General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

few ls1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few ls1 questions

hey everyone. i will be shopping for a ws6 for my next project car when the mustang is done and had a few questions since im fairly new to GM. im starting to do some research on the ls1 so here goes. i have learned so far with my motor which is a 4.6 and quite is small compared to the 5.7, i chose to stay the N/A since everyone goes the F/I path but i wish i would have got my heads ported a bit more and went with a bit more radical cam. basicly i just wish i could have gotten more power lol and i love spooling up my rpms. one question is if i were to stroke a ls1, what would be the max cubes i can get out of it? also do they like to be revved high? like 7k rpms? and if i sway tword the F/I path what is a good turbo or super charger kit that anyone has exp. with? do these motors make great power with just heads and cams and intake *N/A*? sorry for all the newb questions just wish i did a little bit more research when i got the stang, i just kinda jumped in it blindly but all and all it turned out good. may be a while until i get the ws6 but when i do it will just be a cruising/strip car so i dont mind if its a bit harsh to run on the street, somthin pretty wild. yeah anyways just looking for some opinions and some info and if you dont mind share your setups and what mabey you would have done different if you were to do it again. thanks everyone, sorry for the long post
Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

wow... wall of text

well 7k rpms might be a bit high for an LS1 considering the 6.2k rev limiter but...
Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good thinking getting rid of that disgustang
Old 01-20-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twigs
wow... wall of text

well 7k rpms might be a bit high for an LS1 considering the 6.2k rev limiter but...
thought you could bump up the limiter to meet the needs of a motor that say peaks it powerband at 7k rpms? that too high for a ls1 motor?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jsteele90
good thinking getting rid of that disgustang
umm yeah.....
Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

There Are Some Guys Out There Spinning The Stock Bottom End To 7 K
But I Wouldn't Do It
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ls1 gets great power with just heads and cam, just make sure you put some money into the suspension so it can get the power to the ground
Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i am doing a project with my car in april of this year. i will be doing a lsx 454 ci with a f1r procharger at +20 lbs of boost. the lsx block will consist of all billet rods etc. im going to do a custom grind blower cam with mongoose afr heads, with supporting mods. transmission will come way through a t 56 custom fully built to with stand over 1000tq. will be having a cutom 2 tune set up with hp tuners with a touch of a lap top. i should be and am expecting to be around the 850-900 rwhp with this set up.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by pozesd99'
well i am doing a project with my car in april of this year. i will be doing a lsx 454 ci with a f1r procharger at +20 lbs of boost. the lsx block will consist of all billet rods etc. im going to do a custom grind blower cam with mongoose afr heads, with supporting mods. transmission will come way through a t 56 custom fully built to with stand over 1000tq. will be having a cutom 2 tune set up with hp tuners with a touch of a lap top. i should be and am expecting to be around the 850-900 rwhp with this set up.
wow that sounds badass... thats somthin i would love to be able to do one day. how much you think it may end up costing you?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

There are so many possibilities with the ls engines. Heads and cam will get you over 400rwhp. There is so much you can do. The first few things I did was get a lid, catback, headers, stall, cam, and a badass tune. Waited a few months and got some wheels and afew more months and lowered her and got a new hood. Next I plan on upgrading the rearend, and tranny cause I will be adding heads soon.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

you're going to like the LS1. trust me. to make my input on your questions, I'm not the guy to ask about RPM's. however if you can adjust the rev limiter and want to go higher, I would definitely not do it on stock internals. same goes for FI. upgrade the rods & pistons if you want to go that route. a good somewhat affordable supercharger is, of course, Procharger. the majority of this board would vote on it. You can bore the 346ci LS1 to a 383ci. (someone correct me if you can get more cubes from that block). Heads/Cam/Intake LS1... I've seen some make up to almost 500rwhp. we're talking about a huge cam here, and probably higher gears & a trans. the average heads/cam/intake LS1 out there tend to make between 400-480rwhp, give or take a few. at stock weight & gears, you MIGHT see high 11's but mostly low 12's. H/C/I swap makes these cars feel very powerful compared to the mid 13 second stock LS1. but it's a good idea to mod your ground setup so it can lay it to the pavement. and keep in mind once you go over 400rwhp most of those 10 bolt rear ends don't hold up long if you abuse the pavement.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
11 Second Club

lsx is the 5.0 motor just a whole lot better...that should be enough right there. My car pulls all the way to the rev limiter w/o dropping at all so there is definately power to be made above 6250. I would upgrade the valvesprings if you do so however.