General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

half my gauges stopped working suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default half my gauges stopped working suddenly

well i'll give you some background first, i just installed long tubes, slp loudmouth and a tr224 114 cam. we removed the air. so when i start the car for the first time my abs inop light was on and the asr off light was on. but that didnt worry me because i knew we got a little anti-freeze in the abs plug. so i drove it around a little while waiting for my tune to come in. i know i know stupid on my part. well yesterday i took it on a little cruise and suddenly a bunch off lights came on and my tach, temp, and fuel gauges dropped to zero. i still have the speed oil pressure and charging gauges. and my check gauges, brake, service vehicle, service engine soon and off course the ones that were on before are on now.
and it gets worse, i have a scanmaster so i went to check my dtc's and the scanmaster cant read the ecu, i tried hooking up hptuners and it cant access the ecu either. every once in a while it will pop on and then i can get to the ecu but only for a second before it flicks back off
some one pleeeease help this is frustrating.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the grounds bolted to the back of the cylinder heads and make sure they are clean and tight. Several modules receive their ground from theis location and may cause an array of problems if loose, dirty, or not attached.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Launching!

yeah someone else on ls1truck told me that but where exactly on the back of the head because thats waaaaay back there and very hard to reach
Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Launching!

now last night out of nowhere it started sputtering really bad, i could hardly get the car home, at low rpms it was weak but ok, the tach isn't working but i know that at around 2500 it misses real bad and the car bucks. this is making me sick
Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can fell them if you know what you are looking for....so use a mirror and a light and you can see them.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Launching!

well since your a tech, have you ever seen something like this, gauges dropping and now the sputtering, its missing real bad in higher rpms. oh and not being able to communicate with the ecu, i have a scanmaster that cant read and hptuners wont connect
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Launching!

i have a friend coming over and we will try to get a mirror and look for the grounds on the heads
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the jester 812
i have a friend coming over and we will try to get a mirror and look for the grounds on the heads
Hey keep us updated, I am having similar problems....mine first occured when I put the car on the bumper...I busted the oil pan and smashed the headers. I have since then replaced those parts and now when I go to "drive" the car it won't even let me go past 20mph without sputtering and acting like it wants to cut off. The gauges flicker and everything else. When I am at idle nothing happens, when I rev it up nothing happens, it only acts up when I start to drive it. I have had my dad sit in the driver seat while I shake every possible wire, connection, ECU, fuses, battery and everything. I do have a braille battery which wont hold a charge at all. I am putting my stock battery in tomorrow to see if this cure it, if not I havnt the slightest clue what it could be!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not saying it cant be something else, but ehe symptoms you describe point to a bad ground. Almost all of the modules and sensors ground through the back of the cylinder head. Also check the ground that runs from the negative battery cable to the block. Dont just visually look at them...i've had this burn me before. Grab ahold of the wire and wiggle it and make sure its tight.

Here is a list of just a few of the items that use the back of the cyl head for a ground:

PCM - G110
DLC - G110
IGNITION COILS - G112
MAF - G110
HO2S - G112
IPC GAUGES - G110

G110 - Back of LH cylinder head
G112 - Back of LH cylinder head

Also, grab a test light and check EVERY fuse in the underhood fuse blocks as well as the I/P fuse block. I would almost bet you will find a bad ground or popped fuse.

Check pin 16 (orange wire) at the DLC for power. If you have no power check the CIG ACCY fuse as this may also be the cause of no PCM communication.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Launching!

wow dude you seriously know your stuff, well miraculously everything just started working again, if must be the ground on the back of the head, because after trying to get the mirror back there i bet i bumped it and now everything is working. i also had fixed the plug that hooks into the top of the alternator, it was a little loose and had been spliced. but the abs still doesn't work.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Launching!

on a side note i have definitely got to swap this slp loudmouth out for something chambered, it sounds badass at wot but everyday putting around is getting annoying.