General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Have F-bodies visually withstood the test of time??
Hell yea! Still looks as cutting edge as the day I bought it!
82.22%
Its beginning to look dated.
17.22%
Damn thing looks like an antique.
0.56%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are F-bodies visually withstanding the test of time??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

LS1 trans ams are still among the best looking cars ever made

camaros..a bit more dated but not terribly...my biggest thing is they look like chrysler sebrings in the rearview...it takes effort to make them look tough, unlike the TA

and that effort would be reduced 99% by ditching stock wheels...ZR1 vette wheels do not help any...those might actually be worse IMO, I will never understand the fascination with those...just because they came on a vette doesn't mean they look good on a vette, much less a newer car

stock f body wheels blow for the most part. the very late model camaro wheels are the only exceptions, the split spokes look good. TA wheels and other camaro stock wheels look like sissy crap and bring the cars down IMO
Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
You say you don't like the new camaro's and mustangs now. But then again people said the same thing about the f-bodies and mustangs when they changed back in 93 and 94.
Believe me.... I won't be changing my mind. I didn't like the Mustangs... when they came out... and never did like them. Even though the new Mustang may look better than the last... even that it is a retro.... I still don't like it anywhere near as much as the 4th gens Firebird/Camaro. I've never liked the Mustang..... not even the older ones and in the mid seventies... that Mustang was nothing but a JOKE!!!!!!!!!! FORD should have been ashamed to even have manufactured that piece of crap. At least there is no model of the F-body that can be said about... even if I don't like the new Camaro or the oldest F-body.

I think the F-body started to become a good looking car with the 2nd gens. I liked the 3rd gens better when they came out.... but the 4th gens were the BEST yet. I LOVED the 4th gens from first sight. I though the 4th gens were one of the best looking cars I had ever seen. Still do. Only cars I can even think of that come close are the C5 and C6 vette and the some Ferrari and Lamborghini models. I just like that long low-slung over all type shape of cars that look like that.

In fact, my disappointed in the 5th gens is that they do not look better or even as good as the 4th gens. I think GM screwed up by not making a more progressive design. Something that would have been more along the lines of the 4th gens. Maybe a lower roof. More stretched out towards the back like the vette.

As for cheap interior... yeah... they could have been better.... but that is something one could change if they wanted. Still.... I would rather have a car with a cheap interior than to have a retro.

Btw....Mine doesn't squeak... although that may be because I only have 45K on the car.

However that is story with a LOT(most) of cars. Sure they don't squeak when new.... but when the miles get on up there.... and they will.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 06-21-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01bird58
It has almost been 7 years since the last F-body rolled off an assembly line. We've seen the Corvette and Mustang remodeled. A new Dodge Charger platform and remodels from all of the F-bodies foreign competitors. How well do you think F-bodies have visually withstood the test of time?

IMO only recently do I feel that my Trans Am looks "old". When it sat next to my friend's C6 the other day it looked like a boat. But, I still love the way it looks and remains one of the fastest cars on the road.
i dont think anymore once the new camaro coems out, that;s why its been so long cause we stop reproducing these cars like mustang did, etc
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by formuhawk99
I think that the only thing that somewhat dates the 4th gen f-body is the long front and rear overhang. The "new" styles seem to favor very short overhangs - especially in the front. Other than that, the 4th gens still hold up well.
Thats very true. New vehicle models are always chopping inches off the wheelbase (i.e. C6). My TA's long rear overhang is definitely contributing to its "dated" look.

Yeah. I wish they hadn't have gone retro with it. Not saying it doesn't look good to me because I actually like it.

But something closer to what my camaro looks like would have been better imo. Completely different car but still close to what works.
I agree. I would have liked it if GM had kept the same basic design of 4th gens and refined/modernized it.

Last edited by 01bird58; 06-24-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The C6 is certinly a good looking car. Too bad GM didn't pursue a similar direction with the 5gen F-bodies.

(And I mean F-body. That's just another thing that "bugs" me about the new Camaro. It has a shared platform rather than one of it's own. The new Camaro really isn't a F-body.)
Old 06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Another good point. Most new cars come with wheels in 18" or 19". Obviously you can buy a new set, but a set of 17inchers look dated no matter what the style IMO.
whoa easy now! the 'small' 2nd gen snowflakes are the BEST production rims ever!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blacksnake
Give me a 77 Bandit Trans Am, that car is dated and gaudy as hell, but it still looks bad ***! These cars are the kind of vehicles you have to "pull off", not everyone can do it. Not everyone's gonna like your car, F bodies are far from the "hot new thing".

i am offended sir! jesus drives a 2nd gen trans am! well the 80's cancelled action figure version would
Old 06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Believe me.... I won't be changing my mind. I didn't like the Mustangs... when they came out... and never did like them. Even though the new Mustang may look better than the last... even that it is a retro.... I still don't like it anywhere near as much as the 4th gens Firebird/Camaro. I've never liked the Mustang..... not even the older ones and in the mid seventies... that Mustang was nothing but a JOKE!!!!!!!!!! FORD should have been ashamed to even have manufactured that piece of crap. At least there is no model of the F-body that can be said about... even if I don't like the new Camaro or the oldest F-body.

I think the F-body started to become a good looking car with the 2nd gens. I liked the 3rd gens better when they came out.... but the 4th gens were the BEST yet. I LOVED the 4th gens from first sight. I though the 4th gens were one of the best looking cars I had ever seen. Still do. Only cars I can even think of that come close are the C5 and C6 vette and the some Ferrari and Lamborghini models. I just like that long low-slung over all type shape of cars that look like that.

In fact, my disappointed in the 5th gens is that they do not look better or even as good as the 4th gens. I think GM screwed up by not making a more progressive design. Something that would have been more along the lines of the 4th gens. Maybe a lower roof. More stretched out towards the back like the vette.

As for cheap interior... yeah... they could have been better.... but that is something one could change if they wanted. Still.... I would rather have a car with a cheap interior than to have a retro.

Btw....Mine doesn't squeak... although that may be because I only have 45K on the car.

However that is story with a LOT(most) of cars. Sure they don't squeak when new.... but when the miles get on up there.... and they will.
The camaro was just as shitty at the time of the mustang II (150hp 5.0L King Cobra) because of the oil scare at the time. So was the vette for a bit after that too. Its speedo topped at 85mph and wasn't GM's fastest car until the Buick Grand National and the turbo v6 firebird were stopped being built.

Berlinetta? Remember that?

There have been just as many shitty f-bodies as mustangs. lol

Oh and I just hit 40k miles on my car yesterday and I notice the squeaks and rattles. They aren't annoying but my car was a $30k car brand new. My buddies a4 wasn't that expensive brand new and his enterior kicks my enteriors *** not in looks but in QUALITY.

I only wished they were made of better stuff. I like the way my camaro's interior looks and the was the mustangs look in the sn95s. I just hate the cheap plastic.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^The Camaro at that time may have had a sucky engine and no hp.... but the Camaros still looked way better the Mustang II.

Probably the only two cars worse than the Mustang II were the Ford Pinto and the AMC Pacer.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 06-21-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sopcich04
jesus drives a 2nd gen trans am! well the 80's cancelled action figure version would
Kenny drives a rocket powered 2nd gen Trans Am... at least in his dream fantasy while tripping out on cat ****.

I've got to admit though... I had a new found respect for Kenny after that.

I LOVED that "bird" he had on the hood of that 2nd gen T/A.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 06-21-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think any gen of 'bird' and camaro cars are outdated everytime I see one I look especially the old ones! People like the look of the older cars thats why the new muscle type are more boxy looking.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Berlinetta? Remember that?

There have been just as many shitty f-bodies as mustangs. lol
Lets not forget about the 4cyl that was put in the first 3rd gen models either.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=thunderstruck507;9597960]LS1 trans ams are still among the best looking cars ever made

I agree with that.

[QUOTE=thunderstruck507;9597960]camaros..a bit more dated but not terribly...my biggest thing is they look like chrysler sebrings in the rearview...it takes effort to make them look tough, unlike the TA

They have a resemblance if you look at them through the rearview like a mile away maybe but that's where it ends because the Camaro's front end's lines look way better, I hate that Sebring yet I love the Camaro. Chevy took Chrysler's lines and and made it look right.

What looks tough is a matter of opinion too. Who do you think would look tougher, a person staring you in the face ready to fight (Camaro) or a person with a big nose and closed eyes ready to fight (WS6)?

Back to the poll, the only thing that looks outdated in these cars is the interior, worse on the Camaros than the Firebird though.

Last edited by Cruz28; 06-22-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would take the looks of the WS6 over anything Pontiac has but out since. The only car Chevy is putting out that has caught my eye more is the C6 vettes. I am really starting to like the new Challenger, but I saw a mag test that ran a 13.4 1/4 mile with full bolt ons...that doesnt inspire much confidence when that is waht our car are said to run stock.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive always thought that my car looked way more mordern than the corvette of the same year.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I would take the looks of the WS6 over anything Pontiac has but out since. The only car Chevy is putting out that has caught my eye more is the C6 vettes. I am really starting to like the new Challenger, but I saw a mag test that ran a 13.4 1/4 mile with full bolt ons...that doesnt inspire much confidence when that is waht our car are said to run stock.
You can't go by mag 1/4s.

Car and Driver took the 03 cobra too a 13.4 in the 1/4 when it came out and then the 04 cobra against the ls2 GTO in 05.

Another 13.4 for the cobra and 13.8 for the GTO.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still get compliments on my car all of the time. I take great care of it and keep the SOM paint in pristine condition. The previous owner (member on here) also took great care of it. I couldnt be happier
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Well, I read the first couple pages and then it hit me.... What is wrong with dated? I mean are none of you muscle car fans? Isn't part of the beauty of musclecars that they're dated? These things are muscle cars fellas. They're getting, and will be, dated. Nothing wrong with that. That's what adds to there allure. J.M.O. Scott
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FoFittyFoSS
Well, I read the first couple pages and then it hit me.... What is wrong with dated? I mean are none of you muscle car fans? Isn't part of the beauty of musclecars that they're dated? These things are muscle cars fellas. They're getting, and will be, dated. Nothing wrong with that. That's what adds to there allure. J.M.O. Scott
+1, hell ya. Problem is that a lot of the people on this site are 18 year old kids and this is their DD not their track car. Nothing wrong with that though, wished i'd had a car like this at 18.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

interior yes outdated butr this poll isnt about that. outside appearance i think the ws6 is still one of the best looking cars on the road. i put it 3rd behind the new vettes and i have the 350z as the current best looking car

Quick Reply: Poll: Are F-bodies visually withstanding the test of time??