General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Thinking about selling the car, anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thinking about selling the car, anyone else have this problem?

I'm getting bored with my car, not much left to do to it (most of the stuff I have done is appearance which is why I'm posting in here), so I would sell it but for the price I'd have to sell it for (to not feel like a total douche for letting lots of money in parts go) is more than most would want to pay for a car with the miles...

I've seen a lot of other guys mention selling their car in here, they have a lot of money in it and want well more than KBB... How did it go for you guys?

Here's what I am dealing with...

1998 Z28 A4 T-Top 152,000 miles (BEFORE, hood stripes and new headlights):

Exterior:

Sunoco hood, satin black side stripes (vinyl) w/chrome 346 emblems

"GMMG" Grille and "69 style" foglights behind it.

Halo Projector headlights (HALOS come on when nitrous is armed)

Black housing turn signals

OEM Z06 wheels (magnessium, lightest out there)

1974 style Z28 emblems

98+ SS spoiler

Trans-Am Power Antenna

Berger panel w/stainless CAMARO inserts

Red tail lights

INTERIOR:

FULL EBONY CONVERSION (dash included) out of a low-mile SS (it's MINT)

MRC seats w/GMPD emblems matching rears out of an LT1

Dynopro Pedals

Cobalt gauges, stock cluster made to match (chrome trim, blue lights)

LED interior (ligthing and mirrors and dome)

GONE IN 60 SECONDS style Nitrous arming switch

Glovebox organizer (I list it because it is cool as hell )

SLP floormats

SOUND SYSTEM:

In-Dash DVD, TV TUNER, CD, AM/FM I-Pod player

JL Audio Stealth box with 10" sub and amp and aftermarket speakers in stock location PLUS custom tweeter pods.

EXHAUST:

MAC Mid-Lengths CUSTOM (welds ported, crappy stock flanges cut and replaced with v-bands so it is 3" to 3" straight through).

Dual 3" y-pipe into 4" Mufflex w/Spintech dual 3" out w/chrome tips

INTAKE:

SLP Lid, Descreened MAF SLP Bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake.

NITROUS:

NOS 5177 Kit with remote bottle opener and purge (dual out grille) 100hp shot only gone through ONE bottle (wife is too cheap for me to sneak out the cash to buy more)

SUSPENSION:

Strano 35mm front and SLP 21mm rear swaybars

Koni DA's on all four corners

Hotchkiss springs for the drop

BMR boxed SFC's and boxed stock LCA's and Panhard rod

Polyurethane Torque arm and Transmission Mounts

TRANSMISSION:

Was freshened ahwile back and now has a Fuddle 3600 stall on it...

It has a lot more stuff but I am tired of typing. Car is basically mint, only "problem" is the miles but most everything has been replaced. I can offer a compression test on the engine as well.

Actually, here's the REAL problem, book value with those miles is about $7500 (which is actually what I paid for it so it has held value) BUT I bought it stock and I EASILY have $12k-$14K in it NOT INCLUDING purchase price (lots of custom and big ticket items that add up, few grand in suspension, two grand in exhaust, $1500 for hood, $1000 in system, etc...).

Now that is including labor...

Most people don't want to spend that on a car with the miles but try to find one to compare, if you do BUY IT, lol!

SO, should I hold out for just the right buyer or just start parting the ***** out OR suck it up and keep it just start modding the wife's GTO more?!?!

Last edited by LawmanSS; 12-15-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a nice *** car, and the mods looks really good...

The main problem you will have is someone coming up with the money. I just sold my 99 Formula for 8700 and then I bought a 99 SS from a buddy of mine, and I had to fight with the bank over how much it was worth. If you want to list the car for that much money, it will hurt younger buyers since a bank wont give a loan for that much $$, and if they do give a loan for that much, it will be a high *** interest rate.

If you dont want the car, put it up for a little bit, and then if it doesn't sell, part it out and trade it in or sell it as a stocker.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

the cost you are charging is what is going to hurt you, even tho i know quite a few ppl would love to have that car..the mods are very nice man! i could see you going a grand or 2 over the nada price..if you have a friend that works at a used car dealership have him run it at a auction, just have him set the reserve at a 14000 just to see if anyone bites that high. im sure there is a quite a few dealerships or private owners at the auctions that will pay for that!! check it out

Last edited by bryan04h; 12-15-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put it back as much as you can to stock, sell it for less, sell or re-use the parts you took off or put all of it towards your next project. Personally if i had the money i would scoop up an early 2000+ C5, but thats just me. I personally wouldnt mod your wifes GTO too much, since you have the same engine in your two cars, (its an 04 gto if i remember right). What i am doing now with my T/A is getting my stereo/suspension/appearance done right now and saving up to put either a stroker or an LS2 in it in a couple years.

Or hell, just wait another year and sell it, put a hell of a nice down payment on an 09.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

im in the same boat as you man..........ill prolly sell mine for $14k obo 1998 T/A vert 6 speed 68k miles with well over $10k in extras not counting the cost of the car
more than likely it will end up on ebay

nice *** ride man.............but the mileage is what might steer someone away from it even tho mileage is not a big deal if its taken care of like yours is.................

Last edited by 98dropta; 12-15-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

i still think he should at least try the auction route, it might give him what he wants...just set the reserve so it won't go under the price unless he wants it to.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan04h
i still think he should at least try the auction route, it might give him what he wants...just set the reserve so it won't go under the price unless he wants it to.
yeah the auction route is a good idea...................that car might be exactly what someone is looking for............if the right person sees it, it will be gone
Old 12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Restricted User

beautiful car man! I would just keep it. Mileage is high and you'll have trouble selling it at that price. If the motor quits, time to drop in a forged 408!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you owe anything on it? She is a nice ride and I would stick with $14k if someone wants the ride they will pay.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98dropta
yeah the auction route is a good idea...................that car might be exactly what someone is looking for............if the right person sees it, it will be gone
im just saying man, my friend took my old 98 z with not nearly as many mods as this guy and i had a reserve set at 8k and the car had about 75k miles..and was in great condition and i pulled a lil less than 10k out of it..it is worth a try
Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem. But mines not really the fact I have nothing else to do. Mines the usage of the actual car. I live in Indiana so I cant drive the car during the winter and I drive 40 minutes to school every other day.. I have been thinking for awhile now about selling the car and getting a more everyday type of car..

Im just scared that if I get rid of the camaro i would regret it and want it back..
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Black Pearl
I have the same problem. But mines not really the fact I have nothing else to do. Mines the usage of the actual car. I live in Indiana so I cant drive the car during the winter and I drive 40 minutes to school every other day.. I have been thinking for awhile now about selling the car and getting a more everyday type of car..

Im just scared that if I get rid of the camaro i would regret it and want it back..
buy a beater
Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bryan04h
buy a beater
College student = no money
Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Black Pearl
It's happened to me before. Once it's gone you can't get it back.

If in doubt, keep it!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

you only want 14k? i have your car as my desktop...one of my favorite cars on the site.... **** beter get some money
Old 12-15-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

id only sell my car if it was for another 4th gen fbody. these cars are jsut too much damn fun to drive.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

I would put it up for the 14k and just test it out really. Like other's said people won't be able to get a loan for that amount since the car is a decade old now and it does have high miles.
I'm not saying it's not worth it but unless someone already has the cash good luck. We all know the buyers are out there so just put it up for sale, it will probably take some time but if you hold to your guns hopefully that one buyer will come and take it.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

What an amazing car!

The only thing that is going to kill you in the market is the '98 year model with 150K+ miles. Your car is incredible with some VERY nice extras, but the average buyer out their that is not educated on all that is LS1 will most likely look at the mileage and pass at that price.

Good luck with the sale! Like I said, you have an amazing car and hopefully someone will see that and give you the money that you deserve. Don't settle for less than what you are comfortable with. The right buyer will come along eventually with a car like this.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
(most of the stuff I have done is appearance which is why I'm posting in here)
Are you sure this thread isn't just a clever way to back-door the rules about posting for sale ads in here? I was ok with it until you posted your asking price at the end...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just like every other guy selling their car....IMO, you wont get half the money you put into your car on mods, and Labor- forget about it. You'll never get that money back. Why do you see so many people returning their cars to stock- b/c they wont get the money they spent on the mods back when selling the car in its current state. So they de-mod the car, get the money for what the cars worth, and then sell all the mods seperately. That way you'd get back some of the money you spent on mods without taking them as a loss. But then again- I've seen modded cars such as yours getting close to what the owner was asking, numerous times. Its all up to the buyer. Eitherway, its a nice car with tasteful mods. Whatever your descision is, think long and hard about it....like stated above, once its sold- its tough to get it back!