General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Drop the engine for H/C, Rod bolt swap or not?
Yeah drop it out, it will be much easier in the long run.
60.00%
No, leave it in, why do all that extra work?
40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Drop the engine out, or not? H/C swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Drop the engine out, or not? H/C swap

I will be putting some heads and a cam in the car this winter. I will also be putting new rod bolts in the bottom end while I'm at it so I don't have to worry as much when I spin it upto ~6,500. I might as well do new motor mounts too, being they are probably still the stock ones in there.

Do you think it would be easier just to drop the engine out? It would make the H/C swap easier. I could just lift the engine off the kmember and get at the rod bolts. Or do you think it would be a waste of time messing with all of that just to put H/C and rod bolts in? Getting the wiring harness all back together would be the scariest part Id think.

What are your opinions?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go ahead and take apart the engine if youve done it before..youll need the space...if you don't feel comftorable...grab the book"how to build high performance chevy ls1/ls6 v8's" it tells you in detail(pictures included)..... on how to remove the engine on fbods,ybods and trucks
Old 12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 35thANNIz28
i would go ahead and take apart the engine if youve done it before..youll need the space...if you don't feel comftorable...grab the book"how to build high performance chevy ls1/ls6 v8's" it tells you in detail(pictures included)..... on how to remove the engine on fbods,ybods and trucks
Haha, I haven't done it before. The biggest project I've done on this car is swap rear ends. But I feel just fine doing it all myself. I want to go to school for this kind of work, and I have to learn somehow. At least I have all winter to do it, and its pretty straight forward stuff.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not that hard at all. I'd go ahead and take it out. I've got that book and it is a great help with stuff like this. The only problem you'll have is having to get the tires realigned after everything goes back in and I've seen people that don't even bother doing that.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop it. I did it in my basement with basic hand tools. Just need to build some sort of cart to put the engine and tranny on.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say drop it...super easy.

Put rear tires on ramps.

Pull driveshaft and disconnect torque arm and tranny crossmember.

Unhook electrical connectors and coolant hoses. Disconnect AC compressor from motor. Disconnect brake lines from ABS block.

Remove 2 bolts and 2 nuts from each upper shock mount.

Remove 3 bolts from each side of k-member.

Wrap engine hoist chain around the front upper radiator crossmember/core support (protect the pinch welds with wood or angle iron or such) and lift front of car up.

Once its high enough, set some tall jackstands or old wheels or something underneath the framerails behind the front wheels and set the car down on them and move engine hoist out of the way.

Roll motor/k-member/wheels out from underneath.

Easy. Did it in my garage.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was it hard getting all the wiring harness back in place and everything? Anyone know where to get that book from? Would probably be a handy tool.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just look around. If I remember correctly though, I believe Amazon carries some of those books. I'm not sure if they have the exact one mentioned above though...
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

check barnes & noble or borders also
Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

I actually saw that book for sale at my local autozone tonight, might wanna give them a call.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought 3 huge GM Tech books (set) off ebay for 2002 camaro's. used sold for 115.00. these books say how to do everything.

check ebay
Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

yes.. cause your gonna have to to do the rod bolts anyway... might as well pretty much just 16 bolts...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Launching!

auto zone 18- bucks
Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont worry about wireing harness, each plug has a diff sensor/shape/size/color ect ect
Old 12-03-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
i bought 3 huge GM Tech books (set) off ebay for 2002 camaro's. used sold for 115.00. these books say how to do everything.

check ebay
Were they the Haynes ones?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Launching!

I say go ahead a drop it. I just got through dropping mine and putting it back in by myself. Some stuff was a pain in the *** and would have been nice to have a had, but overall it wasn't to bad.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Low02
I say go ahead a drop it. I just got through dropping mine and putting it back in by myself. Some stuff was a pain in the *** and would have been nice to have a had, but overall it wasn't to bad.
How long did it take you to get the engine out by yourself if I may ask?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Were they the Haynes ones?
no an actually GM book
Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jakson i've been tossing the idea around with my build. Pulling the Engine i mean. I'll tell you one thing. When you disconnect the harness you will be suprised how easy it is to remember where everything goes. I did it twice on my GTP and it was SIMPLE. Just leave the harness in and up outta the way after you disconnect everything and then when you put the motor back in just lay the harness down and start to hook up the ones you KNOW are right. Then the other ones kinda just fall where they need to go. It's hard to explain but you'll see what i mean. I'm not doing the rodbolts in my Vette with my build. I MAY regret it but it gives me a reason to build when i spin a bearing. haha. If i'm around i may be able to help ya with the harness though since i'm not far from ya we'll see though. I've got one of those books these guys speak of and they help ALOT~Cole~
Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
Hey Jakson i've been tossing the idea around with my build. Pulling the Engine i mean. I'll tell you one thing. When you disconnect the harness you will be suprised how easy it is to remember where everything goes. I did it twice on my GTP and it was SIMPLE. Just leave the harness in and up outta the way after you disconnect everything and then when you put the motor back in just lay the harness down and start to hook up the ones you KNOW are right. Then the other ones kinda just fall where they need to go. It's hard to explain but you'll see what i mean. I'm not doing the rodbolts in my Vette with my build. I MAY regret it but it gives me a reason to build when i spin a bearing. haha. If i'm around i may be able to help ya with the harness though since i'm not far from ya we'll see though. I've got one of those books these guys speak of and they help ALOT~Cole~
Nice, I think I may pick up that book. I definitely want to pull the engine now, swaping heads/intake and everything will be so much easier with the engine out of the car, being it sits 1/4 under the cowl. Now with the possibility of having to flycut, thats almost a must to have the engine out. I have them Horsepower LS-gun episodes on my computer, I will just have to learn from watching them a couple times.

Yeah if you are ever in the area, give me a shout. I can give you a hand with your build too if I'm rolling through there, at least stop and check it out.