General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 camaro wont start sometimes possible pass key problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 camaro wont start sometimes possible pass key problem??

I posted this same problem about a month ago.. It stopped for a while and now its starting to do it again! just cranks wont fire it only does it sometimes and when its finally running it runs great. It did it again today and when I pulled my key out and put it back in it started. The keys little chip seems loose. I was wondering if that could be a pass key problem? Because I have fuel pressure and the fuel filter was just replaced and I have spark. Any advice would be great thanks...
Old 01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think it would even crank if it was a pass key issue (but I'm not sure). What does the security light on the dash do?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try another key but if it's cranking doesn't sound like a VATS issue.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

this is driving me nuts! lol ive tried everything... Maybe the cam postion sensor??? I have no check engine lights and the security light just stays but doesnt blink
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Security light on the instrument panel does indicate a VATS issue, if it's been staying on steady it might be in fault enable mode - fault happened while running so it knows the car isn't being stolen. I'd still try another key first since the pelet is loose.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you figured this out yet? my car has the same problem, but my freakin security light doesn't really come on anymore
Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

It's a sucky feeling when you have this stupid problem. I had it 4 months ago and got ripped for what I had to pay to get it fixed@!!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

what was wrong with urs? I think its the cam sensor???
Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your ignition relay. It's in the fuse box and it's one of the bigger grey boxes. Replace it with one of your fan relays and see if that's the problem.

I had the same issue and I struggled with it for about half a year until I realised that it was a burnt out relay. 15 dollar fix through autozone.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Check your ignition relay. It's in the fuse box and it's one of the bigger grey boxes. Replace it with one of your fan relays and see if that's the problem.

I had the same issue and I struggled with it for about half a year until I realised that it was a burnt out relay. 15 dollar fix through autozone.
+1

I went through this issue for a solid year and thought I had a VATS problem because it was so intermittent. I put a fuel pump in it and checked cam position sensor readings and everything came back fine. Still had the starting problem though. I never thought to check the relay so I replaced it and it started right up. Check the relay as it is only $13.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
+1

I went through this issue for a solid year and thought I had a VATS problem because it was so intermittent. I put a fuel pump in it and checked cam position sensor readings and everything came back fine. Still had the starting problem though. I never thought to check the relay so I replaced it and it started right up. Check the relay as it is only $13.
checking now... ill let ya know.....
Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

+1

just checked it.... still cranks doesnt start.... when I turn the key on its only 11.8 volts.. shouldnt it be reading over 12 for start up???
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pat-ls101
just checked it.... still cranks doesnt start.... when I turn the key on its only 11.8 volts.. shouldnt it be reading over 12 for start up???
Not necessarily. That's plenty of power for the car to start. Did you replace the relay with a brand new one? Just do it because checking it won't cut it. My car just cranked and cranked and would not show any signs of starting at all. Then it would occasionally start as if nothing was wrong. I spent the big bucks first instead of taking on the easy stuff. Don't make the same mistake I did. Go with the cheap and easy stuff first.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Not necessarily. That's plenty of power for the car to start. Did you replace the relay with a brand new one? Just do it because checking it won't cut it. My car just cranked and cranked and would not show any signs of starting at all. Then it would occasionally start as if nothing was wrong. I spent the big bucks first instead of taking on the easy stuff. Don't make the same mistake I did. Go with the cheap and easy stuff first.
i just replaced it with the fan relay and nothing happened
Old 01-29-2009, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

I replaced it with a new one and it starts everytime! thanks for the advice guys.... Now on to the misfire... any takers??
Old 01-29-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha. I replaced mine with another relay and it didn't work either. That's why it took me a year to take care of it because I thought it was something worse. I got a recommendation to put a new one in and the damn thing starts everytime. Congrats on the fix!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Just wanted to say thanks for this post, you guyz saved my azz!! I was making plans to replace the cam pos sensor when I came across this post after almost a year of headaches over the "intermitten starting" problem. THANKS
Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool Ignition relay

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez

Im not sure if the ignition relay is one of the 'big ones' in the relay centre. The Starter relay is, but is the ignition a 'big one'??

If your engine is rolling every time and just not firing, then its not your starter relay, but could be your ignition relay.

I had lots of troubles with my wifes 98 Buick Century (I know different car). She had this issue where she would turn the key and nothing would happen at all, just the lights would come on. If she took the out and put it back in SOMETIMES it would start. If she turned the key to RUN and moved the shifter all over the place, and put it back in PARK and tried to start it SOMETIMES it would start. I put a new starter in at first, and found the solenoid control wire (the purple one) had a somewhat loose connection, this did not cure the problem. I then checked the fuses...all good. Installed a new ignition relay...problem persisted. Installed a new Park Neutral safety switch....problem persisted. At this point I was ready to kill someone because I knew the only left in the system was the ignition switch, which I didnt want to do. So I set out to do the Ig switch and replaced it with a GM part and put it all back together and turned the key NOTHING HAPPENED, didnt even roll over. I ended up getting the car to run after lots of screwing around with the passkey and small barrell switch, I dont really know what exactly made it run actually. The 'Security' light is on all the time now, but the car starts and runs fine and hasnt caused us any problems since.

I know thats a long story, but I hope there is some helpful info there for you.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all of this, I've had to leave my car at the dragstrip once because it wouldn't start back. I'll get a new relay asap! It was killing me why it was doing that! Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM

My security light is on and has been for about a week. I have had no problems at all since it came on, is it still probably my ignition relay?

Quick Reply: 02 camaro wont start sometimes possible pass key problem??