General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Bought a garage queen... do I mod or keep stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bought a garage queen... do I mod or keep stock?

I bought an LS1 car so that I would have a strong motor to go with heads/cam/etc. to run in the 10s.... Did I buy too nice of a car?

2000 Camaro SS, NBM, M6, all options, 14k miles, virgin garage queen bone stock...

My question is, do I keep this car bone stock and keep the miles off of it or do I sell it and buy a higher mileage car for less and do all the mods I want to do....

Thanks guys...

Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful car man congrats on the buy.

If you have the money to buy another and mod it i say why not, but nothing wrong with modding the one you already have
Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
beautiful car man congrats on the buy.

If you have the money to buy another and mod it i say why not, but nothing wrong with modding the one you already have
Thanks for the comment....

I don't have the room for another car.... so, I'm stuck man. I want to make this car much faster... but it's almost too nice... you know?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Thanks for the comment....

I don't have the room for another car.... so, I'm stuck man. I want to make this car much faster... but it's almost too nice... you know?
i nkow but she will be alright, my boys car is in damn near show condition and he modded her up. she'll look that much bettter goin down the 1320
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i personally wouldnt want to mod out a 14k mile SS
I woulda bought a driver for that
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 PM
NKAWTG...N

Well...if you want a race car. You can buy old high mileage ones for alot cheaper and put that money towards more mods...so really if u can afford to mod that one then sure, do it. But if funds are tight sell it and buy an older one for much less and enjoy the extra $.

But my Camaro (in sig) only has 7k miles on it. So really it doesn't matter. Do what YOU want!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can do all the bolt ons (longtubes headers, ORY-keep the stock cb, pulley, LS6 intake) and a tune without being to harsh on the car. Springs/Shocks/panhard bar, relo. brackets should be in the list.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Well...if you want a race car. You can buy old high mileage ones for alot cheaper and put that money towards more mods...so really if u can afford to mod that one then sure, do it. But if funds are tight sell it and buy an older one for much less and enjoy the extra $.

But my Camaro (in sig) only has 7k miles on it. So really it doesn't matter. Do what YOU want!
I can afford to put this car in the 10s... but, will the value of the car take a huge dump or will it remain high as long as I keep the miles off and the condition excellent?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a 19,000 mile WS6 garage queen and did a bunch of mods. It will be ok.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

ill trade you mine and you can mod it...that will take care of your problem

but seriously mod it if you want cars are meant to be driven if not sell it and buy a cheap high mileage Z and use that extra money for mods
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Location: Way Out In The Boonies Chasin' Hill Billies, North GA

Originally Posted by ATLSS
I can afford to put this car in the 10s... but, will the value of the car take a huge dump or will it remain high as long as I keep the miles off and the condition excellent?
I wouldn't think that modding it would hurt the value tremendously as long as you keep the mileage low. I wouldn't do anything that would tremendously compromise the driveability of the car.
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it depends on what people are looking for. Some people will pay for mods and others don't want them touched. I personally don't mind a modded car but it's all what a person wants. If you bought it to mod it though then i wouldn't be worried about resale too much.~cole~
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got a great deal on the car... so I don't think I would save much by selling it and buying a high mileage car... It's not a cash thing... it's a "do I mod such a rare car with such low mileage that could go for much more in a few years...?"
Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by topdownTA
I wouldn't think that modding it would hurt the value tremendously as long as you keep the mileage low. I wouldn't do anything that would tremendously compromise the driveability of the car.
All I'd like to do is heads/cam/intake and a few other bolt ons and gear change... no gas, turbo, s/c, etc... just an all motor street car...
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

tough choice, but if you want a fast car. I say start with a car that has "been around" but is still in good condition. That way you start from scratch and do things right from day one. Fist off would be a forged shortblock. Second would be a rear end to handle all that abuse IF its a drag car. Then i would do something about the transmission and/or clutch. Once you have those things figured out get a power adder like a procharger/vortech, nitrous, or a turbo kit that will retain all accessories along with all the supporting mods like fuel upgrades. With everything mentioned above you will have a solid 450-700hp car while still being very driveable. All depends on how much boost or spray you want, the question is what do you consider "FAST". Either way you look at it you are looking to spend in excess of $6000 in all the upgrades if you want a badass FAST car. THEn comes the labor and install bills if you dont know how to work on your own car. Hope this helps you narrow down your choices. I say yea that car is way too nice, once you work on a car and upgrade it, you are bound to scratch it or take a grinder or soemthing to it somewhere for any given reason. I say hold on to it for a while but dont wait too long, the new camaro's coming out in a year and that car will make YOUR car go down in price like a ****!!! Just my honest opinion, hope you figure it out and build a nice one whatever it might be.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
NKAWTG...N

Just put the car back to stock when you sell it and it will remain with the normal appreciation. But modded cars don't sell for more money. You will lose money on the mods and probably end up selling for less than what the car is worth (generally).
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

oops ok so that answered the question to how "fast" you wanted to go lol. Well yeah i say go ahead and do heads/cam on that car for sure. That will not affect the driveablility or value of it. It will probably make people pay more for it since it will have more power if/when you sell it. Good luck with it either way, i say do that and some suspension mods so it rides, launches, and sounds nice.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll trade you. my car is the exact same, except it has 82K miles.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Just put the car back to stock when you sell it and it will remain with the normal appreciation. But modded cars don't sell for more money. You will lose money on the mods and probably end up selling for less than what the car is worth (generally).
Or that too...but that might be a pain in the *** to put back to stock if you cam it. Im pretty sure you will have to "find someone" that would pay more money for the mods the car has. It wont sell for MUCH more than what its worth stock that part is mostly true.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not real concerned with getting my money back on all the mods.... I'm more concerned with ruining such a low mileage car in excellent condition... Or is tearing into the engine really not that big of a deal...? I don't think it is personally....