General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Automotive Books

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automotive Books

Basically, I don't know as much about cars/engines as I wish I did. I have very basic knowledge and even that is exaggerating on some things. I would like to pick up some books to further my knowledge about cars and especially the LS1 engine if possible. Any suggestions? I ordered one from Amazon for LS1 performance just for a good read but I have a feeling it won't go as in-depth in explaining the basics of engines/drivetrains and how they work.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

I know I have a lot of automotive knowledge,but I am never satisfied.The best way to learn is first hand experience,reading text books,and time.The best automotive text book out right now is Automotive Technology by Jack Erjavec.It is about 1300 pages long,and is very informative and in-depth.If there is one book you should buy this is the one.Search for it on Amazon or Ebay.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First hand experience is definately what I want but unfortunately, that's not always an option. I can't afford to have my car down because it's my DD so I can't just start tearing the engine apart or anything.

Is this the one? Automotive Technology

Or this one? Automotive Technology

It seems like the second might be what I'm looking for.

Okay, it seems the first one is just the newest (4th) Edition and the second is the 3rd Edition. Would I really be missing a lot by picking up a previous edition? The 3rd Edition can be had for real cheap on half.com

Last edited by Kalgorn; 04-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, I caved and picked up the 3rd Edition from Half.com for like $13 shipped and it has the CD included. Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't even thought about getting a textbook!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Websites like this and how stuff works help. I joined this site a few weeks ago, and I know WAY more now than I did before I came here. And I still hardly know anything about engines.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Your welcome,I have the first one you linked and I am very satisfied with it.You can get a wealth of knowledge from a textbook.I have not read the earlier one you bought but I am sure it will be almost as good.If you are a dedicated reader and can retain the information you will be overwhelmed with knowledge after reading.

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 04-22-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have checked auto.howstuffworks.com and gone through some stuff there but it doesn't quite go as in-depth as I wish it would which is why I'm looking for something else.

Thanks for the encouraging words on the book. I can't wait to get it. It will give me something to do at night when I'm bored and hopefully I'll learn a thing or two.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have posted GREAT books that will give you good, broad knowledge on the internal combustion engine. I will pull it up and post the link in here. I believe Shiner made it a sticky in this section. Let me check.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Found the link!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/658928-bigbronco-s-must-have-ls1-book-list.html

Enjoy

A lot of those books supply good information. A couple of things are outdated on some of them, but they will get you in the ballpark.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks. I already ordered one of them about LS1 performance and it should hopefully be here tomorrow. I appreciate all the ideas.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

You sound very interested in learning about cars and technology.Stay dedicated and in time with that enthusiasm you will become very knowledgeable within a few years.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, lovescamaros28. That gives me a lot of encouragement! I don't ever see myself making a career out of it since I never went to school for it but it's something I love to do and being knowledgeable in something never hurt anyone. Plus, it saves a lot of money being able to repair a car yourself.

There's just something about working on a car that is relaxing... that's one of the reasons I didn't like the '06 Silverado I bought new with 9 miles on it. Nothing breaks... and if it does it's under warrenty. Boring. I don't want a car that makes me question its reliability but I like to be under the hood for a couple hours to fix something when it goes wrong.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

old thread. but yeah theirs nothing more relaxing than laying on concrete for a few hours working on a car. really gets your mind off things.

You might want to pick up some magazines too, gm high tech is a real good ones with tons of info on ls series engines. also hot rod car crafters and popular hot roding