General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Testing waters/need Opinion. How much should I sell for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testing waters/need Opinion. How much should I sell for?

I am thinking about selling my car. Im just not sure what would be reasonable considering the problem with the car. Here is the skinny...
2002 WS6 A4. 74,289 miles.SLIPPING TRANSMISSION. Headers, lowered, lid, couple other mods. (Im not going to any great detail on the mods because my main concern is to see how much the slipping tranny will depreciate). The car is in otherwise good condition. Nothing else really wrong besides a few chips in the paint. Mechanically sound other than tranny. So, how much do you guys think would be a fair asking price?? Ballpark is all im expecting. Doesnt have to be matter-of-fact.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-28-2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: fixed title
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Default Tough sell

That is going to be a tough sell and you will be lucky to get $10,000 - $11,000 for it 'as is'. Mileage is not horribly high but certainly not low mileage either. There just isn't anything special going for your car to make it sell. Mods certainly don't sell cars as I'm sure you have seen on this site over and over again. Are you financially able to repair the car first yourself, then sell it? That way you would at least be selling a somewhat 'average' 2002 WS6 which will have a better chance of selling fast, maybe in the $11,000 - $12,000 range. Look at www.kbb.com. KBB is a tool to use as a guide if you haven't looked there. Not 100% accurate but still a general guide. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was thinking around $8500 myself. Im getting ready to put it on autotrader. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'll show my ignorance...the "A4" means it's an automatic transmission right?

If it was a standard the price would be easy to calculate because it would need a new clutch and that is easy to estimate. As an auto it's more difficult because it could be many things. The problem could be as simple as low trans fluid to as bad as a bad torque converter. Hmmm...I wish I could see it in person. Is it leaking fluid?

Honestly, I think $8,500 is a good price, assuming no other issues with the car, and I would pay that. Now, where can I get my hands on $8.5K....
Old 12-24-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow that is a very low price . a 02 ram air is a sought after ride . mechanical problems lower the value though if you are not hurting for the money try to get what you can for it unless you are helping out a friend . try to run it for a while at a high price then after a few months drop .
good luck
Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

The car doesnt have any leaks at all. Im gonna put it the autotrader this weekend, asking $9500.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

I would replace the tranny and then sale. I have already replaced mine and in the same boat as you. If I can find a buyer at a good price it is gone. If I can't.....AFR 205s and a cam.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm having a tough time selling my 02 ws6 and there's not a thing wrong with mine. I've got it posted on here for less than KBB and have only gotten a few replys. I really need to sell mine cause I need the money.
SpeedSin you got any pictures? Have you had the transmission checked out by a shop? How bad does it slip?