General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC recharge: Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009 | 02:28 AM
Staging Lane

Default AC recharge: Help needed

I have a 2002 z28. At the end of this summer the ac stopped blowing cold air. I wanted to recharge the ac but I don't know where to hook up the can of refrigerant. Can anyone post some pics for me!! Would be greatly appreciated. BTW this is my first time doing this so any helpfull tips would be nice..thanks everyone
Old 03-07-2009 | 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Not in the mood to take pictures... raining outside.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3091209AAy1zBq

Decent description of where it is. (the hose only fits on one of two nozzles, so you really can't screw it up TOO badly unless you overcharge it)
Old 03-07-2009 | 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rican_boi310
I have a 2002 z28. At the end of this summer the ac stopped blowing cold air. I wanted to recharge the ac but I don't know where to hook up the can of refrigerant. Can anyone post some pics for me!! Would be greatly appreciated. BTW this is my first time doing this so any helpfull tips would be nice..thanks everyone
It's a nice sunny day here but I'm not posting a pic and leading someone to do the job wrong.

If you hit a curb and put a gash in your tire would you connect an air hose to it and expect it to inflate?

No, you wouldn't because it's obvious that the air leaked out of the gaping hole.

So,,, knowing you have a leak in your AC system why would you put a $30 +/- can of refrigerant in it?
Old 03-07-2009 | 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
It's a nice sunny day here but I'm not posting a pic and leading someone to do the job wrong.

If you hit a curb and put a gash in your tire would you connect an air hose to it and expect it to inflate?

No, you wouldn't because it's obvious that the air leaked out of the gaping hole.

So,,, knowing you have a leak in your AC system why would you put a $30 +/- can of refrigerant in it?
Well there are directions on the can only problem is I don't know where to connect it. Plus I wouldn't blame anyone if I did the job wrong. I just need to see an image of where it needs to connect I can't get that then **** it. I didn't ask for a smart *** remark!
Old 03-07-2009 | 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rican_boi310
I just need to see an image of where it needs to connect I can't get that then **** it. I didn't ask for a smart *** remark!
Smart *** remark? Thanks. All I'm saying is that the refrigerant is going to leak back out just like the original did. That means you lose money. I'm trying to give you advice to save money, yet I'm a smartass?
Put the **** in the car or just blow it into the air, same end result.
It's your money waste it as you will you ******* retard.

It's the ******* black thumb cap on the accumulator, the accumulator is the aluminum can with AC hoses connected to it.
Old 03-07-2009 | 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Smart *** remark? Thanks. All I'm saying is that the refrigerant is going to leak back out just like the original did. That means you lose money. I'm trying to give you advice to save money, yet I'm a smartass?
Put the **** in the car or just blow it into the air, same end result.
It's your money waste it as you will you ******* retard.

It's the ******* black thumb cap on the accumulator, the accumulator is the aluminum can with AC hoses connected to it.
Thanks man. Thats all I needed to know. And I'm not losing money because my friend had an extra can. You don't have be a liitle kid with the name calling. It just sounded like you were being a smart ***. But anyways thanks for the info. I will try it out. If it doesn't work then I'll assume I'll have to take the car in to get the ac fixed.
Old 03-08-2009 | 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Just make sure you connect it to the LOW pressure side the cover will have an L do NOT connect to the H or the HIGH pressure side
Old 03-08-2009 | 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=ddm3889;11199567]Just make sure you connect it to the LOW pressure side the cover will have an L do NOT connect to the H or the HIGH pressure side[/QUOTE

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-08-2009 | 06:40 AM
TECH Junkie

You are aware, of course, that there is a leak, however slight. My LT-1 uses 2 pounds of refrigerant, your car should be similar. I would suggest using one can of regular R-134 and one with a leak detector. It will show a color (red?) where the leak(s) is (are). They usually occur where hoses or pipes join, usually b/c the o-rings dry out from lack of usage of the system.
Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:14 AM
Banned

FYI You cant put the connector on the wrong one, it doesn't fit. They designed it like this for safety reasons.
Heres a pic of when I did my AC, this was during the evacuation, the yellow hose is connected to the low side access fitting.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-08-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm trying to read the original post and figure out where you guys got that he has a leak.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. How do you guys know he does?

If it's a 2002 on the factory fill, couldn't it just need recharging?
Old 03-08-2009 | 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

FYI You cant put the connector on the wrong one, it doesn't fit. They designed it like this for safety reasons.
Heres a pic of when I did my AC, this was during the evacuation, the yellow hose is connected to the low side access fitting.
thanks for the pic. Hopefully it works fine after I recharge it.
Old 03-08-2009 | 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You are aware, of course, that there is a leak, however slight. My LT-1 uses 2 pounds of refrigerant, your car should be similar. I would suggest using one can of regular R-134 and one with a leak detector. It will show a color (red?) where the leak(s) is (are). They usually occur where hoses or pipes join, usually b/c the o-rings dry out from lack of usage of the system.
Just a thought.
I'll definitely use the leak detector also. Thanks
Old 03-08-2009 | 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I'm trying to read the original post and figure out where you guys got that he has a leak.

It was on a factory fill. So hopefully it's not a leak. But I'm pretty sure it's no more then 50 bucks to fix an ac leak. But then again I could be wrong. Thanks for the info everyone. Greatly appreciated
Old 03-08-2009 | 03:00 PM
Banned

Where do you suppose the refrigerant went?
I always use the flat tire example, same here. If you went to your car and found a flat tire do you think the air just disappeared? Fill it up and you're good to go for a few more years?

I am an HVAC/R tech, I've worked on everything from little reach in refrigerators to systems for skyscrapers. I am EPA universally certified to handle all types of refrigerants, and I have handled at least 20 different types.

Refrigerant will last forever, literally forever in an AC system. It never disappears, never changes state, never wears out as long as the system doesn't have a mechanical or electrical failure. It will remain as it was when it was new, literally until the world ends.

If your refrigerant is gone, theres a leak. If it's gone and there is not a leak then someone has let it out.

I'm kind of sick of the no cold air = add refrigerant attitude people have.
The OP asked where to connect the hose, I focused on why he's adding refrigerant. There are hundreds of reasons why his AC is not blowing cold, but he only asked where to connect the line. I tried offering advice to diagnose it, was called a smartass.
**** it.
He could very well have a full refrigerant charge already, and it's not blowing cold for other reasons.
I'm doing this for free, on the other end of my computer free advice is worth the price whether it was asked for or not.
On my end of the computer I'm spending my time and getting nothing, well getting called a smartass.

So **** it. Have fun working on your AC
Old 03-08-2009 | 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Where do you suppose the refrigerant went?
I always use the flat tire example, same here. If you went to your car and found a flat tire do you think the air just disappeared? Fill it up and you're good to go for a few more years?

I am an HVAC/R tech, I've worked on everything from little reach in refrigerators to systems for skyscrapers. I am EPA universally certified to handle all types of refrigerants, and I have handled at least 20 different types.

Refrigerant will last forever, literally forever in an AC system. It never disappears, never changes state, never wears out as long as the system doesn't have a mechanical or electrical failure. It will remain as it was when it was new, literally until the world ends.

If your refrigerant is gone, theres a leak. If it's gone and there is not a leak then someone has let it out.

I'm kind of sick of the no cold air = add refrigerant attitude people have.
The OP asked where to connect the hose, I focused on why he's adding refrigerant. There are hundreds of reasons why his AC is not blowing cold, but he only asked where to connect the line. I tried offering advice to diagnose it, was called a smartass.
**** it.
He could very well have a full refrigerant charge already, and it's not blowing cold for other reasons.
I'm doing this for free, on the other end of my computer free advice is worth the price whether it was asked for or not.
On my end of the computer I'm spending my time and getting nothing, well getting called a smartass.

So **** it. Have fun working on your AC
LOL! So no one should add air to a tire ever??? To do so would be failing to address the tire's obvious leak? lol Well, I'll tell you what... Every year or so I check my tires on my daily... Guess what... I'm off a couple of pounds... I guess I have flats? I look for nails or punctures but don't find any??? Hmmm??? Yes they're leaking air... Do I need to fix the tires? Probably not. Determine yourself not to add air to a tire under any circumstances for ten years... They'd probably be flat. I guess they'd all be broken, lol.

You should know it's not easy to contain a gas PERFECTLY and INDEFINITELY, and I doubt GM at least has accomplished THAT in our F-body's. A 10 year old AC system might have lost the refrigerant out of seals in the system... If you could fill that up and last another ten years, I PERSONALLY would not consider that a leak worth repairing, unless I like blowing money. The OP should inspect for a significant leak of course, or oil around the compressor etc. Of course I wouldn't use the cans either. I'd take it to someone (like you) with the right tools and the machine to evacuate the system properly (not into the air) and fill it correctly and change the orifice tube, inspect/change/clean the condenser, etc... At this point possible leaks, significant leaks, should be looked for and addressed... Of course the OP has a leak, but to what degree? That's all I meant... Some of you were talking as if you KNEW he had a really bad leak or something... I guess I misunderstood. NO PROBLEM.

No one's not appreciating your expertise... That's welcome... But you do come off like a smartass, and if it seems to be a show of ingratitude to you that people call you out on it, then stop helping people... There are other users here that can offer the same help you would and do it politely. We're all here to chat and have good time... You're getting free advice as well, whether you asked for it or not. You should take it.

Here, this was unnecessary:

Old 03-08-2009 | 05:09 PM
Banned

LOL! So no one should add air to a tire ever??? To do so would be failing to address the tire's obvious leak? lol Well, I'll tell you what... Every year or so I check my tires on my daily... Guess what... I'm off a couple of pounds... I guess I have flats? I look for nails or punctures but don't find any??? Hmmm??? Yes they're leaking air... Do I need to fix the tires? Probably not. Determine yourself not to add air to a tire under any circumstances for ten years... They'd probably be flat. I guess they'd all be broken, lol.

You should know it's not easy to contain a gas PERFECTLY and INDEFINITELY, and I doubt GM at least has accomplished THAT in our F-body's. A 10 year old AC system might have lost the refrigerant out of seals in the system... If you could fill that up and last another ten years, I PERSONALLY would not consider that a leak worth repairing, unless I like blowing money. The OP should inspect for a significant leak of course, or oil around the compressor etc. Of course I wouldn't use the cans either. I'd take it to someone (like you) with the right tools and the machine to evacuate the system properly (not into the air) and fill it correctly and change the orifice tube, inspect/change/clean the condenser, etc... At this point possible leaks, significant leaks, should be looked for and addressed... Of course the OP has a leak, but to what degree? That's all I meant... Some of you were talking as if you KNEW he had a really bad leak or something... I guess I misunderstood. NO PROBLEM.

No one's not appreciating your expertise... That's welcome... But you do come off like a smartass, and if it seems to be a show of ingratitude to you that people call you out on it, then stop helping people... There are other users here that can offer the same help you would and do it politely. We're all here to chat and have good time... You're getting free advice as well, whether you asked for it or not. You should take it.

Here, this was unnecessary:
So informing the guy he's about to waste $30 is unnecessary? ok I can agree with that, because no matter how much advice someone recieves, they never listen. My reply to this thread was unnecessary.

My point about the tire...see how in depth you went with your explaination about tire air.
Thats why I use it as an example, it's obvious, you know it, you never went to 'tire school', it's easy to understand.
If I used technical terms about AC stuff no one would get it.

And just FYI evacuation of an AC system is done to an empty system, it's done to pull a vacuum and remove non condensibles. You were refering to recovery. Recovery is the process of taking refrigerant out.

I don't know how to type and not come off as a smartass so I hope this doesn't offend you.

Maybe the site should incorperate something like the trader rating, except a sensitivity rating for each user. This way people can either type raw text without emotion, straight facts. Or in the case of a more sensitive user, type kind words more bullshit, and pampering of emotions. Just an idea.
Old 03-08-2009 | 05:39 PM
Launching!

/wonderin' if add a can kicked his system over or not..?
Old 03-08-2009 | 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

So informing the guy he's about to waste $30 is unnecessary? ok I can agree with that, because no matter how much advice someone recieves, they never listen. My reply to this thread was unnecessary.
No, implying HE KNOWS THERE IS a leak and is wasting the money knowingly, insulting him in the process, is unnecessary. Of course he wouldn't be wasting the money if he knew it was a waste. He's not an idiot.

My point about the tire...see how in depth you went with your explaination about tire air.
Thats why I use it as an example, it's obvious, you know it, you never went to 'tire school', it's easy to understand.
If I used technical terms about AC stuff no one would get it.
Technical terms or not, that is irrelevant to being a smart *** or not... You could present some advice with the jargon or without the jargon BUT without the smart *** delivery.

And just FYI evacuation of an AC system is done to an empty system, it's done to pull a vacuum and remove non condensibles. You were refering to recovery. Recovery is the process of taking refrigerant out.

I don't know how to type and not come off as a smartass so I hope this doesn't offend you.
No, you would be offensive if you were right about what I was referring. But you're wrong... If I had a leak that eventually expelled all refrigerant and that caused me to take it to an AC repair technician, the technician would be inspecting for leaks, addressing them if found, and performing an evacuation, like I posted, since the system is at his shop because it's empty, as I stated,

A 10 year old AC system might have lost the refrigerant out... I'd take it to someone (like you) with the right tools and the machine to evacuate the system properly...
But thanks for presenting the information without any insults... That's how you should always post, and I'm sure everyone would be very grateful and appreciative of your help. I probably confused you by mentioning about "into the air" but I was referring to people that do that in their garages, playing around with AC systems trying to fix it themselves having two thoughts at once but typing one, but in my example I mentioned a 10 year old car with no refrigerant because it had leaked out slowly in those ten years. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe the site should incorperate something like the trader rating, except a sensitivity rating for each user. This way people can either type raw text without emotion, straight facts. Or in the case of a more sensitive user, type kind words more bullshit, and pampering of emotions. Just an idea.
You could sure use such a feature yourself, as evidenced by this reaction to being called a smartass:

I'm trying to give you advice to save money, yet I'm a smartass? It's your money waste it as you will you ******* retard... I'm kind of sick of the no cold air = add refrigerant attitude people have... **** it...
I'm doing this for free, on the other end of my computer free advice is worth the price whether it was asked for or not...
Boo-*******-hoo... If such a trader rating were to be implemented, clearly yours would reflect a higher sensitivity than the OP's.

More unnecessary than your replies (by your own admission) of advice to posters here are the replies of advice to YOU that you come across as a smartass without any provocation... Now those are unnecessary. You're obviously not going to listen anyway. But you gotta give me credit for trying... People will keep adding refrigerant to leaking systems with no need, and people will keep feeling better about themselves by putting other people down... Such is life, huh?
Old 03-08-2009 | 06:17 PM
Banned

More unnecessary than your replies (by your own admission) of advice to posters here are the replies of advice to YOU that you come across as a smartass without any provocation... Now those are unnecessary. You're obviously not going to listen anyway. But you gotta give me credit for trying... People will keep adding refrigerant to leaking systems with no need, and people will keep feeling better about themselves by putting other people down... Such is life, huh?
**** your bullshit. I'm going to post what I post how I've been posting it. I'm not changing **** for you.
And if this comment gets me banned I'll be posting the same way when I come back.
Right now I'm going go argue with my tire, it'll probably be about as intellectual an arguement as this one.

Quick Reply: AC recharge: Help needed