General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Interesting idea about all these stolen cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting idea about all these stolen cars

Hey guys I have been reading about all of these cars on here that are getting stolen on a regular basis. And its really hitting home for me because I am down South about a hour from New Orleans and Foley, AL. Do you guys think that there are people browsing our threads everyday and reading post that we make ... Getting ideas and things like that!!??

Also, I mean really there are lots of cars stolen everyday in this country but we are really worrying about these couple out of the thousands of Camaro's that are out there. I am scared now and I believe that my first mod on my new Camaro will be a really good thief system. we need to make headway against this shyt. Its got to stop.. If anyone finds a really good alarm..Lets let everyone know about it!!!

Thanks for your time
Landon
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my factory alarm is awesome, and would be impossible to steal.

Only way to get it away is a flatbed, if you can get into the locked garage I keep it in, which isn't even at my own house. I have 0 worries of my car going anywhere.

BTW the factory alarm says "Loctronics" on it.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no alarm or security system has been created yet that cannot be defeated....sure there are some that are so difficult that it would take a conspiracy of massive proportions to overcome, but such a system is not likely to be installed or employed on the majority of the cars on this site.....they're just not worth the price of such a system.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
no alarm or security system has been created yet that cannot be defeated....sure there are some that are so difficult that it would take a conspiracy of massive proportions to overcome, but such a system is not likely to be installed or employed on the majority of the cars on this site.....they're just not worth the price of such a system.
right, but having an alarm that disables your ignition and fuel pump helps drastically.

also where you keep it helps

if i kept my car on the street i would prolly worry about it a bit more.

between alarm and location, you would need to organize and execute a VERY good plan to get to my car, and then get away with my car.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Teching In

so i'm assuming that the factory alarm doesn't do much? Either way, i'll be upgrading soon.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've never heard of any systems that'll prevent theft altogether. They simply make it more difficult to steal.

Let's face it guys, whoever wants your car will eventually take it. Unless it's a crackhead trying to score a quick buck, these guys will usually stake your car out for some time to see what they are dealing with.

The only thing we can do is protect ourselves with good insurance coverage and hope that it doesn't happen to any of us.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LivingSuccess1
so i'm assuming that the factory alarm doesn't do much? Either way, i'll be upgrading soon.
The factory alarm doesn't do **** but honk the horn. I've opened the door sometimes, and the horn won't go off right away.

The best thing you could do is get a system with a pager. At least you'll know when something is going on. Works for me so far, unless I'm out of town, or a couple of miles down the road.

Even Lo-jack has its good and bad. Your car won't actually get hit with the signal until you report it stolen. If this happens overnight, your car can be in a thousand pieces by the morning you report it.

Last edited by SS#2906; 11-09-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS#2906
The best thing you could do is get a system with a pager. At least you'll know when something is going on. Works for me so far, unless I'm out of town, or a couple of miles down the road.
this is true, i love my paging alarm...it's informed me immediately when i had my car messed with before.

Even Lo-jack has its good and bad. You're car won't actually get hit with the signal until you report it stolen. If this happens overnight, your car can be in a thousand pieces by the morning you report it.
this is also true, but at the same time, the cops will be able to locate at least parts of the car, and can stakeout those areas for repeat offenses.

and then a paging alarm combined with lo-jack is a pretty formidable defense, as long as you're within range of the car when the alarm goes off. even if you can't get to the car in time to stop them yourself, you will know that it has been stolen, and can have the cops out looking for it in minutes (assuming they have lo-jack trackers in their cars wherever your live)....your chances of recovering the car and catching the thieves goes up by a lot.

then add to that a very hidden ignition and/or fuel pump kill switch (or switches), and you're making life for the theives even that much more difficult.

i'm not sure if it exists yet or not, but it would be great if there was a "passive" option to a paging alarm as well....it would not require that a shock sensor be triggered in order to set off the alarm....you could have it set so that the pager and the alarm are constantly in communication with each other, and if they stop communicating because they are out of range of each other (such as if the car is loaded onto a flatbed and hauled away), the pager itself would still sound an alert, letting you know that something is wrong. it would obviously need to be able to be separately disabled while leaving the main alarm active, such as if you are not at home and you go out of range of the car intentionally, but then would still be automatically re-enabled the next time you arm/disarm the main alarm.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is also true, but at the same time, the cops will be able to locate at least parts of the car, and can stakeout those areas for repeat offenses..
This would be one of the bad parts about lo-jack. Would you really want your car back after it's been violated or worse, torn apart?

and then a paging alarm combined with lo-jack is a pretty formidable defense, as long as you're within range of the car when the alarm goes off. even if you can't get to the car in time to stop them yourself, you will know that it has been stolen, and can have the cops out looking for it in minutes (assuming they have lo-jack trackers in their cars wherever your live)....your chances of recovering the car and catching the thieves goes up by a lot.
I couldn't agree with you more.

As far as the fuel and ignition killswitches, I don't think these exist yet, at least not without having to manually flip a switch from inside the car. But there are precautions you can take. Pulling the fuel pump and ignition relays can be very usefull, but useless against the ultimate car theft device "THE FLATBED"
Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

This would be one of the bad parts about lo-jack. Would you really want your car back after it's been violated or worse, torn apart?
i wouldn't be worried about getting it back once it was all torn apart....i'd be more concerned with finding the piece of **** that did it

As far as the fuel and ignition killswitches, I don't think these exist yet, at least not without having to manually flip a switch from inside the car. But there are precautions you can take. Pulling the fuel pump and ignition relays can be very usefull, but useless against the ultimate car theft device "THE FLATBED"
yep, they do....my alarm has either an ignition or fuel pump killswitch, so that when the alarm is activated, the car won't start
Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Shultz, I thought the same thing about the factory alarm until mine was stolen in the middle of the afternoon in broad daylight in a crowded hospital parking lot in a good part of town. No room for a flatbed to maneuver, plus the parking lot camera would have shown that. If they get your VIN number and want your car it's as good as gone unless you take some aftermarket precautions. I'm getting lo-jack on my next one. BTW I am in the south too, seems to be a huge ring in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area. Andy
Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or you could go the least expensive route - a GPS phone with a battery capable of a couple day charge (if a new battery is charged and not used at all it could last upwards of a week). So voila. Not only do you have to worry about if the cops have the Lo jack capablity but they can also work with cell phone receveiers anywhere to trianglate or find exact postion of that phone. When i used to drive for one of my employers (company van) we used a cell phone to track our postions.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could just be like me and when they crank it and hear the hellacious rod knock they will prob leave it alone actually ..
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Or This Country Could Be Harsher With Theives And This Problem Would Drop Drastically. I Know This Becuase I File There Paperwork Here At The Courthouse And The Outcome Of The Cases Is Just Flat Out Ridiculous, Then They Wonder Why These People Are "habitual Offenders"

If There Is One Thing That I Gets Under My Skin, Is When Someone Goes Out And Makes A Honest Hard Earned Living, And Some Shmuck Who Sits On His/her *** All Day Goes And Jacks There Belongings Or Vandalizes Etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know It seems that the cars that are being stolen around here and new orleans are cars with mods done..Turbo built motor etc.. There are illegal street races going on every weekend around the orleans area. I think the thieves are out there watching and or stealing the cars that beat them and take there money.. I try to stay away from the street racing for money thing. That is most likely what is going on!!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Ya And If You Go Around Town Showing Off And Putting Body Kits Etc ( Making Your Car Stand Out For Attention) Then Guess What, Your Gonna Get Attention, Maybe More Then You Wanted.

Thats Why I Like Performance, Do Rims And A Hood Or Whatever, But Build The Motor..what Are They Gonna Do Steal Rims Or Your Cam? Lmao
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

TOTALLY DISAGREE.......This was my wife's car......never been raced on the track or street.....Only a few *** kickings given to some Mustangs and a few ricers at red lights. all that was done was pro-kit as far as outward appearance, and that was only to go along with the suspension mods for handling. I had several nice performance mods, but no stupid looking body kit, that is for juveniles who wear their pants low and a sideways hat. I am very low key, and the car was still stolen. As stated previously, if your car is targeted, kiss it goodbye unless you have some aftermarket protection. The stock alarm is worthless.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps in your instant - However i do disagree with "if you car is targeted give up" thats the last thing you want to do. There are many preventive techniqes you could use, Im sorry for your unfortanite (sp) event but i never had an issue with theft or damage to my vehicals. It really depends on the area you live in. My area is fairly quiet. The stock alarm has worked for me in the past (not a serious event just my keypad stopped working and my alarm engaged and using the key set it off.)
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

jgfikh.;ju/'

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-01-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by snake hunter
TOTALLY DISAGREE.......This was my wife's car......never been raced on the track or street.....Only a few *** kickings given to some Mustangs and a few ricers at red lights. all that was done was pro-kit as far as outward appearance, and that was only to go along with the suspension mods for handling. I had several nice performance mods, but no stupid looking body kit, that is for juveniles who wear their pants low and a sideways hat. I am very low key, and the car was still stolen. As stated previously, if your car is targeted, kiss it goodbye unless you have some aftermarket protection. The stock alarm is worthless.
the sons of bitches that stole your car HAD to had keys made for it.. so that means they were stalking you and checking you car out for a while.. That is really the only explanation to why your car was jacked so quickly.. I am so sorry everything happened..what is the insurance saying? Im very close to you too and I have become so paranoid about all this lately