General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Urgent! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Urgent! Need Help!

ok well i reconnected my battery and now i have this when i got in and started it up! how do i fix this? i have to take the gauge bezel thing off i know that, its just the bolts on the top side of it right? anyone know the size of them? then what can i just gently lift it over the battery gauge or what if i disconnect it again will it recalibrate or something? help im lost....

Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

somebody...anybody....point to a sponsot who would know anything really? i have to have something to take to work tomorrow and my beater is f'd up and i dont need a ticket cuz my speedo doesnt work! will it cause more harm if i drive it like that?!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the speedometer move at all?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

>>>>>>>+1
Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try driving it. It may reset itself.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

i tried driving it, tried unhooking the battery again, nothing so far! only thing is i only unhooked it for a minute and then replaced it, how long does it take the comp and all to reset after its unplugged? i might pull it again and let it sit and see what it does...

u cant tell by the pics but it rests just off the steering column maybe a 1/8 of an inch or less and then when you start the car it pushes against the column and goes back to an 1/8 inch off or so when you turn it off...i dont know how the hell this would happen or what would cause it...

is there a sponsor that sells clusters that i can talk to(like white faced ones), i was thinking there was but had no luck finding one!

thanks for the help guys!
josh
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Well, nothing to loose, take it out and look at it. Its pretty simple to take the whole cluster out.

Dont know how in the hell your needle did that.... I know when low battery's are applied, all the needles shoot up then slowly come back down. So, maybe your needle did that and it came loose or striped out.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Usually when they do that, the driver has shot craps. I've seen them come back and I've seen them stay stuck more often than not. Do not take the face off of your cluster. Take it out and place it right side down so all the gauges peg, then let gravity do the work of getting your needle back in place by rolling it around. Its worth a try. Other than that you'll have to send it to somewhere that works on speedos. I can get you the name of the company that GM uses in our district if you'd like...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

how do you take the whole cluster out? the lens looks easy enough, does it all come out as one or what? once its out and back in do i have to get it recalibrated anyway or will it be right? ya ill take any names or numbers or whatever that will help me out, i might make a run to the stealership as well....

Last edited by jrob56; 07-30-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

update! i have it all apart except the four screws bolts holding in the actual cluster, lens and all. if i take that out and do the hold it up side down hoping it flips back, can i just put it back and the cluster will still work? even if the speedo doesnt work will the rest of the cluster work again, or will some tuning be involved to make it work again?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

if speedo doesnt work, it wont effect your other gauges. Ive had mine out plenty of times, and there's no tuning required when you put it back in.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, thats what i wanted to hear on with trying to fix it!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Launching!

WOW. I am having this EXACT problem myself. I got to work early to change my battery out real quick, and start her up, then BAM, everything is fine, but the damn speedo is stuck all the way to the right. In fact, as of right now, I'm at the very same stage the OP is at regarding gauge cluster removal... just took out the bezel that's held by 2 screws on top, but the actual gauge cluster is still in, and I need to find the proper tools to reach the bottom two screws. So much for just changing a damn battery...
Old 07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

i have the cluster loose but cant get it past the wheel, i am gonna get a socket to drop the column down some out of the way and then just turn it upside down and see if it will come back, hopefully put it in and everything will be fine. at least im in this with somebody now! ill let you know if i get mine fixed, you do the same
Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

gotcha. i was just hoping to get the clear panel off and move the needle itself somehow... i guess that's not possible without having the whole cluster itself come out huh? i had enough trouble trying to get the bezel/panel past the wheel without having it crack, i guess i'll find out how to tackle the cluster when i get home and/or have access to proper tools.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

To the OP... I don't know if you're going to be as lucky as me, but it's worth a shot. Before I even got a chance to take the rest of the gauge cluster off, on the way home, from work, I was probably doing around 60-70mph, and then dropped it into 6th, and that's when the needle suddenly sprang back to the appropriate place... Since we had the exact same problem, hopefully this will be the same solution. (although i see you have an a4... dont' know how that'll work)
Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

well thanks everybody, i got it back in and working today. just dropped the column a little and pulled it all out gave her a gentle shake upside down and back around it went, works just like before! now to get these longtubes in