and possible chance of burning valves.The idea of performance is to stuff the engine with as much fuel and oxygen(air)as possible without going too rich or too lean.Probably the biggest cause of running lean on a performance engine is something we love.That thing is the squeeze(Nitrous).The reason why it can cause an engine to literally destroy itself,is it adds so much Oxygen to the engine that it drives the vehicle lean.This excessive lean condition results in burned parts and detonation which causes parts to break.These results are the reason why we use higher flowing fuel pumps and injectors.

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 04-07-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ls1s run better under warmer conditions. im still running my stock thermostat.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Launching!

I don't plan on running a lower temp t-stat, but I was just wondering about the logic behind this. I have heard the computer plays with the air/fuel ratio with an lower t-stat, but what if the engine isn't computer controlled? That negates the problems that might come up with the computer, but would there be a benefit beside it? I was always inclined to believe it was more of an old school thing people did with questionable results at best. How much cooler is your intake charge really if the engine is running 30 degrees cooler? I can't see it affecting air density that much.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Lower temp t-stat might be advised for a very high compression motor, or forced induction applications. Otherwise, it is worthless for an LS1.

Stick with the stock stat and modify fan on/off temps to maintain coolant temps in the 195-205 range. IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a lower temperature thermostat actually worth it?