General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car salesmen...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car salesmen...

I had some extra time on my hands today, So I decided to go out and look for some Camaros and Trans Ams at some car dealerships. I found a very nice 2002 35 anniversary Camaro SS for $22000. I know a good amount of details about F-Bodies, So he wasnt going to fool me with the facts on them. I was looking at the car and asked him if he could start it up and pop the hood. While he was getting in, he said "This car has a corvette engine in it". Just to get a feel for what kind of guy I was dealing with, I started to act like I didnt know a single thing about them. I said to him "Did they swap the engine right out of the corvette?". He then told me "Yeah".

That was not what I was expecting to hear from him. I then said "Are you sure about that?". He then replied, "How else would they get the motor in there?".. At this point I was mad because I knew he was lying to me and was only trying to sell the car. I then said to him.. "Do you think im an idiot". The salesmen said "What are you talking about". I said "It a stock friggen car.. There was no engine swap, Thats how it came from the factory!".. I shut him up pretty quickly. I then said to him.. "You just lost yourself a sale.. If everything would have checked out, I probibly would have bought the car from you!". He then said "But it is a corvette engine though!". I said back to him "your right, but you knew nobody swapped the engine into it". I was pretty pissed because I dont like when people try to decieve me.. I then said "Good luck staying in business lying to potential customers". He appoligised only because he knew I caught him. I didnt care though. I got into my car and spun my tires out of his lot and into the road. I will never go there again because of his approach to selling cars. He knew that the engine was not swapped out and was the stock engine. Why else would he have appoligised.. he knew I caught him..

It was too bad because it looked like a nice car. I just thought to my self... If this is how hes approaching me on selling the car, what kind of service am I going to get from him after I buy it? OOOhhh well, theres pleanty of other Camaros out there for sale.

Has this ever happend to anyone else...?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Default salesman

sad thing maybe he didnt know that it wasnt a corvette engine, some salesmen aerent that knowledgeable about cars, hes prolly just repeating what someone else told him
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate car salesmen as much as the next guy, but some of them just don't know much about the cars they sell (especially used cars). It's hard to say( because I wasn't there), but he may have been repeating what someone else told him. Just hope that you didn't overreact a little bit just because some jag actually thought that they physically take an engine from a 'Vette and swap it into a camaro.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ehh he knew, when something like that comes on the lot people talk, he probably didnt know alot about it but sounds like you caught him. This has happened to me too with stealership salesmen. You should go back tomorrow and demand some crazy deal and see if they bite. LOL good call out. that is awesome.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well Chevy did essentially, as you know, put the corvette engine in the camaro. The guy just might not know exactly what he was talking about. Now if you took the car out and the guy said its been all checked out and service has been done then suddenly you notice a lot of belt noise and then pop the hood when you get back to see a filthy engine and oil as black as tar, then theres a problem. Happened to me. I never went back to that dealership.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

where the car at im lookinfor a low mile ss 35th?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro9495
I had some extra time on my hands today, So I decided to go out and look for some Camaros and Trans Ams at some car dealerships. I found a very nice 2002 35 anniversary Camaro SS for $22000. I know a good amount of details about F-Bodies, So he wasnt going to fool me with the facts on them. I was looking at the car and asked him if he could start it up and pop the hood. While he was getting in, he said "This car has a corvette engine in it". Just to get a feel for what kind of guy I was dealing with, I started to act like I didnt know a single thing about them. I said to him "Did they swap the engine right out of the corvette?". He then told me "Yeah".

That was not what I was expecting to hear from him. I then said "Are you sure about that?". He then replied, "How else would they get the motor in there?".. At this point I was mad because I knew he was lying to me and was only trying to sell the car. I then said to him.. "Do you think im an idiot". The salesmen said "What are you talking about". I said "It a stock friggen car.. There was no engine swap, Thats how it came from the factory!".. I shut him up pretty quickly. I then said to him.. "You just lost yourself a sale.. If everything would have checked out, I probibly would have bought the car from you!". He then said "But it is a corvette engine though!". I said back to him "your right, but you knew nobody swapped the engine into it". I was pretty pissed because I dont like when people try to decieve me.. I then said "Good luck staying in business lying to potential customers". He appoligised only because he knew I caught him. I didnt care though. I got into my car and spun my tires out of his lot and into the road. I will never go there again because of his approach to selling cars. He knew that the engine was not swapped out and was the stock engine. Why else would he have appoligised.. he knew I caught him..
Sounds like you're a bigger ******* idiot then him.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Sounds like you're a bigger ******* idiot then him.
Please explain to me how you came to that conclusion.. I'm very interested in hearing your explanation on this.

Am I an idiot for knowing that I was being lied too? or was it because I caught him while he was doing it? Or... was it because I dont want to deal with a car dealership that lies to me?

I dont know about you.. But I dont like being taken advantage of.. or lied too...

Last edited by Camaro9495; 08-20-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

I've looked at 98-02 Camaro Z28's with the coveted "LT1" motor Sometimes it's a misprint or just lack of knowledge. I usually don't listen to half the BS car salesmen throw at me. I usually know exactly what I'm looking at though
Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

So you didn't buy the car because the salesman said it had a corvette engine? He didn't technically lie to you, the engine is the same one in the corvette depends on which though.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

I should also probibly add in that he had those corvette engine cover things on there.. And thats why I asked him if he got this engine out of a corvette. This is a picture of my friends Camaro which his engine has those corevette things on there.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Yeah, i've seen alot of 98-02 F-bodies with "LT1's" in them. Just have to laugh and go on. Not EVERYONE in the world knows that the LS1 is in f-bodies, corvettes, and gto's. Give 'em a break, the salesman is just tryin to sell a car....I met a pretty cool salesman when I was lookin at an 02 SS. He didn't know to much about it, but he knew a little bit about Mustangs. He said he had one at home with all this stuff on it....and I didn't know about all the stuff he was talkin about....but that doesnt make me ignorent about all cars though.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

the salesman I bought my ta from said this, "I don't know **** about this car", but can we make a deal on it, i own that car now.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned

Please explain to me how you came to that conclusion.. I'm very interested in hearing your explanation on this.

Am I an idiot for knowing that I was being lied too? or was it because I caught him while he was doing it? Or... was it because I dont want to deal with a car dealership that lies to me?

I dont know about you.. But I dont like being taken advantage of.. or lied too...
Maybe because the car salesmen was right? Not sure about all of the other 35th anniv SS's, but mine has an LS1 identical to that in any other base model Corvette, just minus the plastic beauty covers.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

the ones i talk to go "LTwhat? LSwhat?"

i just laugh in my head.

some do know about these cars because they look up to them.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I would have said driving like an idiot out of the lot would have made you look like a dumbass. Calling him out on it (if you were really interested in the car) and then talking to him like that. He is just doing his job.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Maybe because the car salesmen was right? Not sure about all of the other 35th anniv SS's, but mine has an LS1 identical to that in any other base model Corvette, just minus the plastic beauty covers.
I specifically asked him... "DID THEY SWAP THIS OUT OF A CORVETTE!".. and he said "YES". I know that they have the same engines as corvettes do. And if your not sure about it.. which I knew he was lying to me because he had 2 other Z28s on the lot and this was not the first that he has ever seen, then dont just throw out an answer.. Ask someone. But I knew he was lying though, and thats what made me mad.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

I specifically asked him... "DID THEY SWAP THIS OUT OF A CORVETTE!".. and he said "YES". I know that they have the same engines as corvettes do. And if your not sure about it.. which I knew he was lying to me because he had 2 other Z28s on the lot and this was not the first that he has ever seen, then dont just throw out an answer.. Ask someone. But I knew he was lying though, and thats what made me mad.
WTF? He was right. They quite literally did swap it from the Corvette, to the Camaro. They redesigned some minor parts that needed to be, but the engine and everything influencing power output is the same. He wasn't lying to you. For all practical purposes, the engines are the same. There is no part on either that will affect how one performs over the other.

You act as if he doesn't know what he's talking about. And maybe he doesn't. But the one circumstance you gave us, he was factually correct on. You're the idiot here.

He said, "This car has a corvette engine in it." What is incorrect about that statement? Because my 35th Anniv SS has a Corvette engine in it. And Jon Does' 99 Z28 has a Corvette engine in it.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zak Attack
I would have said driving like an idiot out of the lot would have made you look like a dumbass. Calling him out on it (if you were really interested in the car) and then talking to him like that. He is just doing his job.
Yes, Your right, I am an idiot for driving out of the lot like that. It wasnt the right thing to do, but at the time I was pretty mad.

You can usually tell when people are lying to you. And I could tell he was. And if he really didnt know about the car, then he should have asked someone else. But... take a second to think about this.. If he knew this engine was also the same as in some of the vettes... Then he has to know his LS1s when he sees them and know that they were also in the 98-02 Camaros, especially when theres 2 other Z28s on him lot with LS1s.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

Yes, Your right, I am an idiot for driving out of the lot like that. It wasnt the right thing to do, but at the time I was pretty mad.

You can usually tell when people are lying to you. And I could tell he was. And if he really didnt know about the car, then he should have asked someone else. But... take a second to think about this.. If he knew this engine was also the same as in some of the vettes... Then he has to know his LS1s when he sees them and know that they were also in the 98-02 Camaros, especially when theres 2 other Z28s on him lot with LS1s.
Mad about what? HE DIDN'T LIE TO YOU.

So he comes on LS1Tech and asks, "Does a 35th anniv SS have the same engine as a Corvette in it?" We all say yes, because they do. Or he asks someone else who knows, WTF DOES IT MATTER? The engines are the same. You didn't ask him about the Z28s, so WTF does that have to do with anything? I guarantee you he doesn't give a f*ck about the $10,000 Z28 when you're looking at the $22,000 SS. He wants to make commission off a $22,000 car, not a $10,000 car. That isn't lying to you. That's you being a moron.