General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

02 Trans am or 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Wrong. Ask me how I know.

Not even close...wrong again.
wow, seriously why don't you just post it and stop waiting for someone to ask you to grow the ego.

03 Cobras as nice cars, I have a lot of friends stationed with me that have em they pull some great numbers. If you are doing track stuff, then by all means get the Cobra. If you want something that stands out a little, get something that you don't see every single day when you go to the mall. Yes I know the Cobra is "different looking" than the GT, but just the argument i get with the ???? guys on base...you still are driving a neon and with a Cobra you still are driving a mustang.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1

a SS and WS6 may be same performance wise, but i dont see it nearly as desirable.... maybe i'm just biased as a much more of a Chevy guy.

but then again if there was a major production model of a camaro above the SS then that would probably be what everybody wanted and not as many SS's
Well considering that GM owns both Chevy and Pontiac you should be pretty open minded to both of those, and i definetly see way more camaros period, but SS's then a WS6. but its just my .o2
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I find it funny that we have been bitching about a Mustang on this Camaro/Firebird forum for this long! Get over it, there is always someone faster, louder, cleaner, newer, whatever..... Yes, lots of people spread incorrect information, that's just what happens on the internet. If you want to know the differences, go out and drive both cars, then buy the one that makes you happy. Otherwise, shut your traps and go drive whatever is in your driveway.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I currently own both an SS and a Cobra, if I had to pick a favorite it would be the Cobra.

If money is not an issue, the Cobra is the way to go. Great performance foundation with cheap mod potentials. A ford racing UPGRADE whipple is half what a s/c kit would cost for the SS. And the Cobra comes with a built Iron block, Manley H-beam rods, forged pistons and the best 32v heads Ford put on a 4.6. (does anyone notice that theres no AFR, trick flow, edelbrock etc. replacement heads for these cars?)

For peace of mind, if you plan on F/I the Cobra is the way to go.

But if it is a daily driver, I will say that the SS is a little easier to drive. It has a softer clutch (hydraulic) and the ride is a bit softer.

Apples to Oranges
Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

I love Terminator Cobras, they make my mouth water. But, I love my SS more than anything in the world. Yes, Cobras are faster stock for stock, and have sick potential. But, LS1s are amazing engines and we all know how easy it is to make them a lot faster! Like said above, apples and oranges!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fair enough 1meantransam... I'm not tryin to put down the WS6, I'm just sayin around me they are a lot more common, but I would agree that I see 100 times more Camaros and Z28's as Firebirds and T/A's. But when it comes down to SS and WS6 I see way more WS6's. Just my .02
Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

fair enough 1meantransam... I'm not tryin to put down the WS6, I'm just sayin around me they are a lot more common, but I would agree that I see 100 times more Camaros and Z28's as Firebirds and T/A's. But when it comes down to SS and WS6 I see way more WS6's. Just my .02
yeah i gotcha i was just saying in general, so you're going to buy that SS you were talking about or no?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep. Same in this area.

Everyone will have personal choices. Go to a mustang forum and ask them Cobra or T/A and see the responses there. If you have the money and it's what you like, then by all means drive the faster car.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Wha...wha...what????

Put the pipe down please sir.
......Unit...you crack me up.

Just to make my opinion known......a Trans Am does look mean. But so does the Cobra. Especially when you look in your mirrior and see one coming up on you like a shark!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Yep...I do considering that I have one. I've also had a LS1 so I have
a pretty good understanding of them too.

You guys are the ones telling us about how Cobras are basically
Mach 1's and GT's. I'm waiting for someone with a clue to chime
in and post at least one thing that's accurate.

Again, I suspect that the 1st person that has run faster than 12's
will know.

Guys, ...again...I'm not a Ford man...but Unit is correct in what he says. He's not biased, he's for real.

I run an 11.78 in my 02 Z28 with all my mods and a shot of Juice. And I can attest that even running in the 11's, I still get my *** handed to me by a local with a Nice 2003 Cobra with a KB Blower. So....I keep modding just to be able to keep up with the Cobra's
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I assume money is not a huge factor here to the OP, but be prepared to get your *** handed to you by your insurance company if you are under 25
Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Ford 32V heads flow pretty damn good...but they need to because thats where the power comes from instead of displacement. So thats a benefit no need to get heads...but I wasn't thinking of heavy modding when I bought mine and I was in for a huge shock when I priced FRPP and SHM cams for the Cobra. DAAMMNN....hell you could do heads and cam on an LS1 for the price of cams for a Cobra.

Plus they could put a KB blower on a lawnmower and the thing would make 500 RWHP! Has anyone ever see the dyno #'s advertised for the KB for a LS1? They make stupid power w/o alot of boost.

There will always be someone faster, just buy the car you want. I could have bought a 600 RWHP 5.0 stroker 03 Cobra from a friend instead of my Vette. But in the end I just liked the Vette more....
Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Guys, ...again...I'm not a Ford man...but Unit is correct in what he says. He's not biased, he's for real.

I run an 11.78 in my 02 Z28 with all my mods and a shot of Juice. And I can attest that even running in the 11's, I still get my *** handed to me by a local with a Nice 2003 Cobra with a KB Blower. So....I keep modding just to be able to keep up with the Cobra's

All this B/S aside, few people on this forum have correct info to share. I am amazed at your honesty TW. This is what forums are for, exchange of CORRECT info. I miss my SS like crazy and in ANY conversation speak about LS1's above all b/c of the easy price of admission and modability. You cant underestimate any car with 600+rwhp if you only have 400 though, which seems to be the norm here.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
All this B/S aside, few people on this forum have correct info to share. I am amazed at your honesty TW. This is what forums are for, exchange of CORRECT info. I miss my SS like crazy and in ANY conversation speak about LS1's above all b/c of the easy price of admission and modability. You cant underestimate any car with 600+rwhp if you only have 400 though, which seems to be the norm here.
Thanx Sir. What good is information if there is no honesty behind it? I have no problem that I hate loosing to a damn Cobra......that's what makes me wnat one...lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

My WS6 was totalled a few months ago and I got a check for $24k. I could have bought an 03/04 cobra (similar condition to this: COBRA ) or a 4th gen f-body.
I chose a fully loaded Z28 for $14k & now I have extra money left over.
My buddy has a cobra that makes 520rwhp & it sounds good and is fast & all but the looks just aren't for me. I think the 4th gens look better and are definitely more comfortable & roomier on the inside.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 560SL
Wow, all of these people trying to get that much for Cobras are idiots. They could be had for $29k out the door brand new in '04 with all of the discounts and rebates.
i saw $27.8 new in '04

I watch the same cars stay up for sale for MONTHS at those prices. Cobra owners need to understand that their car is NOT the next Supra...Mustangs depreciate just like F-bodies and it's only a matter of time before the Cobras take a big hit in value.
WRONG. Cobras holds their value better. look at the '93 Cobras and their ridiculous prices. all the Cobras are holding their values better than Fbodies.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to agree Cobra's hold there value alot better than F-bodies and like Vette's alot of times they tend to hold some of the value of the mods done to them if done right. I had people beating down my door to pay almost $7k over what my dealer would have gave me on trade in. Even the Terminators which were not as limited production as earlier Cobra's hold there value alot better than F-bodies. Which isn't bad it justs makes F-bodies that much more of a performance bargain. And keep in mind I am not talking about cars like 97 LT-4 SS's or Firehawks.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And one thing yes Cobra's are built to take alot of boost but Cobra engines fail just like any other engine. And the more boost you run the easier it is to fail. Some get a false sense of security because of the engines internals but they are put together by humans and made of metal so they break. So do the supposed 1,000 RWHP on stock internal Supra engines.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skunk50
i saw $27.8 new in '04

WRONG. Cobras holds their value better. look at the '93 Cobras and their ridiculous prices. all the Cobras are holding their values better than Fbodies.
looks like you skipped every posting in this thread, but hey at least you dont write as much as 560 and still be wrong, you're wrong in a sentence rather then a story
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Damn, a lot of misinformation and ignorance in this thread towards 03-04 Cobras. But Unit, JayplaySS2 and a few others have done a good job at exposing and correcting it.

OP, continue to learn more about Cobras before you take some of these opinions into consideration and make a final decision to buy one. As I've said in other threads about 03-04 Cobras, you really develop an appreciation for these cars when you learn more about them and know what they're capable of. I wasn't as big of a car enthusiast now as I was before I had my Cobra. In my honest opinion, get the car that appeals to you most, and that will perform to meet the expectations of how fast you want to go.

Quick Reply: 02 Trans am or 03 Cobra