General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Buying a car out of state

I might be buying a car from the forums. How are you guys that fly out to get your car driving it back? With or without plates? Do they give you a temporary window sticker? Just curious so I am ready when the time comes. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:20 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You should be able to go down to your local place and get the 30 day permit paper tag.

It was stupid, but we drove a Z06 back to Texas from Ohio without any plates at all. We passed several cops both going the same direction as us and the other direction and never got pulled over

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

If a dealer, temporary tags are issued. If a private party you need to obtain temporary tags from that state's tag office (if applicable) or bring your own legal tags to put on the car. You MUST have the dated bill of sale with you in this instance as I'm sure sure every state has a grace period until you can get your 'new' car titled and registered. If you are pulled over make sure you explain to the officer that you just bought the car, have the bill of sale, and that the tags on the car will be issued to this car once it is brought home. They must be valid though, not expired. Verification is the key to everything. If you have your paperwork in order, then no problems. To make sure specifically, just call your local tag (license plate) office and get the official answer for the states you are dealing with. In my personal experience I have done both methods dealing with VA, FL and NC. Never a problem but also never pulled over on the way home.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done this quite a few times and it's not as complicated as many people make it sound.

If you buy from an individual, as mentioned already, go to your local tax office and get temp tags and you should be good to go. I was told some time ago by the tax office here in TX that not all states recognize other state's paper tags, so it's a bit hit and miss.

Then again, as long as you have all the paperwork with you signed and dated, you are good to go.

And if you buy from a dealer, they should provide you temp tags, anyway. Not a biggie.

I've done it once so that I took one of my old plates and stuck it on the car and drove it from CA to TX, but will definetely not do that again. Too much to risk for just $25 official paper tag.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I sold my 93 T/A to a guy out of state my local DMV would not give him a 30 day tag even with the bill of sale I put together. He used plates from another car he owned.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

twice i've done this,

dated title, bill of sale, and ins in hand, no tags...pulled over once, no problem with proper paper work, TN hwy patrol wished me safe travel...

as others have said, check with local and other state in which you are purchasing
Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Default don't take a chance !!!!!

hey can't do any of that in fl. no tag, ins no drive !!!!!!!!!!! and with no ins and you hit some one your fucked big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billyb
hey can't do any of that in fl. no tag, ins no drive !!!!!!!!!!! and with no ins and you hit some one your fucked big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
did it twice, once in Fl. From Melbourne to Louisiana, the next one was from New Hampshire to Louisiana, no plates. Never a problem. Carry proof of ins., dated bill of sale, title, and you will be fine.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM

I went from Houston to Kansas City, we got pulled over once in southern Kansas but I had the bill of sale with me and let the officer know that I'd already called my insurance to add it on, and there were no issues.

He did want to know if the car was really worth driving to Houston and back for though.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

My insurance agent told me I was covered, I needed the bill of sale and other paperwork. You can usually get insurance by calling over the phone and giving your agent the info.

Most places will issue a temp tag. In Michigan specifically, you can drive it with a bill of sale and go directly home or to the Sec. of State (DMV).
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

when i bought a car out of state, the local AAA to where i bought the car was able to issue me an "in-transit" tag to display on the car. i called my insurance company before i bought the car and they (allstate) said there is a 30-day grace period of coverage on vehicle purchases. i just need to call within the 30 after i bought the car to insure it. they will assume coverage from the day i bought it.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

You get a trip permit off of your states dmv website
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this four days ago but requires a bit of trust from the seller. I drove the car from indy to pittsburgh with his plates on the car in his name. However, I had the car insured for the trip. According to AAA and state farm this was legal. I am mailing the plates back today.

P.S, I gotta change my sig for the Hawk!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joshu
I did this four days ago but requires a bit of trust from the seller. I drove the car from indy to pittsburgh with his plates on the car in his name. However, I had the car insured for the trip. According to AAA and state farm this was legal. I am mailing the plates back today.

P.S, I gotta change my sig for the Hawk!
thats what i did when i bought my ss, but didnt travel as far as you. but your right it takes a lot of trust from the seller. good luck.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I just flew to Texas and drove my WS6 back to Miami. I insured the car and used the previous owners plates. I just mailed back the plate. When i went to the DMV apon my return they told me I should have gotten a paper temp plate for the drive. All I had to do was get insurance and go to the tag agency. Check out your local tag agency web site for details.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done this TWICE. One legally and once w/o knowing how its done. First time I drove a car from New York to Illinois and I just put some plates on that I brought and had proof of insurance. You probably wont have problems, but if you do get pulled over and the cop wants to, they can screw you pretty good.

Second time I went from Minnesota to Illinois and I did it the right way. Went to the local DMV with my newly signed title and they gave me a 30 day "In-Transit" tag for like $7 that I hung in the back window. Its true you have 30 days you are covered with you insurance company but I just brought some paperwork with just to show that I do have insurance.

I even got pulled over once I was back in Illinois by a local country sheriff since he didn't see any plates, and he checked out my paper and let me go
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Have the car shipped. My TA came from LA to NJ
Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have thirty day tags.
well... technically, i'm registered for them, but stupid *** Kansas temp tags are a paper-board licence plate.

we've been having storms lately... therefore, i've been driving around since the 18th (got the car on the 16th) with nothing on the car. I've been pulled over once... by a small town cop at 2 am or so. Showed him my bill of sale and proof of temp registration, insurance and licence, and I was on my way. He just then checked for warrants and APBs out on my description (which he read from my licence, which isn't accurate) or a similar car... cause some people take their plates off to steal gas.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

I live in KY butt bought my Stang on ebay from St. Louis Mo. Just drove home with his plate. Your suppose to change in in 30 days or something.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

as long as you have your paper work and its not out of date theres not much they can say. especially if your from out of state and your just passing thru. I drove my formula around for 8 months before I got a tag I just kept making out new bill of sales.

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state